IGNORED

My upcoming wild and semi crazy trip!

Brenda H

Another long post!!

OH FUN!! :mo money:

As some of you know, I'm buying TopCat's '96 RSTC. I'm flying out of Austin on Sunday to Chicago's O'Hare and then on what will be the "wild" part of the trip, flying down to my Mum's in Decatur, Ill. on a VERY small airline that flies CESSNA Caravans!!

I've never been in a small plane before so it could be quite an experience! I'm hoping that Chicago doesn't throw a monkey wrench into things like they did the last time I flew up there by grounding all small planes coming in and out of the airport. The last time I flew home, while on the trip back, the flight I was on got grounded at Champaign, about 50 miles from Decatur as they were not going to be allowed to land at O'Hare. I was lucky in that I still had an aunt living there at the time and I spent the night at her place. Well the trip to the Mum's is a direct flight but O'Hare lives up to Chicago's "Windy City" nickname, sometimes with a vengeance! The hubby flew up to Minneapolis this past week. His flight path took him thru O'Hare and he had to stay at the St Louis airport for several hours for that reason.

Now the part of the trip that I may need help with is the "going home" part as I'm riding the bike back. The "new" Not So Wee Beastie hasn't been ridden much since TopCat bought it 2 years ago. I'm making a not so small detour on my way home to make the MD at KBran's place in Louisiana so that the bike can get a fairly thorough going over before I head for Brenham from there. Plans are to stop at Blytheville, Ark. on the 30th and make it the rest of the way to Covington, La. on July 1st for the gathering at Kenny's in Bogalusa the next day. The route is Decatur - Springfield, Ill. - St. Louis - stop at Blytheville, Ar. - cross the Big Muddy at Memphis - then straight down I 55 to I 12 and Covington.

I've made a point of basically splitting the trip to Covington in half so in case of trouble or bad weather, I'd have the time to pull over and wait it out. One reason why I did not decide on the direct route due south from Decatur is that it goes right thru the middle of Cairo, Ill where all the flooding has been. I'd appreciate knowing about anyone along the route who can lend a hand if I have problems with the bike. I'd also be more than interested in semi-scheduling breakfast, lunch, or dinner with any VRO members along the route depending on what time I pass thru their neck of the woods.

:fingers-crossed-emo I'm hoping Mother Nature decides not to dump on me :250: while I'm on the road [just do it at home PLEASE!!] but that hasn't stopped me from packing both sets of rain gear!

I will post how my travels are doing and let everyone know just how the "new" Beastie is working out.

C YA!!

Hope you have a safe ride Brenda. The small plane was kinda scary for me the first time flying. I had to take a small aircraft from Lexington to Louisville, then from there a nice giant jet to Roy Rogers airport in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The small aircraft would fly into some turbulence and it feels as if the seat is gone. Took some getting used to. I flew for 3 weeks back and forth every weekend. Odd thing to me, in Oklahoma they call a pond, a tank. Congratulations on your new ride..... Does your husband ride any ?

I'd appreciate knowing about anyone along the route who can lend a hand if I have problems with the bike.

Brenda post your route if you've mapped out, and if you want to know who's in the areas your going to ride through , Look at the Member list header up on top of the page,go to comunity section it will show you who is where. Look for people on your route and maybe let them know when you think you're passing through.

Have a safe trip..

Hope you have a safe ride Brenda. The small plane was kinda scary for me the first time flying. I had to take a small aircraft from Lexington to Louisville, then from there a nice giant jet to Roy Rogers airport in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The small aircraft would fly into some turbulence and it feels as if the seat is gone. Took some getting used to. I flew for 3 weeks back and forth every weekend. Odd thing to me, in Oklahoma they call a pond, a tank. Congratulations on your new ride..... Does your husband ride any ?

"ROY" Rogers Airport?? Sorry guy, dear old Leonard Sly [if memory serves Rogers real name] has very little to do with that airport. The OKC airport is named for Oklahoma's favorite son, WILL Rogers! It is or was the 3rd largest airport in land mass in the US. Seems somebody finally got the idea that having a bunch more land than you needed was a good idea so you don't end up with folks living right at the end of your runways!

The hubby used to ride back when he was "young and stupid" [his words]. I've been trying to get him to at least get his mc license so we could ride together but no go. When his aunt found out I was riding a bike, I was subjected to a half hour lecture telling me in NO uncertain terms that I should sell my bike as it would get me killed. He was also instructed not to allow me to spend HIS money on MY bike! As it's not HIS money that pays for it, that's not a problem :D.

It wasn't 14, it was 8! And the lead pilot did a great "stand up" routine! The fun was finding ourselves the ONLY prop plane in take off mode at O'Hare [and single engine at that!]. As far as I could tell, it is the only prop based airline in that whole area of the #3 concourse at O'Hare. This bunch is watching their pennies. My "boarding pass" was basically a piece of register tape and the "ticket" was VERY similar to the basic paper/cardboard ones you can buy at the local Wally World.

Gettin on American at Austin was a real 3 ring circus. I had to go thru security twice as they most definitely didn't like the tool set I was carrying. I was trying to get everything I needed to bring along in my carry on luggage so I wouldn't have to pay AA $25 for ONE checked in bag. Plane was equipped with wi-fi but they wanted $10 for it. So I spent the trip using the Kindle program on my laptop to read a book [Tom Clancy]. Arrival at O'Hare was at the #3 concourse. Only problem was my arriving flight was at one end while the departing flight was at the other end. In between I had to go after my bag with the baggage claim area being somewhere else and go thru security a second time. Fun walking!

I'm currently sitting in the Mum's dining room waiting to be picked up by Enterprise so I can get my rental car.

BTW FF just what do you call a "small" plane? As far as commercial use goes, I don't know of any other airline using a single engine anything for passenger transport. The flight I was on was O'Hare/Decatur/St Louis and Air Choice One was running a special, Half price [in my case $25] for ANY one way ticket so the plane was full. Anyone interested in traveling in that area might just check them out. FAR more room [not to mention more comfortable seats {I took a nap}] on that lil Cessna than on any of the commercial jets in coach and a fun pair of guys flying it. As long as this outfit is still in business, I'll have a way of getting to Decatur both to and from one of the bigger airports.

Getting together with Terry tomorrow to pick up the new bike!!

Sorry but the Cessna Caravan is not a small plane, In my book at holding 14 passengers plus crew is still a good size airplane.

Sounds like a fun trip.

Depending on how the Caravan is outfitted it could be 8-14 passengers or even just a cargo plane.

You can get commercial in a Cessna 182 in and out of Milwaukee.

Thats a pilot + 3-5 passengers. But at 5 passengers they better be real little and have no luggage.

First impressions after an almost 400 mile day . . . . .

I can understand Steve's [bummer] comment about how Susi [LilSis] came back from her test ride with a Cheshire cat grin on her face. This bike is something else.

I can't flat foot the RSTC any more than I can a RSTD or RSV. Will definitely have to look at my options there. Susi suggested trying the stock seat that came with the bike along with the Mustang seat that is on it. She thought it might be a bit narrower/lower. But with a 1300 mile trip ahead of me and the choice between Mustang or stock, I'll take Mustang even if the stock seat has been "Butlerized" which this one has been. It got shipped home.

The bike will also need either different bars or risers. I'm at the full length of my arms and leaning forward a bit. My carpal affected hands are not "happy" with that situation. It's basically the same as the Wee Beastie before I put 4n1 risers on it. In fact I'm wondering if the risers I put on the Wee Beastie will fit this bike. HMMM??

So far the only problem I'm having is "fun" getting the bike to go into neutral when I'm stopped. I'm not sure if it's just due to the fact that I haven't gotten the hang of the bike is set up or if something is hanging up in the clutch. Well that is an issue that will be addressed at the shindig in La.

More later! Time for a quick shower and a few hours sleep before heading south again.

So far the only problem I'm having is "fun" getting the bike to go into neutral when I'm stopped.

Until somebody can check it out at Kenny's, if you know you want neutral, do it when moving, just before you stop (5-10MPH). You'll have a better match of engine speed to wheel speed, and the gears slack and it will should fall right in.

Enjoy the rest of your trip, Scooter Bob