IGNORED

Barrnett SR2 Clutch Upgrade

After install and before replacing outer cover i tried pulling the clutch lever to see if all was working correctly is it normal at this stage to see nothing moving ie plates moving pressure plates moving. The clutch lever is hard as to squeeze in i reinstalled the original setup and still hard as way harder than before pulling down have i done somthing wrong here.I have not put completly back together yet as i dont want to destroy gasket untill sure.

Awaiting a reply Thanks Terry

Take the pressure plate off and then gently pull the lever. You should be able to feel movement of the push rod with your finger. If you have no movement the problem could be the rods binding up to the master cylinder binding. If you do feel movement then it's in you clutch pack assembly. Chances are you don't have the pressure plate installed properly. Be careful removing the clutch cover and you should be able to reuse the gasket....

At this stage all i had removed is the outer ring,spring and pressure plate and installed the Barnett clutch kit which does not require me to remove the clutch plates i will however remove the original setup and try again with the upgrade kit

Removed pressure plate and spring and by pulling the clutch lever the push rod only moves about 1 mm should i remove the push rod or take off cover on opposite side and investigate why there is no movement how much should the pushrod move when pulling lever

Put outer cover back on bled clutch but lever still will not come back to handlebar when pulled, start up bike ,as soon as put in gear bike stalls.NFI whats gone wrong here i assembled all to instructions HELP

Read your writeup Sleeperhawk but it does not solve the problem i believe the problem is in the Master cly as the clutch lever will not move at all ,when i tried bleeding it within the master cyl there is two holes if i pull the lever it appears to go into the hole closest to the lever then squirt out the other is this right?

So much for a quick job them off for a ride been at this all day

Read your writeup Sleeperhawk but it does not solve the problem i believe the problem is in the Master cly as the clutch lever will not move at all ,when i tried bleeding it within the master cyl there is two holes if i pull the lever it appears to go into the hole closest to the lever then squirt out the other is this right?

So much for a quick job them off for a ride been at this all day

I had the same exact issue, would not move at all. Did what all said too do, bleed the clutch. Been there done that. And because I missed one little statement in the instructions that came with the Barnett clutch

It states:

4) Note: When installing the Barnett pressure plate you may have to rotate pressure Plate to index into proper position.

In other words, you have to rotate the plate until the clutch lever works.

If that's all you did was replace the pressure plate with the Barnet you have the Barnet plate installed wrong. Take a look at this page. It explains how the plate needs to be rotated until it seats down on the discs. It only fits one way. The OEM plate is marked where to seat it. The Barnet is not. The majority of the lever return pressure is generated by the pressure plate.

If that's all you did was replace the pressure plate with the Barnet you have the Barnet plate installed wrong. Take a look at this page. It explains how the plate needs to be rotated until it seats down on the discs. It only fits one way. The OEM plate is marked where to seat it. The Barnet is not. The majority of the lever return pressure is generated by the pressure plate.

Condor, now where were you when I posted about my troubles with the Barnett :crying:

That was a very informative link. :)

Well morning has broken been at it for an hr all the clutch plates are alined tried rotating the Barnett pressure plate in every hole but it still wont go in far enough i still have the same gap, it appears the big gear inside the clutch plates needs to go in as in every position it fouls the PP face also the michined gears on the back of the PP do not appear to mesh with angthing.

Do you have a friction plate on the outside of the clutch assembly? There should be a clutch plate. Only reason I ask is that I put a clutch in a buddy's RSV and he gave me the discs and plates. I did not know that he had a new set of discs and we wound up with one too many friction plates (one being the original). Same symptoms as you speak of.

:farmer:

What plate should be on the outside that the Barnett PP bolts to at this stage i have a fiber plate but i havent removed these since start of job

Take some pics and post them so we can see what you have.

Did you put the OEM parts back on to see if the clutch works normal.

You do not have to put cover on and do not start the bike.

Lever and clutch should operate with OEM parts, if they do then the Barnett is not installed correctly.

Going at last we have success it turned out that the slave cyl had bottomed out and not allowing the PP to go in far enough released the bleeder on the other side and bleed it by pushing the pushrod in after that it allowed the PP to move into the correct position and all is now working fine

My thanks to all that contributed to this thread

Going at last we have success it turned out that the slave cyl had bottomed out and not allowing the PP to go in far enough released the bleeder on the other side and bleed it by pushing the pushrod in after that it allowed the PP to move into the correct position and all is now working fine

My thanks to all that contributed to this thread

Glad you have success :cool10:, so another quirk to installing the Barnett, sheeez :confused24:.