IGNORED

Stuck near SLC

RedRider

I am sitting in a hotel lobby in Lake Point (just west of SLC) unable to continue riding because of the snow. I can probably make it to town if anyone is interested in catching a cup of coffee. I may be here for a while until I can find a clear way out of these mountains.

RR

Yes, Salt Lake City. The weather broke enough to make it to Provo. Started snowing harder and there isn't much south on I15. Trying to make out of the Rockies on I70 thru Denver. Some local knowledge of Hwy 6 between I15 and I70 would be helpful. Don't know if it is safe to take 6 or just continue down 15 to 70 at Beaver.

Anybody local for some help? (Guess I will check the VR contact list).

Things could be worse. Just got a call from my brother who was riding back from LA to Dallas and had a major oil leak. He is stranded on the side of I10 east of El Paso. He has some business contacts that are on the way to rescue him with a trailer. He rides a Honda Shadow 1100. Up till now it has been pretty bulletproof.

The Venture has been running like a dream. It is really frustrating to only get 200 or 300 miles a day. If the weather cooperates, I may need to do a Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles in 24 hrs) to get home for work on Monday. Just need to get out of these damn mountains so I can dodge tornadoes.

RR

Jeff,hwy.6 is a great bike route..

However,with the snow,I wouldn't take it...

Unless you get the all clear....

It does cut some miles,but they get some pretty good snows down by Beaver too...

If the storm is moving east,you will run into it again by Vail..

That's the best I got for ya..

Stay safe and don't worry about work..

I called ya in already....:D:D

Some days life really sucks! Then others it get worse. Those mountain snows this time of year can eat your lunch fast. Sorry, but when you get out of there pick a route that runs through as many valleys as you can. Does not take many feet in elevation up there to change from sun to snow. Be safe. Something tells me I have not told you anything you don't already know. :think:

I wouldn't try highway 6 in any kinda bad weather. Grew up a few miles from there and it is rated one of the most dangerous highways out there. but no matter what you still have to deal with I70 over to Denver as well. If you are trying to get home to Wisconsin, good luck. The I80 route through Wyoming would have been worse though.

Well, I had a nice day of riding south in I15, to hwy 50 east, to I70 east. It came to a screaching halt just short of Vail. Vail summit to the Eisenhauer bridge is under 'chain up' orders. Once this clears, I should have clear sailing to the home port. 1100 miles MOL, looks like I will need to go into rally mode. I was hoping to be riding thru Nebraska tonight. It is only a little less boring in the dark.

Well, I had a nice day of riding south in I15, to hwy 50 east, to I70 east. It came to a screaching halt just short of Vail. Vail summit to the Eisenhauer bridge is under 'chain up' orders. Once this clears, I should have clear sailing to the home port. 1100 miles MOL, looks like I will need to go into rally mode. I was hoping to be riding thru Nebraska tonight. It is only a little less boring in the dark.

Real glad your safe buddy..

I told ya Vail was going to be a problem....:bang head:

You brought everything but your tire chains eh'...........

Made it home about 7:00 this evening. The weather the last couple of days has been fantastic. Too bad all the riding was just squaring off my tires on I80 in Nebraska, Iowa, and WI.

Anyhoo, it's nice to be home. 5800 miles total.

RR

:group cheers::photographing::photographing::photographing::photographing:

WHERE'S THE PICTURES?

I've got them uploaded from the camera. Just have to sort them so only the family oriented pictures get posted. Think Sunset Strip, not Provo, Utah :smile5:

Actually, just kidding. All pics are family friendly. However, there are 134 of them and not all are good. The wife has a few items for me to take care of before I get access to the computer though.

All in due time. Here are a couple of samples.

RR