IGNORED

Computer help please

ragtop69gs

I just got 6 old laptops from work that they were going to trash, the one in question is a Dell Insipiron 2500 with Win 2000 pro. The person that used this computer no longer works there and it's password protected, no one know what it may be, is there any way I can get around this and reset the user and password. I don't want to do a fresh install because there are some programs i suspect on there that I want to keep and use.

You can use a product call NT Password Reset. Google search for the download. It is free.

Here is a tutorial on using it.

http://www.windows-password-reset.com/tutorials/Offline%20NT%20Password%20Reset.htm

Works for windows 2000 and XP as well as Vista and Windows 7

This is assuming that the password that you need to get around is the windows password. Another possibility is try logging on as the Administrator. Sometimes there is no password for that account.

IF the password is at the BIOS level before ANYTHING starts to load you may have to find out where the reset for the CMOS is (if there is one) IBM units cannot be done but this is a Dell so you may be in luck.

Edited by Wizard765

You can use a product call NT Password Reset. Google search for the download. It is free.

Here is a tutorial on using it.

http://www.windows-password-reset.com/tutorials/Offline%20NT%20Password%20Reset.htm

Works for windows 2000 and XP as well as Vista and Windows 7

This is assuming that the password that you need to get around is the windows password. Another possibility is try logging on as the Administrator. Sometimes there is no password for that account.

IF the password is at the BIOS level before ANYTHING starts to load you may have to find out where the reset for the CMOS is (if there is one) IBM units cannot be done but this is a Dell so you may be in luck.

I haven't used that tool yet but will look into it looks fairly good. I use and have for some years a Linux tool that is similar, and works very well. You have to READ the screen to move from step to step. I don't have the link to it here with me but will look for it, and post it. I would suggest to just reload it with XP if it has 512 Ram or more, and be done with it.

If you did not have a good IT department you can start in safe mode and go in through the admin account.

If he DID have a good IT department, all of those machines would already be wiped clean.

... and, if he did have a good IT department, the Admin account would have been passworded as well as the BIOS

All the drive designations were changed A was B, I never did figure out what the boot drive letter was! There were no bios or HD passwords. Couldn't login as admin.

A ?? ... how old is this computer?

The boot drive is defined in the bios and not as A or B or C, etc but rather as Floppy or CDROM or Hard Drive. Generally if you have all 3 it will search for a boot loader on whatever device is the first boot ... and if it doesn't find it there, it will go to the second, then third device as defined in the bios.

Having said that, some older computers may have been different.... I've forgotten as it's been a while since I've worked with older equipment.

Oh yeah... and I am suffereing from C.R.S. as well.

EDIT: oooopsie ... my BAD.. I just looked at my system's bios and it does have A and B (nothing there tho). I guess I never look at that anymore coz I haven't seen a floppy drive in a computer for at least 6 years LOL ... least not the ones I've been working with.

Edited by SilvrT

A ?? ... how old is this computer?

The boot drive is defined in the bios and not as A or B or C, etc but rather as Floppy or CDROM or Hard Drive. Generally if you have all 3 it will search for a boot loader on whatever device is the first boot ... and if it doesn't find it there, it will go to the second, then third device as defined in the bios.

Having said that, some older computers may have been different.... I've forgotten as it's been a while since I've worked with older equipment.

Oh yeah... and I am suffereing from C.R.S. as well.

EDIT: oooopsie ... my BAD.. I just looked at my system's bios and it does have A and B (nothing there tho). I guess I never look at that anymore coz I haven't seen a floppy drive in a computer for at least 6 years LOL ... least not the ones I've been working with.

Well it came from the oem with win ME :doh: so I'd guess mid 90's. The HD was listed in bios but when I booted to dos with a floppy and tried to change to C: drive it said invalid drive :think: A: & B: were the floppy drive :doh: Boot order was HD - Floppy - CD I changed it to CD - HD - Floppy and loaded XP Pro w/ service pack 2. All is well it's up and running now, albeit slow by today's standards.