IGNORED

Please help: Vibration/Buzz

Wondering if this is 'normal'. At 75(speedo), 5th gear (or 65 speedo 4th gear), if you lay your hand on the tank (or squeeze with knees) I can feel a pretty good buzz. I can also feel it in the floorboards and the hand grips. The bike is an 06 rstd with 6,000 miles. New rear tire(E3). If I pull the clutch at speed the buzz completely dissappears, so I'm thinking it can't be tires...has to be engine. Also, If I am running a little slower in 5th...say about 65, gentle cruise, there is a light thumping/ticking in the passenger seat and backrest...it is not a fast as the buzz but faster than wheel spin. I know all about letting these engines rev, and have of course felt the heavy vibration/shaking when I try to do too much acceleration in 5th or 4th....the buzz isn't this....the pillion 'ticking' does seem to be at the same frequency as the lugging feeling you can get in too high a gear...but it is there even when holding at steady speed(just less pronounced).

Have net yet tried sea-foam, new plugs or carb sync (don't know if PO did it before me either). Engine runs so well I did not think any of these was indicated....could be wrong though. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I know some members can feel when their carbs are out of sync with vibrations in the handlebars. I would 1st do a carb sync and see how that works. Then I would go over the bike well and check for loose hardware to make sure nothing is loose or shaking

:2cents:

Carb sync. Even if the PO did one, or had the dealership do one, it would be the first thing I try. Believe me, I've had dealers say they did one, but the quality of syncing varies widely, with dealer efforts being at the bottom of the stack. With a sync'd engine, I can go a thousand miles in a day without "feeling the buzz".

Also, FWIW, I think 65 is too slow for 5th. You can do it, sure, but I get better fuel economy through 70mph in 4th. That tells me the engine is "happier" at higher RPMs. 65/5th is a kinda-lugging situation. I don't think it would cause you vibrations, but just as an FYI.

I think your first choice should be to attend a "maintenance day" held by a local VentureRiders group. Or even ride to the big one in OH... yeah, that's what I would do if I didn't have HS graduation that day. *sigh* The reason being, the manual gives wrong instructions on doing carb syncs, so if the dealer is following instructions, he is doing it wrong. (right instructions here) But if a dealer is all you got, by all means, give it a try.

Or, like you PM'd me, check to see who is near you and has done them in the past. Send them a PM. It is a 15 minute process, so it isn't a big deal.

Good luck!

Dave

Thanks guys...will start with a good carb sync. Dealer quoted me $150...don't know if thats the 'correct' procedure or not. Any idea on how to find a member in MN or Iowa who has done this or how to find a more local maintenance day...can't make it to Ohio!!

Still learning how to navigate this site...really appreciate all the help!

Thanks guys...will start with a good carb sync. Dealer quoted me $150...don't know if thats the 'correct' procedure or not. Any idea on how to find a member in MN or Iowa who has done this or how to find a more local maintenance day...can't make it to Ohio!!

$150 for a 15 minute procedure. You need to find a new dealer. I'm very serious. This dealer either doesn't know what he is doing or is taking advantage of you.

If I were to need to find a member in my area, I would search the group for likely keywords like "Minnesota" or "Iowa" to see who has mentioned a meeting there. I think learning how to search this site will pay HUGE dividends for you. Perhaps enough to convince you to spring for the $12 annual dues. If I were your dealer, I'd have already charged you $250 for the help you've received. :innocent:

There is also an assistance list, but I am unsure of the rules about whether or not trial members are given access. You can do a search in that document to find someone nearby.

Dave

That price is nuts. A carb sync price posted on the dealer's wall here in NL - $39.95.

Certainly sounds like uneven cylinder power to me - a carb sync is a mandatory first step.

But you have a 5+ year old machine with only 6,000 miles on it - it has done a HUGE amount of sitting and rotting. I'd bet your carbs are a mess inside. If the sync process does not show at least 10.5" Hg, then bet your primary circuits are in bad shape. In that case, your best bet is to pull the carbs and clean them properly.

Goose

I think my dealer charged me $25 to sync last time. Only thing I had done on that trip so no place to hid any upcharges. Something is definitely wrong with the price from your dealer. It sounds like he doesn't know this bike. Some bikes you have to pull the tank to sync which runs up the cost, but not on this one. Question him if you want to make sure exactly what he's quoting, but don't let him do it for that price.

Thank you very much for the procedure. I will try it myself now. One thing should this be done on a regular basis (say monthly) or just when it seems to need it?

Anytime work on the carbs has been done, a sync should be done. I usually do 2 or 3 a year on my scoots, it's easy an fairly quick procedure.Atleasy once a year is agood rule of thumb if you dont experience any issues.

Carbs were pulled and cleaned by dealership about a month ago...not synched at that time though. Here's what I have learned; 2 dealerships....$150 dealership removes tank and uses an electronic synch tool to do the job (said they stopped using mercury sticks years ago)...2nd dealership charges $35-40 to sync carbs and they use mercury sticks and do not remove tank. Dealer #2 sounds more in line with what others have experienced but I goota tell ya, dealer #2 service manager has said some things about the Venture/RSTD that are just plain not true (rstd not being quick detach, not knowing they had cruise control...WOW). Have lost some confidence in dealer 2 because of this. Probably will try to $40 sync.

Thanks for all the info!

:fingers-crossed-emo

Carbs were pulled and cleaned by dealership about a month ago...not synched at that time though. Here's what I have learned; 2 dealerships....$150 dealership removes tank and uses an electronic synch tool to do the job (said they stopped using mercury sticks years ago)...2nd dealership charges $35-40 to sync carbs and they use mercury sticks and do not remove tank. Dealer #2 sounds more in line with what others have experienced but I goota tell ya, dealer #2 service manager has said some things about the Venture/RSTD that are just plain not true (rstd not being quick detach, not knowing they had cruise control...WOW). Have lost some confidence in dealer 2 because of this. Probably will try to $40 sync.

Thanks for all the info!

:fingers-crossed-emo

Why in the world would they remove the tank? Even the service manual procedure doesn't require that. (Attached for reference)

The RSTD is a very small-batch bike. As long as the dealer knows how to deal with the Venture, I would think they could deal with the RSTD. IMO.

Dave

First, I'll just say right up front that I do not trust ANY dealer to clean carbs these days. I think a lot of the kids are too ignorant about carbs, and when you consider the amount of time it takes to pull the carbs from this bike, a lot of shops will just flat lie about doing it.

Trust, but verify, is always good advice! So even if you do not want to do this work yourself (a good 4-gauge tool will cost you about $50), it would be smart for you to pick up a cheap vacuum gauge and test the vacuum on any cylinder (they should all be the same if it is in sync). You can probably get a cheap one at Harbor Freight for about $10, or maybe even borrow one for free from an auto parts store. You cannot sync the carbs with just one gauge, but you CAN get a quick idea if the carbs are clean and functioning with just one.

The process is unbelievably simple - you just pull the rubber cap off one of the vacuum nipples below any carb and connect the vacuum gauge, then start the bike and let it idle. The gauge will jump like crazy without any restriction to dampen the vacuum pulses, but for this test, all you need to do is squeeze the hose almost shut until the gauge needle just wiggles a bit. The reading at idle should be 280mm or 11" - anything below 10" indicates a problem.

Goose

So I took it to dealer #1. Service Manager was confused (but not anymore after suggesting that there is no need to remove tank on tour deluxe...thanks guys). He checked with the tech and the tech said "nope...just a 20 minute job". So I watched the tech do his thing...he was very knowledgeable...and the electronic sync tool showed the carbs significantly out of sync. Turning of screw driver and 15 minutes later all cylinders reading identical. Had the tech do a few other minor things while he was at it and $50 later...out the door. Motor is definately a bit smoother at idle, but buzzing still present in handlebars, floorboards and tank. Not enough to render the mirrors useless(as can happen with big v-twins), but enough to be noticable. I swapped to the "I" clutch basket a week ago and after pondering things, realized it may have been around that time that I began to notice more vibes. Might switch back to my original basket(dealer let me have it) and see if that makes a difference...It was never really a clutch whine screamer anyway...just a chirper.

Drahthaar, where did you get price quotes from? I had my 2000 RSV in New Ulm last fall to have a new tire installed and check the carb sync. Gene at G&K forgot to check sync so he did while I was standing there watching. Carbs all read the same, it only took maybe 10-15 minutes and he didn't charge me anything.

I have the exact same problem with vibration of floorboard, tank, handlebars (for about 1 year). Have sync'd carbs so many times I can't even remember. Taken carbs out 4 times (stripped and cleaned), put in another set of coils with ngk caps, a new pickup coil, fuel filter, air filter, I would pick up a used set of carbs if I new that was the problem, But I don't and cannot continue to drive the bike like this, (after 1 hour I hate it) and will have to sell it which is a shame because I really like it. P.S.-I also took it to my local dealer who said "that's normal for those bikes"