IGNORED

Long Distance Rides and Rallies

twigg

DO any of you take part in LD Rides and Rallies?

If so, which. What are your favourites? Which ones have you planned this year?

Do we have any Iron Butt Rally 2011 entrants here?

For my own part, I have one SaddleSore 1000 under my butt, done this year on the Triple. Probably one more this summer.

Edited by twigg

I was thinking that the next LD ride should be a BunBurner 1500 ... That is 1500 miles in 36 hours, but I'm re-thinking it.

Mainly because the schedule is fairly easy as it allows two 750 mile days, pretty much.

A better bet might be a back to back SaddleSore, which although the same time schedule (it's 2000 miles in 48 hours), it would get me further and I'd see a bit more.

Gotta re-assemble and shakedown the VR first. I enjoyed the 1000 miles on the Triple, but it's only going out on sunny days now.

In the past I've planned my Saddlesore's around our yearly motorcycle vacation week, where I will ride to our destination solo, and my tailgunner will fly there, meet me, then vacation, and ride back at our leasure. Last year's trip was from here (Kansas City) to Niagara Falls, where she met me. We then rode south to Tennessee and back home over a 10 day period. She has done a few 700+ mile days, but never a 1000+. Next year I will do a 1500 mile ride, up to somewhere along Lake Michigan, then south to the Carolinas to meet her there.

I get my fix, and we get to have a great vacation.

Ride safe

Brian

In the past I've planned my Saddlesore's around our yearly motorcycle vacation week, where I will ride to our destination solo, and my tailgunner will fly there, meet me, then vacation, and ride back at our leasure.

:sign yeah that:

Last year I flew my wife to Indianapolis and home from Green Bay, so she could enjoy the ride to MI's UP in the time available. Later, I flew her to Albuquerque... same thing. It really aids our fun together when I can knock out five days worth of "her" riding in a day or two.

This year I am planning a SS1000, finishing with a BB1500 the next day. (1200 on Thursday, 300 or so on Friday before noon--pick up two awards at once) Then I pick up my wife in Vermont or New Hampshire and we ride home. This time, I am also planning to pick up a couple coastal states I need to grab, so that we can take a more scenic ride home.

I also plan to ride with PKTexas on a "Ride Around Texas" re-do. His bike was disabled last year before he could finish. So we'll do it together.

Dave

I was supposed to be leaving in two months for a group ride to Alaska. Unfortunately an elderly family member has taken ill and I won't be going this year. This is supposedly the longest organized motorcycle fundraiser in the country.

Alaska is on my bucket list and I hope to do it next summer with the same group. His website is an interesting read and to believe that he road from FL to Alaska several times on a Silver Wing is incredible.

Take a look if you'd like: Alaska Bike Run

We usually do a long ride (4000+ miles) each year. My wife generally flies out to area we plan to tour and I drop her at an airport after about 7 easy days of riding. This year our trip will be 6200 miles over 2 1/2 weeks. She's flying into Portland OR and returning out of Las Vegas.

Dennis

There is a list of scheduled IBA sanctioned (and a MERA sanctioned - Utah 1088) at http://www.ironbutt.com/eventcal/

I have run the Minnesota 1000 the last two years and it is a blast. It is like a LD scavenger hunt. Last year was a 2 day/2010 mile rally. Great times, great times.

There are also some shorter rallies for those that don't want to start with a 24 hr / 1000 mile run. There is the LowCal 11 which is run in southern CA and lasts 11 hours. Team Strange (who run the MN1000) are running an 8 hour rally in June along with the MN1000 in July. http://www.teamstrange.com/ My son (and possibly my Dad on his BMW R1200GS) will be joining me, riding my KLR, for the 8 hour rally this year.

Want to get out to run the Utah 1088 and the Minuteman 1000. Still a few years away from being ready to run the full IB Rally (IBA sanctioned) or the 10 in 10 (MERA sanctioned). However, once the kids get out of the house, just TRY to find me at home.

RR

Twigg, come on out to the International Rally in Cody - about 1200 miles one way - short trip - maybe even count it as an Iron Butt. :dancefool::thumbsup:

I would love to but it might be tricky this year.

Plans for this year are slim so far. I am volunteering to help on an Iron Butt Rally prep. event next weekend. That's local. There will also be a weekend LD Rally in Oklahoma this Fall, and I am thinking of entering that as my first rally.

I have my VR in a thousand bits and am hoping that it will be in one bit next weekend. Then I plan on a few "shakedown" rides and fixing anything that crops up. I still have a righthand front fairing panel to repair, at least well enough to make it useable.

A friend and I are planning another Iron Butt ride for later in the summer. This will probably be a SS 2000, involving us riding 1000 miles west from Tulsa, and back.

Jodie and I want to spend a weekend riding the Talehmina Scenic Highway this Fall.

Meanwhile I potter around on the Triple ... It's a great ride :)

Twigg, this LD riding can get hold of some. Some of us here in Aus are part of a group called "FarRiders" (look us up on the interwebz if you like). "FarRiders" was founded by David (Davo) Jones. Many of you guys would know of, & some may have met Davo who competed in the 2009 Iron Butt Rally, & unfortunately, in the final stages of the rally, Davo was taken from us after a tragic accident. He was, & will remain to be, an inspiration to many of us here in Aus. A great character with a zest for life & he is missed immensely.

We do IBA certifiable rides & many of us have IBA numbers. It's a matter of (safely) pushing your own boundaries, for those with the desire.

Myself ? I have a couple rides awaiting confirmation/ certification from the IBA, (There's usually a wait). A SS1600k & a SS2000k.

One of our guys has just (in last few weeks) achieved a 100CCC (100hrs Coast to Coast to Coast) in your USA, with a couple hrs spare!

WOW! That's inspiring. Not for us all though! Not to mention the pinnacle -- Iron Butt Rally,

Oh & proud to say I ride an RSV !

Long Distance?.... Yeah

Tony

Just completed my LD challenge. Drove 1138 miles in about 20 hours. Don't know if I'll ever try that again! Strong cross winds most all the way across Texas. I was so tired by the end, I think I was driving with nothing more than muscle memory. Now, I just got to put it all to paper and get it submitted.

Just completed my LD challenge. Drove 1138 miles in about 20 hours. Don't know if I'll ever try that again! Strong cross winds most all the way across Texas. I was so tired by the end, I think I was driving with nothing more than muscle memory. Now, I just got to put it all to paper and get it submitted.

Many congratulations!!!

Texas panhandle nearly killed me ... I hadn't allowed for nearly 4000 feet of elavation, and I almost froze!

Get that paperwork in, my certificate arrived in under three weeks.