IGNORED

air pressure

warriorhoneybee

after talking to some members yesterday i got some answers but forgot one question so here it goes. check my pressure before riding and the front is 36 and the rear was 44.5,my question is if i drive 2.7 miles to the station(outside temp is 75)and recheck them and i want my front at 38 and rear at 48 do i just ad the differance (say front i need to ad two pounds)from the temp at the station example the front temp went up to 37..5 do i make it read 39.5 which will be ading the org two pounds or not. guess i could of wordrd it a bit easyier.

If your concern is in the wording of "Checking tire pressure cold" I wouldn't worry about the 2.7 miles to the station. Your tires won't be much more than warm in that distance.

Now ..... if you had a 1/2 ride on the Interstate ..... that would make a difference.

Go with the cold pressure and you should be fine.

My :2cents:

Mike

Different tire pressure gauge's will read different. Proved that to my opps manager one day when he checked the tire pres. on my truck with his gauge. Said it was low by 8 lbs and I got the guage from our garage and it read just fine. He had to back water after threating to write me up. LOL Anyway, use the same gauge all the time.

Different tire pressure gauge's will read different. Proved that to my opps manager one day when he checked the tire pres. on my truck with his gauge. Said it was low by 8 lbs and I got the guage from our garage and it read just fine. He had to back water after threating to write me up. LOL Anyway, use the same gauge all the time.

I took four gauges and two agreed so I went with those two. May not be that accurate but made me feel better.

If you buy one of these and keep it in your bags you won't need to give it another thought!

2007090510453293896_sml.jpg

It's a great compact air pump (and all hook ups and hose and gauge).

It comes in a small case and takes little room.

I have given several as presents or door prizes.

They list for $37 but I get them at O'Reilly's for closer to $30.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SLI0/40001.oap?mn=Slime&mc=SLI&pt=N0184&ppt=C0337

Mike G in SC

morning sleeperhawk,right now i still have that old metzler that is cuped bad do to what i think is low air pressure but i'm fixing to put the avon on the front like i just put on the rear.i try to run 47 or 48 in the rear i will run 42 in front when i get the new tire. i was wondering on uping the met to that and see how it works. it was cupping on the outside of the tire but noticed yesterday that the center is now cupping and i can feel it a lower speeds but the tire still has decent tread. what do think i should do, replace the met now or try to get more milage out of it? i'll try to take a pic in a minute and post it.

"thanks for the link mike g.i plan on buying one of those plus a regular one for my shop just dont know which style to go with,oil or non oil. thanks for the info "

I've had a sears upright non-oil 150 psi for about two years now. Its about 4' tall.

I use to have to lift my entire horizontal air compressor into the bed of my pickup...ouuch! my back...

Now I just wheel over to the tailgate and place the handle towards it and just lift from the bottom and push...Walla! she slides right in!

I'll never go back!

Edited by CaptainJoe

thats what happen to me with those metzelers,so now i have a avon on the rear at 48 psi and fixing to put a new avon on the front,the 130/90. hope is dose better,i will run 42psi in it.the front tire is cuped fairly bad now so i'm trying to figure out to try to get more out of it or go ahesd and replace it now.heres a couple of pics but you can't see it to good.

Just make sure you do not exceed the pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire to the best of your knowledge with the best gauge you can find. (and change it out periodically)

I have had 2 rear E3s so far and they both fleathered out on the sides and sing to me in the curves. That is one thing I do not like about the Dunlop E3.

I was gonna try a set a Avons but with the side wall cracking issue...I figure I had better wait till they get that issue resolved and flush all those old tires out of the inventory before I dive into that.

Got a new set of E3's in the shop I bought on sale and they ready to go on when I decide that feathering is to bad and the noise is to bad. The bike is for sale and that set of tires will go with the bike.

thats what happen to me with those metzelers,so now i have a avon on the rear at 48 psi and fixing to put a new avon on the front,the 130/90. hope is dose better,i will run 42psi in it.the front tire is cuped fairly bad now so i'm trying to figure out to try to get more out of it or go ahesd and replace it now.heres a couple of pics but you can't see it to good.

I talked to an avon rep a few years ago at the Chicago show and he told me to run full pressure all the time which is 50psi on my tires.

thanks for the info jimbob5. cmike thats why i didn't go with the elite 3 and chose the avon,hopefuly they wont crack.good luck

but the avon site says differently... I have since run 50 always I like it and can tell when a tire is low especially the front feels mushy int turns. Im not recomending this to you of course.

The differences in gauges is one reason that I only use what works for others as a starting point for tire pressure.

Play with the pressure till you like the ride, and handling, then always use the same gauge to check pressure. Make a note of what YOUR preferred pressure is with YOUR gauge, both hot and cold.

I think that it is the differences in gauges that accounts for the differences in pressures that some people run.