IGNORED

Newbie looking for advice

winger53215

I am in the market for a cycle and have narrowed it dowm to the Venture or Voyager. I had a 2003 Goldwing but had to sell it because of the riding position. I like the standard features the Venture comes with and the Warranty. I am a 300lb guy and ride one up almost all the time. Are there any power issues with the 1300CC engine? I was leaning to the Voyager with the 1700cc but need advice from current owners. TYIA

Welcome, most of us would be a little opinionated but I doubt you would have any complaints with the 1300 cc's. The V4 likes the rpm's just don't drive it like a V twin

Good luck with your decision

Brad

I looked the new Voyager over when it first hit the show room here and I wasnt too impressed. You wont go wrong with the Venture and that 5 year warranty is great.

Depending what you read: (following are dyno'd numbers)

Voyager has 72hp/93ftlbs torque, 36mpg, wet weight 761

Venture has 79hp/77ftlbs torque, 40mpg, wet weight 869

If I was to buy new, I'd get the Voyager to get the new technology, FI, Audio, digital instruments, throttle by wire, etc.

If I bought used I'd go for the Venture at half the price. Some can still be had with some of the 5 year warranty remaining and low mileage.

I just returned from a 2,500 mile ride in the Ozarks with two Voyager's and my Venture. The bikes are very evenly matched. Just sayin...

I have ridden both and each has it's own perks, Venture is proven technology but a 99 is the same as a 2011, Venture has more options than Voyager standard and if you are less than 5 years old you have warranty. if you were ever to do 2 up riding You would want to go with the venture. The voyager is just not comfortable for average size 2 up riders. The voyage was definetly better balanced than the venture, obviously with a fuel injected 1700 cc you are coming into modern technology. it handled well in the corners and had great get up and go. However I always felt I was in the wrong gear(but am not used to riding a vtwin). both have great owners groups and forums. Good luck either way you will be happy with you choice.

I've got a friend who has had them all. He bought the new Voyager as soon as it came out. He is normally a boaster, about most anything. But I noticed after he got it, he rarely boasted about it, maybe gas mileage. Well as fate would have it, he got t-boned about 8 months later, totaled. Well when the dust settled, he did not get another.

He gave the RSV a thought but went to a Ultra Classic.

He had been in love with the Voyagers of the past but, apparently he did not feel the same about the new one. Just saying,,,,, PS: The Voyager did not do well in a wreck.

Mike G in SC

I am also a large man. I have no issues with the power required to haul my butt up and down the mountains of Pennsylvania. I ride a '99 with 90K mile on the odometer and it still has the same get up and go as when I bought it. I ride 2 up quite a bit and power has never been an issue and there is plenty of room for the operator and passenger. The RSV may be a little hard to handle at parking lot speeds but it cruises the highway like a dream. My wife won't ride anything else. Good luck in your search!

Unfortunately, you just missed Wisconsin Maintenance Day. Could have looked over several 2nd Gen Ventures (1999-2011) and scoped out mods and upgrades and met several members from this site as well to find out more.:doh:

As others have said, there is plenty of power to be had, you just need to get over 3 grand to start to really find it. Since you're coming from a wing, you shouldn't have much of a transition problem.

After 83,000 miles on mine, I still forget and try to grab another gear once in a while, as I came from HD's.:bang head:

Find a good dealer, and take one for a ride. I got mine in Delafeild in 2005, but they are out of business now. I don't know how good any other dealers are in your area.

Pro Motorsports in Fond du Lac will let you test ride with a lid on, Team Winnabegoland North of Oshkosh might let you test ride without a lid, if that's your preference.:confused24:

Good Luck, and Welcome Aboard, Scooter Bob

I hear you. m on a 1st genand at some point I will upgrade. Love my old girl just tired of having to work on it. for that reason alone I would lean to the venture for the warranty. After a test ride of the 2 bikes and just looking at the cosmetics of the bikes i prefer the voyager.

As already stated the only real way to see what you like is to try them out for yourself.

good luck

David

My opinion is the Venture is the nicer bike of the two. I do however like the looks of the Voyager alot and i'm sure that it is a nice bike, but i think the bags and the trunk seem to be kind of cheap compared to the Venture and don't hold as much storage. I love my bike and i think it was worth every penny i paid for it, and i have no regrets what so ever. The only thing that i probably would have done different is maybe bought a used one and save a few bucks. There are a ton of used ones out there on Craigslist with very low mileage on them at great prices. Also just like someone else said, all of the Ventures are exactly the same with no changes from 1999-2011 so it doesn't really matter what year that you get. It probably would be nice though to get one 2-3 years old that still is under warranty.

I think you have convinced me. I am going to look at a red 2011 one in Mukwonago at the Yamaha Dealer. They are advertizing a costom IPOD system with it.

The Venture is a sweet bike and you will not be sorry. You can ride these bikes all day long and not get tired. They ride like a dream!

I think you have convinced me. I am going to look at a red 2011 one in Mukwonago at the Yamaha Dealer. They are advertizing a costom IPOD system with it.

Better ride that thing up here to Fox Lake tomorrow and let me make sure the cassette deck works ok.:stickpoke:

Seriously, be sure to insist on a test ride. I think you'll find a much more comfy seating and leg room set up over the wing, but it does have to fit YOU.

BTW, I looked at a Voyager at Daytona a year ago, and couldn't get the saddle bag to close on the demo bike they were showing.:doh:

Enjoy, Scooter Bob

Glad you are going with Venture and welcome to the site.

Have them throw that system in with the deal. Also see if you can get a few free oil changes and filter. Do it yourself though. Make sure there is not any factory recalls and if so, have they been taken care of ?

My bike had a recall on the factory head bolt torque. The dealer did not tell me or act like they new, around 1,200 mile later I had a oil leak and it was fixed by another dealer with a mechanic I knew and trusted. He had to replace the head casket because of the failure to torque the bolts properly before they left the first dealer. He told me about the recall and fix that should have been done at the sale. This is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. I have had very few issues.

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD
Changed wording, sorry.

Make sure there is not any factory recalls and if so, have they been taken care of ? Fuzzy

Have there ever been any??:confused24:

I've bought an 05 mrsv new, and never heard of any recalls on it.

Only used the warranty once at 65,000 miles for a #3 coil and a rear shock.:scratchchin:

I think the only recall was on the '07 models for the improperly torqued head bolts. I don't know of any other actual recalls.

As for the price, I would need to know what kind of aftermarket mufflers are on it. Most can be had for less than $500.00. Otherwise, it doesn't sound bad. I've seen them a bit cheaper but he's not robbing you.

As for the price, I would need to know what kind of aftermarket mufflers are on it. Most can be had for less than $500.00.

Ya Boss, but I bet the dealer charges a bit more than we do at an MD for removal and installation of 8 small saddle bag bolts, 2 muffler clamp bolts, and 2 bracket bolts.:no-no-no:

We just work wwaaayy toooo cheap.:stickpoke::beersign: