IGNORED

Warm Gloves Needed.

RoadKill

Well it was a sunny day yesterday with freezing rain in the forecast for today. So at 34 degrees I suited up and took a 150 mile ride with a quick stop at my Mom's to clean some gutters. Felt really good to be out and about. The only thing that was cold was my hands. I just can see to find gloves that will keep my hands warm. I currently use leather, insulated, with a long cuff. Yesterday I even put those handwarmers down in my gloves which helped a little.

Anyone have a suggestion for keeping my hands warmer? I suppose it doesn't help that they have been frostbit before.

Thanks for any suggestions.

J

hi Jay

what about battery operated gloves, check into a snowmobile shop they should have them. one D size cell goes in the cuff of each glove. or try your local fishing store, they have little single use hot packs, give it a squeeze stick it in your glove and they stay warm for a few hours. i have electric socks , one D cell and they dont get hot, but they do keep your toes warm.

cheers, Scott

:1hotsht:

Don't tell me. When your hands get cold all the blood drains out of the tips of your fingers and they turn white and numb, right?

Have you thought about looking into heated gloves?

You got it! I have thought about the battery gloves. I am going to do some searching and see what I can find. Have you used them?

I have a one piece rain suit that I put on over my clothes then my leather jacket. That rain suite worked really well. Had a feeling it might since I sweat like I'm in a sauna when I weather most of the time:rotf:. That is why I got a set of frogtogs.

I wear gloves with Outlast in them. Outlast was developed for NASA, it is a temperature regulating material invented to keep astronauts at an even body temp. When you generate exess heat it stores it and when you cool down it releases it back to you. Miracle stuff! And it works. I have long johns made from it that are comfy at 0 degrees or at 65 degrees!

There is a pair of gloves on ebay now for cheap, I paid $100 for mine! Click Here

I'd grab them if I didn't already have some.

Well it was a sunny day yesterday with freezing rain in the forecast for today. So at 34 degrees I suited up and took a 150 mile ride with a quick stop at my Mom's to clean some gutters. Felt really good to be out and about. The only thing that was cold was my hands. I just can see to find gloves that will keep my hands warm. I currently use leather, insulated, with a long cuff. Yesterday I even put those handwarmers down in my gloves which helped a little.

Anyone have a suggestion for keeping my hands warmer? I suppose it doesn't help that they have been frostbit before.

Thanks for any suggestions.

J

I suggest searching for Widder, Gerbing, and Warm 'n Safe gloves. All connect to your bikes electrical system via a thermostat or on/off switch. I use the Widder gloves; some find them too bulky, however. I also have 3-digit rain covers from Aerostich for the gloves.:080402gudl_prv:

When I lived way up north, I got the military surplus leather gloves with wool glove inserts & hands never got cold.

Then I found a pair of red/yellow leather ski gloves with some kind of special lining at a sporting goods store sale & they were the warmest + super light & flexible.

This was many years ago, when it was common for me to ride my 750 Norton 20 miles to work in 4 inches of snow.

Funny how it didn't seem all that strange, back then.

I use an electric vest. As long as your core is warm your extremities stay warmer than what they would otherwise. I also have the gloves for when it gets real bad but a friend has only the gloves and he complains about his hands still being cold. I have Widder and have been happy with them.About 35 is as cold as I ride in the dark because of worrying about frost on the highway.

Here in central Utah we can get seriously cold, and I have quite a collection of gloves. It seems like most of us try to cut some corners (financially) when outfitting some of our riding gear initially. After all, stuff is expensive and we typically don't spend all that much time riding in really cold weather to justify really expensive gloves. However, many of us have had some memorable trips when we were ill-equipped and were painfully miserable. During those trips we would be willing to pay almost anything to relieve the pain and let us enjoy the rest of the ride.

Well, last winter I took a ride that was only about twenty miles away, but it was also only about twenty degrees. Couple that with wind-chill and . . . well, I'll just let you see how cold that was: http://www.weather.gov/os/windchill/index.shtml

Anyway, I survived but I also resolved that I was absolutely going to invest in heated gloves before this winter. I carefully researched my options and was always put-off by how much the quality heated clothing cost. After remembering how cold I was, and after reading a lot of personal testimonies I finally decided on Gerbings - http://www.gerbing.com/heat/glovesg3.html

Well, it's now December 1st, and I have had a number of occasions to put them to the test. And, all I can say after spending $169 on the gloves and another $69.00 on a duel heat-controller, is that it was worth every frozen penny. In fact, I was so pleased (and toasty-warm) with the the gloves, that I spent another $200 on the Gerbing Jacket Liner. Oh my goodness! And I thought the gloves were nice. The jacket liner is heaven! And, one of the great features is that now I don't have to feel or look like the Michelin Man on cold rides.

Yea, it's quite a chunk of change to drop on clothing. I mean, it's not even chrome. But, if you think that you might be in some cold riding situations, you'll never regret having quality gear. Now, I could run through a whole list of all the ways I rationalized spending that much money on gloves, but the bottom-line was that I could not deal with riding with frozen hands anymore. It just takes all the pleasure of the ride away, when all you can think about is how cold you are. Besides, how safe can you be with decreased reaction time, and when you can't feel your controls?

So there you have it. Ask others who have purchased quality electric gear and I expect that you'll hear pretty similar opinions.

Be Safe (& Warm) Pete.

hi Jay

what about battery operated gloves, check into a snowmobile shop they should have them. one D size cell goes in the cuff of each glove. or try your local fishing store, they have little single use hot packs, give it a squeeze stick it in your glove and they stay warm for a few hours. i have electric socks , one D cell and they dont get hot, but they do keep your toes warm.

cheers, Scott

:1hotsht:

I tried some gloves that use the "D" cell batteries.... my hands got colder then when not using them, sent them back the next day. The set I had cost around $40.00 US so may not have been the qaulity that are talking about. Like many here, I have a drawer full of gloves, and can not find any that will keep my hands warm... I may have to spend the big bucks to get some that work... but we only have around 2 months of cold weather a year, so its hard to spend that much money...

I forgot about the hand warmers and body warmers that hunters use. They work pretty good. I was using them before I got the electric gear. They are what convinced me that keeping your core warm warms the rest of you too. I would put one in my t shirt pocket and three hours later it would still be warm.

Bought Widder this year and have been great. Used the hunters hand warmers up till now. I put one in each boot, one in each glove and one in each of my inner fleece pockets. I also kept a few extra in my trunk, they only last 3 hours.

Guest cyote61

Electric Gerbings. Takes about 30 minutes total to do the wiring and you're not gonig to have cold hands again. :) I have a pair of delux, best Tourmaster's made for winter ridding. They are good, but not near as good as Gerbing even when they are not plugged in. That's right, I said when they were NOT plugged in they are warmer than the Tourmasters. Yup, costaplenty tho. But I'm willing to pay for comfort. :080402gudl_prv:

Guest MotorCycleRadio

Well, I took the other option and got "Heated HandGrips" from www.hotgrips.com Will post an evaluation after a week or two of cold WX riding. It's 24F in Louisville KY this morning. You will need to know the handlebar diameter to order. Wonder if anyone has tried these already? Will my electrics stand the additional drain? Oh, the reason I went this route was because it's awfully hard to use all the controls with THICK gloves on.

I have the heated gloves from Warm&Safe. Work great.

Before I got those, I used a set of gloves from Walmart with chemical hand warmers (like hunters use). The set consisted of mechanics gloves for liners and hunting mittens over the top. The hunting mittens have the flip top over the fingers so you get to your trigger.

Place a chemical hand warmer in the flip top and fold it over your fingers. If it is really cold, put one behind and one in front of your fingers. This works great, but you will need to pull your thumb in periodically since it doesn't get any of the heat. Rode all the way from Tennessee to Wisconsin in 20 to 30 degrees last year with this setup.

That trip is what prompted me to get the electric jacket liner and gloves - all from Warm&Safe.

RR

Roadkill, I'll be the first to say go and invest in the Gerbing gloves. I own a pair and never have regreted it .I've had them for over 3 yrs. I owned them and used them while I had my 1st gen. They keep your hands toasty. They make gloves and an insert that works with any glove. Donaldsons and Neihaus carries them.

I also bought a jacket liner and I put in my jacket and wear a t shirt under that liner and I'm very warm. Last week it was 24 with wind chiil of 12 I was very comfy.

Guest MotorCycleRadio

Well, the "Hot Grips" did not fit, even though they are SUPPOSED to be the ones for my '08 Venture. They were 3" too long and the Dealer did not want to cut them since it might cause problems as they ARE electric grips. Plus the chrome "bullets" at the ends of the handle bars would not go on either. SO, today I'm going to Bass Pro and look for battery heated gloves. Wish me luck!

Guest MotorCycleRadio

Purchased "Arcticshield" Gloves at "Bass Pro" today. They have a liner made from "Re-Tain". Which is supposed to retain body heat and keep cold air from penetrating. I will let you know soon as to their effectiveness. Trying to stay away from electric/battery gloves.

• 3 weeks later...

I run heated grips on all my bikes and its the only way to go..

What is being missed here is you all are using the wrong type of

heated grip.. The ones I have used for years of Ice racing and

snow riding are the heated tape type, the element is inside of

a adhesive back tape that wraps around the bar and your original grip

goes over it.. On the aluminum bar you have to make a couple wraps with

elecrical tape to keep the aluminum from heat sinking the heat, throttle side is no problem - just leave a small amount of wire free so it doesnt pull with you twist.. The kit comes with resistor for hi/lo and on/off switch and all wiring.. It draws about 30watts and is applicable to all occasions.. I have even used them on my KDX harescramble bikes and these have total 25watt output - they work great!!! I have woods riden many times with no gloves in the dead of winter with them!!!

Also, nice thing about these are they are ALWAYS on your scoot and your hands will NEVER be cold again!!

If you want more info just pm me or ask on here, always willing to help!!!

'Puc