Well I think I am in need of some new clutch springs, at the least. I took my scoot out today with my wife and just let her run. About 4000 rpm I could feel the clutch starting to slip, not much just a little slip, and only in 3rd gear up.

Do you all agree that just a spring upgrade is all I need or do I need to think about an entire clutch altogether. Thank You. Shaun

I think SkyDoc sells the clutch stuff, will have to dig around.

Most time when the clutch is apart and you measure the plates they are OK, so a good set of springs could get you by. Myself, I would get new fiber plates as well, even if it's just for the fact that I now know that I won't have an issue with that again.

Its your call on the fiber plates, but... I am still running the original set in mine. Even with the extra HP from the modifications, it does not slip.

I am sorta partial to the MKII setup, but it requires an MKII pressure plate, new diaphram spring and an MKII clutch side cover. MKI cover will not fit over an MKII internal's.

If you put the MKII on and arent happy with a stock spring, you can increase it to a PCW, or double the stock springs.

Measure your fiber plates, if in the mid or high end of spec, use them.

Gary

Hey Shaun,

I offer the MKI VR Clutch Spring Kit for the MKI VR here:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2709&title=first-gen1983-1985-mki-heavy-duty-clutch-springs26amp-3b-full-disc-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

I have the extra friction discs at my cost if you would like to install a "New" clutch.

I also have everything you need to upgrade to the MKII single clutch diaphragm spring.

If you are interested, feel free to PM me.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Hey Shaun, Does the clutch slip right from the git-go, or does it start slipping after running a while and get progressively worse?? If it does you might not need a clutch rebuild, but a bleed. Also when you changed the oil the last time around, did you happen to use a brand and weight with friction modifiers. The reason I ask is is there are a few things that need to be considered before just blindily jumping into a clutch rebuild. Just trying to save you a few bucks.... :) When I first picked up my '83 the clutch slipped and I ended up dumping a lot of money into replacing and rebuilding everything, when all it was, was a plugged expansion hole in the reserve... Also on an '83 you can get by with a set of Barnet springs from Buckeye Performance for less than $20 bucks. I'd suggest trying that first before going for the juggler.....