IGNORED

Newb needs some help finding a gen1 fairing part

Hi guys,

Nice forum!

I am a new Venture owner and loving it! I just picked up a Gen 1 VR (86) and I could use some help finding a part.

Overall the bike is in great shape but it was dropped by the previous owner and caused some fairing damage.

http://www.raymondstacy.com/vr1.jpg

I have spent the last few days checking Ebay, CL, Google and I haven't had any luck finding the piece. Any help that you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Ray

Ray, as noted, welcome to the site. That looks like it would be a little difficult to fix, even if you had the broken parts. They do come and go on ebay and sometimes they go surpisingly cheap and sometimes not. Sometimes you can pick up one with minor damage and with a couple of different plastic repair epoxys available, they can be fixed.

Hope you join us as it will be the best $12 you will ever spend on your bike.

RandyA

Welcome also to the site. Greatest place for information. I think I have a replacement, not in perfect shape but better than what you seem to have there.

I'm gone until Monday, pm me then if something else hasn't come along to your satisfaction.

Dave

Hi guys,

Nice forum!

I am a new Venture owner and loving it! I just picked up a Gen 1 VR (86) and I could use some help finding a part.

Overall the bike is in great shape but it was dropped by the previous owner and caused some fairing damage.

http://www.raymondstacy.com/vr1.jpg

I have spent the last few days checking Ebay, CL, Google and I haven't had any luck finding the piece. Any help that you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Ray

Welcome to the site. It looks like you're going to need more than just the LH upper fairing. The sub-dash/speaker housing doesn't look in too gooda shape either. Don't toss that chrome vent when you do find one off an '86.

Thanks guys. I am definitely joining . You cant beat the information here. I have been reading a lot of the posts over the last few days and the members seem to really want to help.

I would have tried fixing this if the guy had kept the parts but he didn't.

I will PM Dave and see what he has.

My other Yamaha is an 82 Maxim which I love but I have always wanted a cruiser and this bike came along for $1000.00.

Although it isn't that bad, I will enjoy digging up parts and making it whole again.

http://www.raymondstacy.com/vr2.jpg

Welcome to the site. As said before you have chosen an awesome bike. They are good performers and you will get years of enjoyment out of it. As Condor said, you will need more than you think to fix this, but the parts are out there. I have a 90 VR and I love it. It is some work but I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of mine. Mine didn't run real good when I first got it, but with patience and a lot of help from this great bunch of people, it is in great running condition. They have a really solid power plant and are long mileage macines. Just read some of the articles in the tech section and you will learn a lot. Excellent price too!:080402gudl_prv:

Edited by Zane
duh!

Welxcome aboard Ray!! Yes I have the dash piece you need. The upper fairing on the other hand I do not have one to match but do have pieces in fair to good shape but wrong color. Two options, either drive out here to pick it up, or get to know Jaycee's Folly in Irondquiot and he may bring the dash piece back from my 4th of July party. Of course you are welcome to attend as well, we can install it then too!!!

Condor got me to thinking so I went out and took a closer look. Sure enough the mount was bent right were the mirror mounts to it. I was able to straighten it out and now the pieces look better but there is still a big hole where plastic used to be and you guys are right, the dash is pretty broken up as well.

I'm anxious to see what Dave and Bob have and how I might be able to use it on my bike.

Bob you are only 2 hours away from me. A ride in that direction could be the perfect first trip for this bike.

Ray

I just thought that I would tell you guys that the support you have given me just on my first thread was so impressive that I just joined. I was going to let the trial run and then join but why? This place rocks!

Ray

My brother just parted out a 1st gen got some fairing parts, new carbs, wind sheild, front and rear brake system complete,rear wheel with new tire, etc. said he would let it all go for $300. Came of a great bike,was running perfect the day he tore it apart, said he needed the money and had a second bike.:95: His name is Tony, number is 228-697-4146. Anyone want the parts, he's gott'em. Carl

My brother just parted out a 1st gen got some fairing parts, new carbs, wind sheild, front and rear brake system complete,rear wheel with new tire, etc. said he would let it all go for $300. Came of a great bike,was running perfect the day he tore it apart, said he needed the money and had a second bike.:95: His name is Tony, number is 228-697-4146. Anyone want the parts, he's gott'em. Carl

What year?

Ill give him a call later this morning. Thanks!

Hi:

As Bongo Bob said, I live in Irondequoit and I have a left fairing I will give you for free. I have other panel parts that might be repairable also. The fairing is red and will not match your color scheme, but it is in very good shape. I will PM you my phone numbers so you can call me. I will be available all day tomorrow (Sunday) if you want to pick it up and look at the other panels I have.

Jim

Hi:

As Bongo Bob said, I live in Irondequoit and I have a left fairing I will give you for free. I have other panel parts that might be repairable also. The fairing is red and will not match your color scheme, but it is in very good shape. I will PM you my phone numbers so you can call me. I will be available all day tomorrow (Sunday) if you want to pick it up and look at the other panels I have.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I will call you tomorrow.

Ray

So I went to see Jim Crane this weekend to pick the fairing panel. Jim was also kind of enough to give me a couple of other parts that I needed. I was really starting to feel guilty with all of the stuff that he was giving me. I will return the favor by giving parts to the first guy that I can help.

The parts were nice but the education that I received from Jim was priceless. He spent about 2 hours giving me a crash course on Venture motorcycles.

Thanks Jim!

I may even ride down to BongoBob's with Jim. It depends on how successful I am on getting a back tire on the bike this week.