IGNORED

GL1800 vs RSV, initial observations

Midrsv

Since Eck asked, I thought I would post my initial observations on my new Goldwing compared to the RSV. With the crappy weather we've had this week I've only been able to put about 180 miles on it.

First, these bikes are different with good and bad attributes for each.

The Wing is an easier bike to ride. With the greater engine torque starts are effortless and you don't have to shift as frequently. I rarely let the RSV get below 2500 RPMs and the Wing rarely gets over 2500. The Wing has incredible acceleration and I've been good during the break-in period.

The Wing feels lighter, more nimble, and is easier to get off the side stand. Slow speed handling is better.

The RSV has a better ride. It is smoother going over bridge transitions and road defects. The wing translates a lot of these bumps and vibrations through the handlebars.

The RSV has better wind protection. I get significant head buffeting on the wing and that is a dissapointment. I've got to work on that.

The brakes on the Wing are better. They are linked so you get some rear brake with the front and some front with the rear.

The riding position is more relaxed on the RSV, of course we all knew that. I do prefer the floor boards and heel/toe shifter. For height challenged individuals like myself, the Wing sits a little lower and I can get my feet planted better for parking lot manuevers.

The dash layout and instrumentation on the Wing is better and the audio controls are more intuitive.

The Wing is quieter with less mechanical noise between your legs.

I think the RSV is easier to work on. Everything is covered on the Wing. I'm sure I'll learn how to get under the covers. Probably this weekend when I install my GPS and a 12V outlet (which should have been standard on the bike).

As I stated earlier, these bikes are different. I wish I could combine the features of both and create the perfect bike. The choice of one over the other is a series of compromises. On the Wing I compromised leg comfort.

Your mileage may vary.

Dennis

What are your observations about the fork mounted (RSV) versus frame mounted (Goldwing) fairing. I've always felt more comfortable with fork mounted and so the RSV "feels" better to me. But that could only be cause I'm used to fork mounted fairings. I've ridden a few Wings and the frame mounted fairing always feels odd to me going into corners. Your thoughts?

What are your observations about the fork mounted (RSV) versus frame mounted (Goldwing) fairing. I've always felt more comfortable with fork mounted and so the RSV "feels" better to me. But that could only be cause I'm used to fork mounted fairings. I've ridden a few Wings and the frame mounted fairing always feels odd to me going into corners. Your thoughts?

It does take some getting used to. I didn't have too much trouble adjusting to the frame mount while moving at normal speeds, corners, curves, highway etc. I did, and still do have some problem in parking lots and around gas pumps. I point the bars where I want to go and the bike just looks like it going to continue on the path that the fairing is pointed. It ultimately comes around. I'm sure it is something I'll get used to.

Dennis

Get the baker wings under the mirror and it will help tremendously with wind buffetting. Mine is gone totally but I also put on a clearview tall windshield too. Im doing a few mods to try and make it exactly like I want it..My Hwy pegs are a great addition and fits me perfect. Everytime I ride mine I love it more and more. I loved my RSV too just wish they wouldve updated some.Both are super bikes though.

I've owned a 1st Gen and now I have a 2nd Gen (had both at the same time for a while). When I first got on my 1st Gen the frame mounted faring really freaked me out. I couldn't tell a thing about where the bike was going at parking lot speeds, but it only took a couple of weeks until I didn't notice it any longer. Now the only thing that I (personally) feel that is lacking in my 2nd Gen is the frame mounted faring. Having the faring mounted to the frame just opens up a lot of possibility for personalizing the bike to make it more comfortable for you (mounting accessories, wind protection, etc.).

Question was asked about fork mounted fairing on RSV vs frame mount on the GW. I rode a '84 Venture Royale 20 years so frame mount is not new. I had my '07 RSV for a little more than a year. I find that there is less steering input from cross winds and/or wind blast from the big rigs on the freeway on the GW. My new-to-me '07 GL1800 has a really tall Tulsa Enterprises wind screen, installed by the PO. Very little helmet buffeting, but I have to look through the wind screen. I agree that the GL1800 feels (and is) lower, more "nimble", easier to handle.

Guest scarylarry

I have study buying a wing on more than one occasion, like you said the sitting comfort is one the handling is great.

The maint. only draw back I seen was the air filter, and the labor of removing it.

I ride average of 27k miles a year so cleaning or replacing the filter is something i like to do often I do blow them out at every oil change..

Changing the rear tire on a GW is something yammy missed the boat big time..

They all have their qurks and if there are changes in 2013 on the GW as far as sitting postion this venture is gone..

Dennis,

If you have a quesiton on how to tear it apart..feel free to ask me. Would be happy to help you..

Eck

Dang Eck, that is ugly under there. I'm tearing into mine tomorrow. I've looked at the how-to videos and photos online and it looks more daunting than I suspect it really is. Just take it apart a panel at a time and reverse the process putting all back together again.

Dennis

Guest scarylarry
Dang Eck, that is ugly under there. I'm tearing into mine tomorrow. I've looked at the how-to videos and photos online and it looks more daunting than I suspect it really is. Just take it apart a panel at a time and reverse the process putting all back together again.

Dennis

Post back let me/us how hard it is, I'm looking at one tomorrow but won't be able to do a test ride till next week, 90% chance of rain..

This is the I'm looking at:

http://www.sloansmotorcycle.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=07237512X3K25K2011J7I17I47JPMQ6622R0&veh=24721&pov=2059777

Post back let me/us how hard it is, I'm looking at one tomorrow but won't be able to do a test ride till next week, 90% chance of rain..

This is the I'm looking at:

http://www.sloansmotorcycle.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=07237512X3K25K2011J7I17I47JPMQ6622R0&veh=24721&pov=2059777

Larry, unless you specifically want ABS and the Honda NAV, at $15,000 you're not too far from the price of a new base 2010 with that one.

If you are interested in a CB that one doesn't have one on it judging from the antennas. A CB runs $800 or so. Through the end of this month Honda is running a $1000 dealer incentive plus $1000 in accessories (CB) a fourth year added to the warranty and 0.99% financing. The price on a base 2010 at Lawrencville Honda in GA (where I bought mine) was $18200 ($19200 - the $1000 dealer incentive) and you get a CB with a few more accessories for the $1000 accessory bonus and you have a 4 year warranty. But no ABS or Navi.

Dennis

Guest scarylarry

Thanks Midrsv, all I'm right now I'm is window shopping but this was some great info..

There a few things I have to get over one is the seating, and some minor maint. that takes forever to do..I don't have patience over stupid stuff and removing all the plastic was just insane, seems there could be a better design.

GPS is a maybe CB is a must and ABS is a bonus

I don't think there will be a change 2013 enlight of what happen in Japan, new designs are down onthe list I'm sure..

Honda is always offering deals on the finance and some are better than others and this one is good.

I have heard a lot of good things about that dealer as well as lakehill in Ms.

That is there asking price and they would have to come off a lot, since I'm not trading and I have bike and finally they are not moving bikes right now..

Again thanks and I will vist them again

You mentioned ABS. When I was shopping I knew what ABS was, what it did, how it worked and I was will to pay for it.

Was it a deal breaker at the time?...no.

Although I have not yet had call to need it in the wild, I have tried it out in every road condition I could think of from dry pavement to muddy gravel. IMHO it works very well.

Will it be a deal breaker on my next bike?.....there is a good chance, That would be a hard one to give up.

:2cents:

ABS on mine..I had to try it out so when it started raining off I went to the highway..took a deep breath ran the bike up to about 35 or so and hit the brakes..VERY HARD..It just stopped,and QUICK,no tire skid..ABS is for me!

I bought a 2010 Airbag equipped GL1800 for $24,100 and I love it. It has ABS and an Airbag, but it did come bunled with a XM radio (which I will never use) and a navigation system that is a PITA to use.

I do prefer the ride over the RSV.

What do I like over the RSV? The GL1800 has more power over a wider RPM band, handle parking lots better. Comes with a center stand so rear tire inspections are much easier. it has two low beam lights (twice the light in low beam) and two high beam lights (quadruple the light on high beam as the low beams stay on when the highs come on). STIFF frame, I could feel the frame flexing my RSV as I would corner and I cannot detect any frame flex on the GL1800.

What did I give up from the RSV? Leg room, as I have a 36" inseam I am now looking for highway pegs. Ease of maintenance as the GL1800 has lots of "Tupperware" to remove to do most any maintenance (I am NOT looking forward to my first air filter change). I had to buy a CB radio and install it (lots of Tupperware). I have yet to figure out how to change out a high beam lamp (It does not need it yet but I am dreading the day it does). the GL1800 has cast aluminum handle bars so there is NO adjustment for it (I will be buying some riser blocks to give adjustment). HUGE alternator so I can add just about any electrical accessory.

The GL1800 has more wind protection than the RSV which is a good and a bad thing as I will be warmer on cold days but possibly hotter on warm days. I have ridden my GL1800 on a 19F day which is something I would NEVER do on an RSV (I was wearing a Gerbing heated vest and gloves)

The GL1800 weighs more than the RSV but sense it has a boxster engine the center of mass seems to be lower.

Anything is a compromise. Do I prefer the GL1800 over the RSV? YES. Do I prefer the GL1800 forums over this RSV forum? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there are way to many good people here and I feel I need to put on a Fire Fighting Ensemble to visit most goldwing forums.

So I will continue to pay my membership fee to visit my friends here at VentureRider.com.

"I bought a 2010 Airbag equipped GL1800 for $24,100 and I love it. It has ABS and an Airbag, but it did come bunled with a XM radio (which I will never use) and a navigation system that is a PITA to use."

Goldwing is the only other bike I would consider ...

Wish they'd drop that xm radio and Nav system though, and knock $1500 off, as I wouldn't use either.

It would be perfect for me as I have 29" inseam.

If you get tired of her, let me know and we willl work out a trade...LOL

:Venture::mo money:

i sold my 08 wing last fall to a member. i really do miss it. the only two things that i liked better about the venture is with my bad knees i prefer the floor boards over pegs, and the venture in my opinion is the best looking bike on the road. in all other aspects the wing wins hands down. there is no comparison. the venture is not even in the same league. the engine configuration on the wing unfortionately creates the sportbike like seating position which is not a problem if you are not really tall or have knee or leg problems. as far as being hard to work on, you very seldom need to work on a wing. they are the most reliable bike in the world bar none. there is a 500,000 mile club and a few with over a million miles. the only reason i sold my wing is my wife does'nt ride alot anymore, and i want to down size for my second retirement. i now have left a v-star 1300, a nomad solo bagger custom, a majesty 400 scooter, and a 1958 cushman pacemaker. i'm as happy as a puppy with two peckers. :rotf::2133:

Dennis,

If you have a quesiton on how to tear it apart..feel free to ask me. Would be happy to help you..

Eck

Great photos but would scare the crap out of anyone that looks at them. :yikes: I've owned two of the 1800's and never again but lots of people love them, even with having to spend hours in Tupperware removal and replace. Thanks for the photos. :thumbsup2:

Ok, I spent the afternoon tearing the new Goldwing apart. Pulled all of the shelter, instrument panel, side covers and motor covers off and ran the wiring for my GPS and a 12V outlet in the left side pocket. I used the accessory plug under the pocket to trigger a relay which was connected directly from the battery. It really wasn't much harder than doing the same thing on my RSV given that I would of had to pull the tank, passing lamps, windshield and fairing to do a similar thing on it. A lot of the panels just pull of since they are held by rubber grommets. I probably had to remove fewer screws than on the Venture. Everything went back together well and the panels all fit easily.

Now that I've got the GPS, XM and telephone working I now have to find some electronic filters to get rid of the alternator whining noise coming throught the AUX input. I've read that the noise fairly common so I hope the filters available online work.

Dennis

Ok, I spent the afternoon tearing the new Goldwing apart. Pulled all of the shelter, instrument panel, side covers and motor covers off and ran the wiring for my GPS and a 12V outlet in the left side pocket. I used the accessory plug under the pocket to trigger a relay which was connected directly from the battery. It really wasn't much harder than doing the same thing on my RSV given that I would of had to pull the tank, passing lamps, windshield and fairing to do a similar thing on it. A lot of the panels just pull of since they are held by rubber grommets. I probably had to remove fewer screws than on the Venture. Everything went back together well and the panels all fit easily.

Now that I've got the GPS, XM and telephone working I now have to find some electronic filters to get rid of the alternator whining noise coming throught the AUX input. I've read that the noise fairly common so I hope the filters available online work.

Dennis

Call this Guy,Lewis is his name,he can fix you up. http://www.electricalconnection.com/index2.htm

I was looking at the Goldwing site. I saw that the difference between the base Goldwing and the one with GPS and XM is $2,700

bucks. Sure seems to me that it would be money well spent to buy a Zumo 665 for $700 bucks than to go with the one built in!

AND you have to get the XM and Navi if you want ABS or then the Airbag..... I wish they offerd the Airbag bike without XM and Navi........ oh well

I was looking at the Goldwing site. I saw that the difference between the base Goldwing and the one with GPS and XM is $2,700

bucks. Sure seems to me that it would be money well spent to buy a Zumo 665 for $700 bucks than to go with the one built in!

My thoughts exactly. I already had a Zumo 550 that I wanted to use anyway. And, the Honda GPS isn't very user friendly.

Dennis