IGNORED

Crossing into Canada question.

ken

In June I'll by crossing into Canada with a friend. I have crossed before on bikes but that was well before 9/11. Back then we just pulled up to the customs booth together. Can we still do that or do they want one bike at a time?

Hi Ken,

The wife and I crossed over a couple of years ago but we were by our selfs on a bike. I would suggest you go up to the gate one at a time.

I know we have some guys that travel together all the time and cross over. Maybe Ian or Randy will give some advice. It may not matter but those guys can be stinkers if they want to.

Make sure you have your passports.

Definitely one at a time, have your passport or enhanced license at the ready.

Tell 'em you're coming over to see me or Ian......seriously, one at a time and have your paperwork ready...then away you go.

Have your mortgage papers for your house ready, gas is not cheap......if you make it far enough into our great country...order a poutine....make sure your hospitalization is paid up...or apply for refugee status, then it's free, and our government will even throw in a pension if your old enough.:whistling:

We love "foreigners" over here....you get healthcare, a pension and poutine all rolled into one if you make it across the border and the sled dawgs don't bark at ya....:stirthepot:

gunk:shock3:

The guys and gals on our side of the border are real nice,,, going back may give you some trouble, but not the Canucks, ya, they may even put you up for the night if you try something funny, like riding into the booth 2 at a time, or not saying 'sir' or 'Mame', or better yet, wearing your sunglasses, or smoking while in the booth.

Not all that bad really, just be polite, answer only the question asked and don't offer any more info than asked for.

And listen carefully to the question, like there is a difference between: Do you have anything to declare, and, Is there something you want to declare.

Do you have anything to declare, and, Is there something you want to declare.

Whats the difference? Also do we need to take off our helmets at the booth? We plan on staying at the falls for a night and then up to Sudbury and cross back in at Salt St Marie. Do ya think they have any problems with this plan?

No, keep the helmets on unless asked to remove. Both US and Canada have helmet laws. If you have a full face or modular, flip up the screen or bottom so that they can see your face.

As far as the "Anything to declare" question, the difference being what do you have in your possession that you don't want them to know about like "gifts" for your Canadian friends or in the case of Canadians, purchases that they don't want to pay the exorbatant duty on. Strong piece of advice do NOT pack a weapon unless you like jails (from the inside) and no large quantity of tobacco or alcohol. Of course no drugs, that's a given.

Be friendly and relaxed, it's no big deal unless you look like Omar the tent maker fresh in from the Middle East. They are not out to get you, they are just doing their job. Some of them can actually be human and friendly (avoid excessive conversation) and others are rookies out to make a name for themselves. Be polite and courteous and only answer the questions asked...

Declared a tazzer upon entering Nova Scotia. Did not know it was illegal till we got there. They were courteous to us but confiscated the tazzer, searched all our belongings and did back ground checks on us. My girlfriend then got interviewed regarding her past rap sheet. After about an hour or so of this we were invited into the country.

Later we re-entered the US through Maine without issue. We then re-entered Canada at Edmundston, in the province of New Brunswick or as i affectionately call it "Check Point Charlie". Our tazzer incident had followed us there. My girlfriend was re-interviewed and the bike and trailer were re-inspected. Spent about another hour going through this and was left with repacking our belongings. We again were allowed to enter the country.

I saw it as a good story to relate to others later. My girlfriend does not have the same happy, fuzzy, gee that was a good story to relate later experience. It was obvious that one of the female guards had taken an instant dislike to her and therefore we got put through the paces.

This all happened in 2009. Keep my cool, went with the flow, and outside of a little time lost, really had no problems.

Do you have anything to declare: do you have anything with you that needs to be declared, so that if we search your bike you would need to pay the taxes or that we would need to confiscated it.

Is there something you want to declare: it's almost quitting time and I don't see anything that needs to be talked about, so tell just give me the right answer and have a good day.

Do you have anything to declare, and, Is there something you want to declare.

Whats the difference? Also do we need to take off our helmets at the booth? We plan on staying at the falls for a night and then up to Sudbury and cross back in at Salt St Marie. Do ya think they have any problems with this plan?

If you're planning on running from Sudbury to the Soo....you should look at running the 129 up to Chapleau, then across to Wawa on I think it's the 101??, then on down to the Soo on 17. This little side trip is just awesome! You follow the Mississagi River up to Chapleau, then from Wawa to the Soo you run down the north shore of Lake Superior, one of the most truly memorable rides you'll make, really! Gas is really expensive up that way right now.....$1.40 something a litre, there's 3.78 litres in a U.S. gallon......OUCH!

gunk:shock3:

As Bongo said absolutely NO Weapons you will go to jail, your allowed a bottle of booze each and I think a carton of cigarettes, you will almost always find our border personel very polite...thats from my own experiences....Hope you have a great trip.

Ian

As Bongo said absolutely NO Weapons you will go to jail

What about a folding hunter style pocket knife? I usually keep a leatherman in my tool bag/on my belt, and an belt clip knife with about a 3 1/2" blade clipped to the document pouch in each saddlebag and one in the trunk.......no I'm not totally paranoid. I'm just a knife collector, so I wind up with a lot of spares/cheaper knives so they wind up everywhere.

Plus I always have a small Case or Buck or Old Timer or Uncle Henry folder in my pocket. 1 1/2" to 2" blade.

"gifts" for your Canadian friends

or in the case of Canadians, purchases that they don't want to pay the exorbatant duty on. ....

Technically you are allowed a gift with a value of 40 dollars or less.

There is no duty on most US goods but you will pay the tax (PST and GST or HST) on anything over 40 bucks.

Brad

I doubt I'll be buying any gifts. Once all the camping gear is packed there will be no room left. I'm thinking I might give those vacume bags a try. Sure hope customs don't tear it apart.

I believe up to a 4 1/2 inch blade is legal, but I wouldn't be wearing it. A lot depends on your attitude and if the officer is having a bad hair day.We are not allowed into the U.S. if we have a DUI on our record. There used to be a reward ($ 10% of the value) if some one called the border and reported you. I know one guy who bought new tires in the U.S. and did not declare them. The garage had phoned the border and reported him. The officers jacked up his car and confiscated the tires with him still sitting in the car. :)

What about a folding hunter style pocket knife? I usually keep a leatherman in my tool bag/on my belt, and an belt clip knife with about a 3 1/2" blade clipped to the document pouch in each saddlebag and one in the trunk.......no I'm not totally paranoid. I'm just a knife collector, so I wind up with a lot of spares/cheaper knives so they wind up everywhere.

Plus I always have a small Case or Buck or Old Timer or Uncle Henry folder in my pocket. 1 1/2" to 2" blade.

Maybe I should have clarified a little, by no weapons I was meaning fire arms, I carry a folding pocket knife that has about a 3" blade and no problems. It seems like you have quite a collection of knives, I'm not sure how that would go down, maybe someone else could chirp in on that one.

Ian