IGNORED

New Used Bike and a Few Hopefully Curable Issues

I recently purchased a 1st Gen 1988 Venture with 39,000 miles. I have a few questions if someone has the time to answer (and I hope I'm putting this post in the right place).

1) Air ride system is not functioning. The old owner purchased the bike as is, and somewhere along the way, someone put inflation points so you can hook up to an air compressor or pump to inflate the front and rear. When I flip the key to ACC, the electronics seem to work fine and give me an E4 (obviously), so I'm guessing it may be the compressor? Both front and rear hold air for several days before leaking out.

Question: Can someone give me the short version of how the system works and possible fixes to it? Where is the compressor located? What is the path for the air lines and how they connect? Is the air going into the forks and shock in the rear?

2) Installed new replacement battery, that was the exact battery the previous owner had put on the bike from Walmart. It had the same model number and hole to put the sensor in. The sensor / warning system was working fine (no battery warning message on console) until I replaced the battery and reinstalled it. Seemed pretty straight forward lol, just put it in the hole.....

Question: Where did I go wrong and how do I fix it (the warning light will drive me nuts).

3) Between about 2000 rpm and 3500 rpm during accelleration my bike sounds like it's full of pissed off crickets, lol. I've read on here about replacing a clutch basket to quiet it down. I just want to make sure the bike is not wearing gears or something.

Question: If I decide I can live with the pissed off crickets, is anything going to break on the bike? Otherwise seems to run like a champ.

Whew! Sorry so many questions!

Thanks in advance!

Shane

1) E4 error is the controller sees no pressure sensor output voltage. I believe (others will chime in) that failed solder connections on the circuit board often cause this code. Compressor is under the trunk.

2) The battery warning light is an electrolyte low level indicator - not condition of the battery. The cell it's sticking into might be low......

3) Straight cut primary gears are noisy. Cricket noise at those RPMs are entirely normal. Every motorcycle with straight cut primary gears makes it to some extent. Ride like you stole it.

Here is link to try & fix the class controller.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=493

To fix/disable the battery warning light get a 1000 ohm (or close) resistor. Disconnect the probe that goes into the battery, solder resistor to lead that probe was connected to. Hook other end of resistor to 12v+. DO NOT HOOK TO 12V+ WITHOUT RESISTOR. Yes it's in caps & I was shouting. If you do, you will very possibly (absolutely, positively) smoke the CMU (dash computer).

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=489

As far as crickets, like Carl said, these bikes are happy above 4K. They don't even start breathing good till then. I know redline is 7,500, It ain't gonna break if you get close to that. My 1200 would hit about 8,300 before valves started floating. I have a similar motor now (1300), better heads on it and I have hit 9,500 on it many times.

Gary

or spend megaqbucks replacing it either with stock or aftermarket...

I scored a stock collector from ebay last fall for under 90 bux including shipping, and it was in dang fine shape. :D However, they do tend to run well over 100 frequently.

Would anybody be interested in my old one, which is in rather sad shape? Three of the 6 main ports are toast, more or less. Also, the mounting flange/bracket literally broke. You might be able to get some use out of it though if you're good with a welder? See photos.

Hey Shane,

Welcome to the VR.ORG site! The 88' MKII VR is a fine motorcycle, you should get many excellent miles out of her. Here is the fix for the blinking battery icon:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3439&title=first-gen1983-1993-battery-icon-bypass-lead&cat=22

As far as the E4 error goes on the air ride controller, try opening the door that exposes the radiator fill bottle on the right side of the dash. You will see the two plugs going to the rear of the air ride controller. With the key in the ACC position, try straightening out the wires to the plugs, and wiggling the plugs while looking at the screen of the controller. Remove the plugs and clean with aerosol electronic connector cleaner, (wally mart) then add some dielectric grease to both plugs. If this does not do the trick, then you will be removing the controller for a bit of soldering. As far as the "cricket" thing goes, DON"T linger in the 2500 to 3500 RPM range! This is not a big twin that you need to "chug around" on. Post up in the saddle, straighten your back, and ride this wonderful machine as if you are on "the Prowl", keep the revs up, and if you "accidentally" snack on an HD rider from time to time, then all the better! The harder you ride this bike, the less problems you will have with it. (less problems, NOT less maintenance!) Think of the "crickets" as an audible down shift indicator.:crackup:

I hope to see you on the road,

Earl

Your cricket noise could possibly be a rattle from a loose baffle in youir exhaust crossover. They can be cut into and repaired, or spend megaqbucks replacing it either with stock or aftermarket...

Mine started rattling a couple of weeks ago, I thought I would try the easy fix first and it worked!!! And now that I think about it, it did kinda sound like metallic crickets!!

I laid the bike gently over on the left side, (just in case the right crash bar flexed into the water pump pipe breaking it) and then took a large wooden mallet and gave it a few good whacks on the bottom of the exhaust collector. What a difference! It fixed up the rattle instantly.

I dont know if its a long term fix, but at least its not annoying me for now, and the other fix can be something that can be done over winter, if I want.

Brian

Wow that was a bunch in a hurry! In regards to the battery issue, is it possible that I have too much electrolite in the cell? I though it was low too and added so much that it came out the top. Anyway, probably just do the resistor thing.

Last bike I had was a Honda VTX1300 and it didn't like the higher RPM ranges that's why I was getting so nervous about running higher. Seems like 3500 and up are great... I'll stay there.. lol

If you determine that the compressor unit under the trunk is bad I have one on ebay for $10. The compressor works when connected to 12 volts. My controller doesn't work. Here are the listing details:

Yamaha Venture CLASS Compressor Air Suspension

Item Id: 320713878541

Starting price: $10.00

End time: Jun-23-11 21:19:14 PDT