IGNORED

Riding season will be shortened for now

1BigDog

Looks like my riding season will be shortened for a while. Went to see a different orthopedic surgeon yesterday about my right knee, which was scoped out 2 years ago by another surgeon and is failing. I was hoping he would be able to do another scope to buy me some more time but after his thorough evaluation he says I definitely need a new knee. There are several things going on in there that just cant be scoped out. He also looked at pics of my left knee and said that it looked much worse then my right knee. I told him that knee was scoped out in 1998 and its been holding up fine save for some low level pain. He was surprised. Either way, looks like ill be shooting for a Jan 2012 surgery date. I should have sufficient leave for this by then. He also took me off naproxen and started me on Celebrex, which seems to be working a little better. WooHoo, only 10 more months to go!!:backinmyday:

Just a quick tip, go to your doctor and give some blood that they can give you during and after the surgery. It in my mind is just safer that way. You will get your own blood back instead of someone else's that is "close" to yours. With the technology today this has become pretty standard and not a lot of complications. Take it easy and know that you will have the entire family of Venture Riders pulling for you. Shaun

Wish I knew what the 'H' was wrong with my knee's. The pain I'm getting is in the tendons in the back of the knee. Started about 3 months ago, and I have good days and bad days, but overall it's a PITA.... I've had x-rays and still have a 1/4" of padding in the joints. The last tiime I saw the Doc he put me on accu-puncture which did absolutely nothing, and was a waste of $90 bucks... Motrin and I have become good friends...:)

• 1 month later...
I'm getting my rt knee replaced apr 25. Doc told me no riding for 8 weeks I hope he is right.

So, how did the surgery go? And what system did he use?

By the way, I have an appt with yet another ortho surgeon next week. Seems he specializes in repairing even the worst knees. Im really resistant to having new "parts" added to anything other then the bike. This guy did wonders for a co-workers knee, who was also told the knee needed replacement. Hes doing real well on the "fixed" knee.

Im adding a leather streamer to my black cane and maybe an iso grip as well. :smile5::smile5::smile5:

Hope all goes well Ruffy. My wife went through haveing both knees replaced at the same time a year ago. She is a LOT better now..

Hope your ressults are the same or better..

Hey, if you need someone to take care of that bike for ya, I know a guy who would at least wax it for you once every 2 months..That is IF it was in Charleston, Sc until you can ride it again..:whistling:

Hey, if you need someone to take care of that bike for ya, I know a guy who would at least wax it for you once every 2 months..That is IF it was in Charleston, Sc until you can ride it again..:whistling:

I know that guy too.....hes pretty used to waxing acres of plastic parts. But the RSV has more chrome so he may be out of practice.....:rasberry:

I don't understand the 10 month wait. I was getting a cortisone shot every 90 days or so and when that didn't work the last time, I was scheduled within a month.

I have to add that I had 4 surgeries covering 46 years starting in 1961 - the 5th time was the replacement. There wasn't too much left to scrape - btw - none of them were orthoscopic surgeries :bang head:

My new knew was the best thing to happen to me :thumbsup: except for my 2007 Venture

So how old were you guys when you had your knees replaced? I've been having troubles since Feb. of 06, and the doctors tell me that I'm to young. I'm 40 now and was 35 when the troubles started. I was using Meloxicam for a while, then a lot of Ibuprofen for quite some time. Neither seemed to help me much. Now I've been on Lexapro for a few months, which seems to help with the pain better then the others. But there are still days when it is almost useless. I've also started having issues with my hips and ankles.

Bill

:bawling: LOL!

Edited by a1bummer
Damn Dyslexia!

I don't understand the 10 month wait. I was getting a cortisone shot every 90 days or so and when that didn't work the last time, I was scheduled within a month.My new knew was the best thing to happen to me :thumbsup: except for my 2007 Venture

Its a financial thing. I only have a few weeks of vacation time left and 4 hrs of sick leave. Jan ill be advanced 5 weeks of leave with some more sick leave built up. Or I may be retired by then, in which case Jeans insurance will cover me and there will be no worries then as far as recuperation time goes. 3-4 months is a lot to go without a paycheck.

So how old were you guys when you had your knees replaced? I've been having troubles since Feb. of 06, and the doctors tell me that I'm to young. I'm 40 now and was 35 when the troubles started. I was using Meloxicam for a while, then a lot of Ibuprofen for quite some time. Neither seemed to help me much. Now I've been on Lexapro for a few months, which seems to help with the pain better then the others. But there are still days when it is almost useless. I've also started having issues with my hips and ankles.

Bill

:bawling: LOL!

My trouble started in 1961 in the Army, again in 1977, twice in 1978. then a respite except for pain till 2008 and had it replaced. The dr's wanted to replace it in 1978 but was too young, I was 65 when I finally gave in. Wise decision

My wife had her's done at 65. They wouldn't do them until then. I think it's based on how long they expect the prothesis to last. 10 years seems about what I'd heard. So I think at 75 you don't have many years left and will go without.

Had mine replaced monday.Today i went for pt.Knee feels better now than before surgery.Only problem i cant straigten out all the way and it gets stiff fast.Pt said motion will come back when swelling goes down.Walking around house with walker for balanice cane outside walked 1mile today before pt.

Saw the last Ortho surgeon today and he confirmed what I feared. Knee needs replacing. I was holding out on finding that special dr who would tackle another scope but this one says its just way too bad. So, after three "2nd" opinions im going ahead with the surgery. Now to decide on which system to go with. Just like bike parts there are different types of knee systems. Kinda like deciding on a Barnett conversion with the pretty purple plate, the PCW kit or going back to stock. Hmmmm, I think ill go with the pretty purple one even though it will never be seen....:smile5:

If I can get my financial ducks in a row ill have it in Sept with a 3-4 month recoop date.

Thanks to all the advice, whether it was here or private phone calls.

Saw the last Ortho surgeon today and he confirmed what I feared. Knee needs replacing. I was holding out on finding that special dr who would tackle another scope but this one says its just way too bad. So, after three "2nd" opinions im going ahead with the surgery. Now to decide on which system to go with. Just like bike parts there are different types of knee systems. Kinda like deciding on a Barnett conversion with the pretty purple plate, the PCW kit or going back to stock. Hmmmm, I think ill go with the pretty purple one even though it will never be seen....:smile5:

If I can get my financial ducks in a row ill have it in Sept with a 3-4 month recoop date.

Thanks to all the advice, whether it was here or private phone calls.

doesn't make too much difference which one you decide on, they still pull you aside at the airport and rub you all over :happy-emoticon:

A 3 to 4 month recuperation is pretty much normal unless you hyper-extend your new knee while changing a garage door opener :bang head::bang head:

I understand that can get you another 2 months of rehab therapy.

don't ask me how I know