IGNORED

Bought a 2008

Old Texan

Just returned from Illinois with a 2008 RSV. Yamaha's are new to me as I've always been a GW rider until I got stupid and dumped mine off a 12 ft deep embankment, but I couldn't resist this bike when I found out it only had 1969 miles on it and the previous owner just needed to get out from under the payments. So far like a lot of posts I've read the biggest problem has been getting use to moving my feet forward instead of straight up. The other thing is the engine sounds a bit tinny to me compared to the 6 cyl wing, and doesn't have near the power. Other then those minor changes I love my RSV. I'll be making some changes to the lighting as soon as my pocketbook allows and possibly a seat upgrade. Thanks to everyone who has posted what they've done to improve this great machine. Hope to meet some other RSV riders who live around the DFW area.

Until then keep the shiny side up.

Jim

Congrats on the new ride and WELCOME to the Family!! when you sign up, it will be the best $12.00 you ever spent!! We have alot of get togethers, rides, maint. Days and all kinds of fun, here in SE Texas... there are a few members in your area as well, we will all hook up some day. just jump on in and don`t be shy... we also need pics of the new ride..

enjoy!!! and Ride Safe!!

Kreg

Just returned from Illinois with a 2008 RSV. Yamaha's are new to me as I've always been a GW rider until I got stupid and dumped mine off a 12 ft deep embankment, but I couldn't resist this bike when I found out it only had 1969 miles on it and the previous owner just needed to get out from under the payments. So far like a lot of posts I've read the biggest problem has been getting use to moving my feet forward instead of straight up. The other thing is the engine sounds a bit tinny to me compared to the 6 cyl wing, and doesn't have near the power.

Jim

Jim, I've been a wing owner X-3 and an RSV owner X-3. Frankly the first long trip you take you'll never go back to Wing due to comfort. Of course, there are many on this forum that will argue with that but you will make your own choice. Have a blast, highway pegs and a good digital tail/brake light bar, plus a fog light bar and you're set. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Hi Jim, and welcome.

The Venture motor will run with any Wing, but the motor makes most of its power at higher revs, where the Wing makes a lot of power at lower revs. I've owned three Wings including a 2003 1800 (overheater) and have not been the least disappointed in the power delivery of my 07 Venture by comparison.

Cmon...... we're gonna need more than THAT!!!!!!:stickpoke:

OK I really don't like to admit to being stupid but what happened was I was riding with a few friends on a lunch run. On the way back we were running late and had picked up the pace a lot. After leaving Joshue Tx we encountered a series of 30 mph posted S curves which we were taking at about 50. The first few were no problem but after completing the right hand portion and turning through the left hand curve I accelerated like I normally do and probably put some pressure on the right handlebar. At that point counter steering took over and the bike stood straight up, I was riding on the outside of the lane and didn't have time to react so off the road I went and down a embankment which was about 12 to 14 feet down at about a 45 deg angle There were trees in front of me so I bailed off and wasn't hurt to severely. The bike really had little damage but the insurance company decided to Total it and that's how I wound up with my RSV. The Wing is currently at Co-Part and I'm watching the bids, if I can get it back at a reasonable cost I'll spend the few dollars to put it back together and sell it.