IGNORED

Goose - Avon Expert

rumboogy

Hey Goose...I have gone through quite a few threads here on the Avons and even though there has been a problem with cracking, I bought them anyway because of the positive reports on handling and wear.

I bought my set online from Jake Wilson...got them today. Looking at the date codes this is what I see... The front tire is: 02411MA and the rear tire is: 02403MA

So does this mean the rear tire they sold me is 8 years old? Is this something I should be concerned with? It looks fine, but 8 years old seems a "tad" bit old considering the numbers of tires this company probably sells.

One last quick question...I saw conflicting reports on wet weather handling on the Venoms...your actual opinion.

Others feel free to leave opinions or comments too.

Thanks...

Wally

Check out this link on tire age:

http://motorcycleinfo.org/2008/06/motorcycle-tires-age/

Based on what you provided id say that the rear tire is 8 years old and I wouldnt use it. Tire compounds break down after a few years and an 8 year old tire would be just a bit too old for my tastes. If it is truly 8 years old then I would request that Jake Wilson either exchange it for a fresh one or refund your money.

Personally I have used Competition Accessories for my last 3 sets of Avon tires and they were all fresh, none more then a year old.

As far as wet handling goes I find the Avon performs very well there. The Metzeler handled well in the rain too but since I like my rubber to stay on its carcass well...........

Those are not date codes - no idea what they are. As mentioned above, the date code is a 4-digit numeric code in a recessed oval.

I find the wet weather performance of the Avon Venom tires exceptionally good. Since I ride all year long, no matter what the weather, I do get a fair amount of wet roads, and I do not tend to slow down in the rain! The Avons have always inspired total confidence for me.

yeah...that's what I am thinking about the fronts. Looks like they don't rotate their tires at the warehouse though. LOL

When I first opened these...I looked at the front tire first and thought it was a blemished tire because it had this CHUNK of rubber missing on the edge of the tread...then I realized it matched the logo on the side of the tire...that's a nasty (and strange place to put it) logo on this tire...but as long as they give me a good ride...I'm good!!

Wally

Another shot of the date code. Didn't see the other picture posted till I went out in garage got a decent picture after 6 tries then came back in. Heck with it, after that I'm posting it. Not easy getting a decent shot of black on black .

This is from an Avon Venom I got a few weeks ago from Jake Wilson.

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/tiredatecode.jpg

[quote=FuzzyRSTD;598696)Great in the rain ......

Fuzzy

What made me trust these Avons on wet pavement was during the ERC I took a couple years ago. It was hot all morning then drizzle turned to rain in the afternoon. All day on an asphalt parking lot.

The last run of the day was a timed run though a circuit of turns and sweepers. Had to hit 25 mph in the last left hand sweeper and then stop in a 4 x 8 box. .

Half way through the sweeper the rear broke loose and headed towards the out side line. I backed off the thottle a bit and the tire hooked right back up and I ended up dead center in the end box.

Three other bikes went down in same spot. About half the riders there were over looking at my shoes. I think Avon may have sold a few tires that day. Hanes sold some underwear I know that. LOL!

I like them in the rain.

Mike