IGNORED

Fuel Pump??

I have a 2006 RSV with 35,000 miles. I have had an on again off again problem with trying to start the bike. I will go out to start my bike, I pull the choke, turn the key on and I will NOT hear the fuel pump. The bike will fire and start but never make it to a fast idol. The funny part about this is 2 hours later I come back flip the key and I will hear the fuel pump engage right away. The first time I noticed was after a good wash. After a day of sitting I got the bike running, turned the hose on, and sprayed down the engine with water like it was on fire. NOTHING.....did not choke, spit, sputter or die....kept running like there was never a problem. This morning I went out to start the bike to ride to work. The bike sat in the garage for two days (rained all weekend) and had not run since Friday. The bike was a dry as dry gets. I pull the choke, turn the key on, and NO noise from the fuel pump. The bike cranks, fires, and starts but stays at a low RPM. Slowly the bike chugs out and dies. I placed my hand on all for exhaust pipes and all four were hot. I have thought for a while I either have fuel pump or fuel pump relay issues. Any thoughts??

Yes, you have a fuel pump issue (slight possibility it is the relay, but makes no difference, the pump is not running; therefore, you have a fuel pump issue). In this situation, you can often get the pump running again (for a while) simply by taking off the left battery cover and rapping it a couple of times with a screwdriver handle.

Take it in under warranty and make sure they do a proper writeup that includes mention of intermittent no fuel pump noise after the bike sits for several days. Then, even if they cannot find it and won't replace the pump now under warranty, they will be forced to do so at any future time that you have a total failure, even after the warranty is over.

And if they do not fix it right now, stop by an auto parts store and buy a 3' length of fuel line and carry it in the bike. Then if the pump ever stops where you don't have any other transportation, you can simply run it from the tank to the carb input and run on gravity feed so you won't be stranded.

Goose

Goose,

Ran home at lunch and pulled the battery cover off the left side. Turned the key on and did not hear the fuel pump engage. Took my screwdriver and tapped the fuel pump and away it went! Bike started right up. Just for the fun of it I turned the fuel cock to off and let the bike run until it died. Then I turned the key off and back on......NOTHING!! Tapped the fuel pump and away it went. I am having it dropped of at dealer this afternoon. Thanks again for your help!

Fuel pump went out on my 2006 RSV with 58000miles two weeks after the warranty ran out. $230 and two weeks delivery later she runs like the wind. Getting new Avon's mounted presently and leave for alaska on July 1st.

Goose,

Ran home at lunch and pulled the battery cover off the left side. Turned the key on and did not hear the fuel pump engage. Took my screwdriver and tapped the fuel pump and away it went! Bike started right up. Just for the fun of it I turned the fuel cock to off and let the bike run until it died. Then I turned the key off and back on......NOTHING!! Tapped the fuel pump and away it went. I am having it dropped of at dealer this afternoon. Thanks again for your help!

That's great - your test should be definitive even for a poor dealer (and we all hope our dealers are better than that!), so they should get you fixed right up.

Goose

Fuel pump went out on my 2006 RSV with 58000miles two weeks after the warranty ran out. $230 and two weeks delivery later she runs like the wind. Getting new Avon's mounted presently and leave for alaska on July 1st.

Wow, it's too bad you didn't see the information on this site about how to buy a $45 replacement pump instead of blowing all that with Yamahaha. :95: Did you at least ask them to cover it? Usually a decent dealer will go to bat for you when it is so close after the warranty end. But at least you got it fixed and can ride again.

Goose

I think I would have just bypassed the fuel pump and ridden it until I could find an aftermarket pump.

My dealer, Pony Powersprt, has taken very good of me and my bike! Took my bike in on Tuesday, they ordered a new pump under warranty, and I will have my bike back this Friday/Saturday at the latest. They are also replacing the fuel filter per my request! Thanks again for all the helpful comments!

I haven't looked at it up close yet, but I am wondering, for those of us that are out of warranty, about something.

Since you have to tap on the pump, to get it to start, I wonder if we could just pull the brushes, and clean them, and the commutator with scotch-brite? I know this works with just about every other motor I know of. Like I said, I haven't looked at it, so I don't know how accessible the brushes are.

That would probably work.

We had an issue with Hal's 09 Saturday. I tapped on the pump and it started running. Then it quit again. I pulled the wiring connecter apart, cleaned it with contact cleaner and lubed it with di-electtric grease and it worked again.

I bet cleaning the brushes and commutator would work great.

These pumps, at least on the 06 RSV, are solenoid pumps so there are no brushes. There are a pair of plunger activated contacts on the end of the pump that are accessible by removing one screw. Cleaning these contacts may help, but don't count on it. Cleaning mine made no improvement in the intermittent failure.

IMHO; the best course of action is to replace the pump with the Mr Gasket model 42-S or equivalent pump.

Edited by OB-1

[ATTACH]57881[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]57882[/ATTACH]

Yeah that's right Ponch and I fixed the problem by taking the wires apart and greasing them but not quite sure if it is going to last. So I went to Napa Auto Parts today and bought a after market fuel pump name of it is called Posi-Flo and the part# 610-1050 and it was $48.49. Just in case I need it I got it. The dealership won't replace the old one until it fails. I only had to buy the 90 degree fitting and two clamps.

Here is some pictures of the one I just bought. One picture is buy a phone so you can see how long it is. Its about 2 1/2 inches tall and it has two mounting holes built into the case. I think it would work well. :fingers-crossed-emo

Hal

Seems like the 06's have a much higher fail rate than any other year. Could be a vendor problem with that year? Wondering if my 03 could have trouble down the road, or earlier years are more or less problem free in this area?

[quote=Halmost There;

Here is some pictures of the one I just bought. One picture is buy a phone so you can see how long it is. Its about 2 1/2 inches tall and it has two mounting holes built into the case.

Hal

The NAPA pump looks even smaller than the Mr. Gasket.

Mine pooched the other year and dealer did replace it.. after another shop couldn't figure out the problem and instead replaced about $3000 worth of ignition, filter and what not parts.. 5 down time days while on the road but considering the new parts, well worth it.. The shop in State College, PA were spot on with the troubleshooting and actually pulled the pump from an 2009 floor bike to get me back on the road right away.. VERY impressive service at that shop.. So.. if you're in that area and need repairs, they got one heck of an impressive mechanic who knows RSV.. very conscientious guys when it comes to bikes.

My buddy's 2008's fuel pump pooched as well and the local shop wouldn't replace it until it died.. "how do you know it's the fuel pump" they asked.. "when I hit it with a hammer it works.. when I stop hitting it with a hammer it doesn't work".. I think he ended up getting the bike towed down there to have it replaced.. They wouldn't give him the part to replace it himself, thereby costing him the trailering fees.. Fun how that all works out huh?

As many on this site have said many times, if your fuel pump goes out you can simply bypass it until you can get the bike to a dealer or home where you can replace it yourself. All you need it an extra piece of hose to run from the petcock to the carb inlet under the rear of the tank. This little piece of hose will save you a lot of grief and expense if you are miles from home or a dealer. You have the necessary tools in your toolbag and the knowhow is on this forum.

Truth be Told, you do not even NEED the extra piece of hose - that just makes it a little more simple. If you don't have it, just pull the stock fuel line off the top of the fuel filter and connect it straight to the carbs.

Goose

[ATTACH]57881[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]57882[/ATTACH]

Yeah that's right Ponch and I fixed the problem by taking the wires apart and greasing them but not quite sure if it is going to last. So I went to Napa Auto Parts today and bought a after market fuel pump name of it is called Posi-Flo and the part# 610-1050 and it was $48.49. Just in case I need it I got it. The dealership won't replace the old one until it fails. I only had to buy the 90 degree fitting and two clamps.

Here is some pictures of the one I just bought. One picture is buy a phone so you can see how long it is. Its about 2 1/2 inches tall and it has two mounting holes built into the case. I think it would work well. :fingers-crossed-emo

Hal

I just updated the alternative parts list in the Tech library with this info. I think all of the various replacement pumps are made by Facet - the old standby was their original cube pump, part 42S. The Posi-Flo is their updated replacement, part 04S. When buying a pump, remember that our stock pump only has a 3 lb pressure rating, so stick with low pressure pumps that max out around 4 lbs.

Goose

I know that in an emergency that you can run without a pump. How does the bike run like that? Does it starve for fuel at highway speeds?

When my pump died, the engine simply 'quit'.. no sputtering, no surging.. just quit and wouldn't start again.. until after a few minutes to half an hour.. then it would run for a few days no probs and then quit.. My problem might have been a little unique at the time.. but when my buddy's pump died, he ended up with something different.. it would run but not start unless you tapped the pump..

As they mentioned, I think you have to bypass the pump as it's a mechanical blockage now if it's not turning.. kinda thing..

I know that in an emergency that you can run without a pump. How does the bike run like that? Does it starve for fuel at highway speeds?

It runs perfectly on gravity feed; no starving at any speed. I do suggest keeping the tank over 1/4 full just to keep up a little head pressure. I think the main reason we have a fuel pump is simply because the carb input is VERY close to the bottom of the tank, so you would have a problem trying to use all the gas.

To set this up, you always want to either use a new piece of fuel line from the tank to the carbs, or remove the existing line from the TOP of the fuel filter (so you do not have a filter in-line). It would still work fine with a clean filter, but many people who have a bad fuel pump probably have a clogged filter too, so that would not be good for gravity feed!

Goose