IGNORED

While I got it apart....

Ok well when I went to do some things to my bike I found some questionable wiring. I have now split the fairing, removed a TON of PO added unused wire and am cleaning things up. Is there anything else I want to pay special atention to or change while I have things apart? I am also considering replacing the right side of the fairing as when I got it apart I found most tabs broken off, a crack on the bottom, another crack that looks to have been super glued together. I am also considering adding some stuff that this bike does not have, like a cruise control.

Thank You all for the info, Shaun

I find that I need to take issue with your sig.

Following this sterling advice, I have added two other tools to my kit. They are a very large screwdriver, and a 4lb hammer.

If it doesn't unscrew you hammer it until it falls off .... plus, the bonus .... If hammering something doesn't "fix" it, then the problem is clearly electrical, and we are back to the screwdriver.

See how easy diagnosis and repair gets???

I am also considering adding some stuff that this bike does not have, like a cruise control.

Thank You all for the info, Shaun

Trust me on the following, I am experienced in adding cruise to an 83.

If you are thinking a stock cruise unit then you need to start thinking a new wiring harness.

You will need a new clutch, front and rear brake switches. A cruise electronics module, a vacuum pump, a bellows unit. Different throttle cable joint probably. Need either a pod above the handle bars (where key go in), or a different instrument cluster, these two depend on year you get. Also need a different throttle side control switch. Also in your case, you have an 83, you will need all 4 throttle cables from an MKII, the ends on the 83 cables at the junction box are different, won't work with the cruise setup.

Be afraid, very afraid. This is what I set out to do to my bike a couple of years ago. It was a content 1200 Venture at that point. Now look at it.

A throttle locker is a friggin lot cheaper. Doesn't have near the pucker factor as where I am now, but the old lady will accept a $20 mod a lot easier.

Gary

Thank You Gary. I think I will just get the plastic throttle lock cruise. I also think I will say with the accessories that I have. I have repaired the mouse chewed wires and gotten rid of all the extra wires leftover in there. I am cleaning up things and should be getting her done hopefully in the next couple weeks. Shaun

Wife is getting a little bugged at this project now. She about flipped when she got home and saw the fairing off the bike. So spending any more money is something I am not going to even mention to her, I like my comfy bed. Shaun

If your fairing is off it would be a good time to take off the CDI and open it up to dry it. Some have moved it to the top of the airbox. If you don't want to do that I would at least take out the phillips screws that hold it and replace them with some hex head screws to help in removing it later if you ever have a problem with it. Its the best time to replace the plug wires too.:D

Clean all the connections you can get to. Lube Speedo as Freebird said and tach while you got them turned over. Tach always gets the slows on these young bikes. Might change plug wires. Good advice to dry TCI if you run out of things to do. And move it up on top of Air Box when you put things back. After you finish that come back and we will give you a few other things.