IGNORED

Big thanks to Bob Myers!

Mr. Myers came to my rescue by fabbing up a seal driver for 43mm forks.

This driver will be passed around to other members who want to work on 2nd gen forks.

1 side drives in the bushing and seal, the other side drives in the dust seal.

Ruffy is first on the list.

*edited for mor guder picshures.

Edited by flb_78

Guest tx2sturgis

I wish you had made a series of photos showing how the tool works...for us dummies out here...

It sure looks like a well made piece!

:happy34:

I wish you had made a series of photos showing how the tool works...for us dummies out here...

It sure looks like a well made piece!

:happy34:

It is a 2 piece slide hammer basically. I had not put the counterbore in the top side to drive the dust seal in, Forrest started to tap the seal in and held the tool up to bump it. He looked at the tool and at me and we both knew instantly what it needed to be a truly universal too.

As Forrest and I discussed, who ever has it will pay shipping to send it to who ever needs it, just like the ride like a pro video. Using USPS flat rate most it should cost is around $6 or 7.

Forrest, thanks for the good words.

Do you have it already? Someone needs to start a thread on where it is needed next so we'll know where it was last.

No, I havent received it as of today, but I was going by the pics that are posted. It just looks like a nice piece of work. Cant wait to see it. :smile5:

FLB_78 Glad to hear your are making progress on your scooter. Thats a fine job that Bob done on that tool too.

You need to go back to your old picture. It scared me something terrible when I saw you looking at me from your avatar like that. :stickpoke: :stirthepot: :rotf::rotf:

C.R.

ah, it's not that bad is it? My mom told me it was cute. :cool10:

Not to take anything away from Bob's fab job, but this is what I used....

It's 1 1/2" schedule 40 DWV PVC pipe. I pulled the inner fork tube half way up its stroke and then hose clamped the split piece of pipe to the fork tube, using the tube as a slide hammer.

You just have to be careful that the PVC doesn't slide on the tube and let the tube bottom out in the outer fork leg. Then when I felt that the bushing/seal was pretty much set, I used a long (long enough to extend above the fork tube) 2"x4" and tapped it a few time with a hammer to be sure.

I know it's a cobble and nowhere near the professional tool that Bob made, but it's what I had on hand and it works very well as long as you're careful.

Received the tool today. Looks nice. Should be able to tear it down soon. Ill post when im finished and if anyone needs the tool next PM me and ill mail it to you. Thanks again....:smile5:

Well it looks like I may need the tool.

I have my bike on the lift waiting for the valve adjustment tool and I see a spot on the floor below one of the forks. Fork is wet.

Can anyone tell me the seals and/or bushing to order so that I am ready for the tear down?

Thanks!

flb, What all did you replace?

I changed the suggested upper and lower bushings, the copper crush washers on the damper rod bolts, and the oil seals. I didn't replace the dust seal because they rarely give problems, and I'm not counting the springs and spacers as "must replace" parts but they should be done as long as you're in to the forks.

the parts for one side of the forks....

4nk-23147-00-00 - oring for the top of the tube

4nk-23157-00-00 - piston ring

4nk-23135-00-00 - metal slide

4nk-23144-00-00 - dust seal

4nk-23145-00-00 - oil seal

4nk-23146-00-00 - whoops, I didn't order this, it's the washer on top of the oil seal, I miscopied and pasted, not needed.

4nk-23125-00-00 - metal slide

3ma-23129-10-00 - crush washer

Thank you both FLB and Straycat!!

I had already guessed at the seals and ordered them along with my valve cover gaskets. I had missed a few though so I emailed and asked to add to the order.

Now to search for some Progressive springs to go in there while I have them apart and wait til Ruffy is done with that deluxe tool

I can see where this could lead to more tools for other projects too. Maybe someone could chat up Freebird and have a "loaner tool sub forum or sticky or whatever so tools needed can be acquired from those who have them. I 'spose one for 1st gen bikes would have a life here too?

Straycatt: thats the way I used to do it too, works just dandy!