IGNORED

Ran out of gas. Again!

ken

About a month ago I was on my way home from work. With about 25 miles to go my fuel light came on. The gage still showed 3 bars. Well 10 mile later she runs out. I have to stop, lean the bike over, turn on the key till the pump stops. Drive for a few miles and do it again. I stopped 3 time before I made it to a gas station. I filled her up as far as I could and it only took 4.6 gallons. The same thing happend last night and when I made it to the gas station I could only get 4.5 gallons in and that gage still had two bars. Has anyone else had this problem. Where is the other 1.5 gallons?

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? How about removing the petcock and cleaning the screens?

Just for reference, I have about 100,000 miles on my 2005, I ALWAYS push way into reserve before I fill up (generally 40 miles on reserve, which I always consider safe), and I have NEVER run out of gas except the few times that I specifically intended to push it beyond the safe limits (and had extra gas with me).

Goose

My RSV only holds 5.5 gallons from walking to full. One of which is the reserve gallon. If yours is the same it sounds like your reserve valve is plugged as etcswjoe said. You are getting 4.5 gallons and no reserve. I have found the low fuel warning light and low fuel mileage counter to be less than consistant. The reserve valve though always provides me with one gallon.

My RSV only holds 5.5 gallons from walking to full. One of which is the reserve gallon. If yours is the same it sounds like your reserve valve is plugged as etcswjoe said. You are getting 4.5 gallons and no reserve. I have found the low fuel warning light and low fuel mileage counter to be less than consistant. The reserve valve though always provides me with one gallon.

I know you think you know about your own bike, but in this case, I do not believe you are correct.

All RSVs actually do hold 6 gallons of gas - I have proved this many times, and unless you are just droning along on a flat, straight highway, all six gallons are actually useable.

But unless you have vented your filler neck, it is almost impossible to get more than 5.5 gallons into the tank. So it is totally understandable for an owner to think their bike does not hold 6 gallons.

A bit more puzzling is disagreement on the reserve amount. Although the book says the reserve is 1 gallon, every RSV I have checked actually goes on reserve with 1.5 gallons left. And this is completely independent of how much gas you actually started with. Of course, it is much easier to believe that the petcock and fuel sensor could be off for the occasional bike than it is that maybe they just made a smaller gas tank once in a while! If your tank filler neck is not vented and you fill up as soon as the bike goes on reserve, you should be able to easily get only 4 gallons of gas in the tank.

Goose

V7Goose

You are correct. I have not vented my gas tank yet. So it only holds 5.5 gallons from walking to as full as I can get it at a pump. I know this because I have made the walk. Also I have filled the tank just as I switched to reserve 4.5 gallons on many occasions. Once I drill vent holes in the filler neck I hope to get the full six gallons. Until then it is 4.5 plus one in reserve.

Mike

Edit; PS I switch to reserve when the engine begins to choke and loose power.

Edited by MikeWa

As said by a few here, the guage and low fuel sensor are somewhat inconsistent.

The tank on the bike before the deer hit 2 years ago took 4.5 if I hit a gas station as soon as the light went on (ps, I just leave mine on reserve,). The new tank, or they bent something when the guage got swapped, only takes 4.3 at the same point. But, I have run as far as putting 5.5 gallons in, and I don't have my filler neck vented, YET.

And I haven't walked, YET.:thumbsup2:

Just my :2cents: , Scooter Bob

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NOW I FEEL REALLY STUPID!! I've had my bike completely apart and with the post of this thread just now realized my fuel pitcock has a reserve position:shock3:. I guess I just assumed when the fuel light comes on was the point when the reserve started.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NOW I FEEL REALLY STUPID!! I've had my bike completely apart and with the post of this thread just now realized my fuel pitcock has a reserve position:shock3:. I guess I just assumed when the fuel light comes on was the point when the reserve started.

Then your bike is fine and is was operator error.

U R IN OhIo, it's understandable. Just kidding, thought I was talking with a co-worker. LOL

"DO NOT DRILL. Use a punch. That way you don't drop shavings into the fuel tank and you don't create heat."

OR SPARKS!

use waxpaper and a sharp punch...

Ya, I was wondering how you folks did this. Have read a lot about it. I will see if I can find in the tech library. If for no other reason, I would like to fill almost completely with out the gas bubbling/popping back out onto my tank and bib. Don't mean to rob the thread here, but seems no one is going to give up the information with out asking. Wax paper and a sharp punch, is that all ?

Originally Posted by ken

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NOW I FEEL REALLY STUPID!!

Sorry to here Ken, but do not feel bad. You are not the only one that has posted some kinda stupid things here. I found out that I do not know as much about the tires than I thought (bias/radial).

Fuzzy

Ya, I was wondering how you folks did this. Have read a lot about it. I will see if I can find in the tech library. If for no other reason, I would like to fill almost completely with out the gas bubbling/popping back out onto my tank and bib. Don't mean to rob the thread here, but seems no one is going to give up the information with out asking. Wax paper and a sharp punch, is that all ?

Originally Posted by ken

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NOW I FEEL REALLY STUPID!!

Sorry to here Ken, but do not feel bad. You are not the only one that has posted some kinda stupid things here. I found out that I do not know as much about the tires than I thought (bias/radial).

Fuzzy

All the information has been in the tech library for 5 years:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=302

But thanx for making me go look at it - I'm gonna edit that thread - it seems to have some bad info from several posters. Here are the significant points:

NEVER NEVER NEVER drill! Not only will that dump metal shavings into the tank, but all drill motors create sparks!

When you use a punch awl, just put the tip in contact with the filler neck and hit it enough times to make the hole as large as the awl shank (not just a little hole from the tip). You will need a MINIMUM for four large holes to make a big difference. I have no idea if wax paper provides any value at all, but it can't hurt. I also suggest putting a thick towl or something over the tank near the awl head so you do not accidentally slip and mar the tank with the hammer.

Several folks have said to do this with a full tank - I disagree. If it is too full, the vibrations from the hammer blows will splash gas all over you. If you have to do it with a full tank, place a rage over the opening. I think that any level below the filler neck is probably OK.

Goose

As an added note, if you have the vent holes and add the extra fuel...

Ride it right away.

Cold fuel from the ground will expand some as it warms up to outside air temp.

If you fuel up and then sit down to eat, or park it at work, you will lose some of that fuel onto the ground from the overflow tube.

As an added note, if you have the vent holes and add the extra fuel...

Ride it right away.

Cold fuel from the ground will expand some as it warms up to outside air temp.

If you fuel up and then sit down to eat, or park it at work, you will lose some of that fuel onto the ground from the overflow tube.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I used a large nail as punch when I vented the filler neck on our RSV. I put four evenly spaced holes in the filler neck.

DO NOT DRILL. Use a punch. That way you don't drop shavings into the fuel tank and you don't create heat.

Thanks Buddy

I was thinking of using nitrogen or filling the tank with water or some such thing. But if a punch works that sounds much better.

Ken

Glad things worked out for you.

Mike

Your assumption is exactly how many of us operate. We just leave the petcock on reserve all the time and rely completely on the three other indicators (fuel gauge/warning light/trip meter) to know when we are on reserve - just like you were doing. My gauge is very consistent, and I know when the "F" trip meter first comes up I have a minimum of 1.5 gallons left, which is 40-60 miles, depending on my speed. So having to move the petcock from regular to reserve provides zero value to me unless I happen to be riding with my eyes closed.

Goose

All the information has been in the tech library for 5 years:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=302

But thanx for making me go look at it - I'm gonna edit that thread - it seems to have some bad info from several posters. Here are the significant points:

NEVER NEVER NEVER drill! Not only will that dump metal shavings into the tank, but all drill motors create sparks!

When you use a punch awl, just put the tip in contact with the filler neck and hit it enough times to make the hole as large as the awl shank (not just a little hole from the tip). You will need a MINIMUM for four large holes to make a big difference. I have no idea if wax paper provides any value at all, but it can't hurt. I also suggest putting a thick towl or something over the tank near the awl head so you do not accidentally slip and mar the tank with the hammer.

Several folks have said to do this with a full tank - I disagree. If it is too full, the vibrations from the hammer blows will splash gas all over you. If you have to do it with a full tank, place a rage over the opening. I think that any level below the filler neck is probably OK.

Goose

Thanks Goose. I did a search in the tech library under engine and somewhere else. Did not do search under the body/paint section. I think I need to go to school on the searching for things here on the sight. I did look also through several thread areas there in the library and had no luck.:smash2: I checked this out and will be doing this sometime shortly.:thumbsup2:

Fuzzy