IGNORED

87 venture air ride setting and pressures?

Trying different things but whats the best air pressure for the front and rear and dial setting, 1,2,or 3. I ride most of the time weighing about 225. When my wife ride with me thats about 150 more. Now i have the dial on 2 and air about 35 in each. Seems soft and comfy for me but front has bottomed out on some bumps. :confused24:

Chances are if your forks are bottoming out, you have the tired original springs in the forks. You can replace with progressive springs for less than 100 bucks and you will think you have a new bike.

Mine used to bottom out too, and when the progressives went in everything firmed up and I dont put any air in the forks now.

There is a thread here somewhere describing how to do it, it doesnt look to hard for a DIY guy.

Brian

Yep, sounds like the new Progressives are due. OEM springs in these bikes are junk. When I changed mine it changed the whole stance of the bike. You could see the difference even when the bike was sitting parked on the side stand. Raised the front a LOT!!

It ended the bottoming problem for good. With the Progressives you can forget the air pressure to the front unless you want to stiffen it up a bit for playing in the twisties.

I tell riders to find the proper air pressure that keeps the bike from bottoming out on both ends and rides the way you want it......then play with the dampening to find the softest ride. I'm 6'2" at 285 lbs and I run, for solo 55 in the rear and nothing in the front with the dampener set at 2. If I ride 2 up I'll go to 65 or 70 in the rear and maybe go to 3 on the dampener. It all depends on how you want the bike to feel for your weight load. It's different for everybody.

• 1 month later...

Like everyone said, your front springs are shot and the progressive are stiffer springs and won't need air in the front after you install them. For your info, I have an 86 with orginal springs in the front with 38,000 miles on the bike. I run 10-15 lbs front and 40- 45 rear two up @ about 350 lbs + or - for the two of us. Damping set on 3, but I like a stiffer ride.