IGNORED

More proof a 1st gen is better than a 2nd

muffinman

Last week I had a rotational knocking sound between 5 and 10mph and a wobble on hard acceleration.Well I took the rear wheel off today to find the problem and I found that the wheel bearing at the differential was Gone and the drive cog in the differential was loose.

Would a second gen still have gotten me home from a 300 mile run at 80 to 90 mph?

Here are some pics of what I found and what the parts should have looked like

The bike was still pulling strong and had very little symptoms.

Jeff

Last week I rode I didn't have and knocking noise I didn't have to worry about making it home I didn't have to tear it apart and fix it. I just parked it and when I get ready to ride again it will go with no problems and no extra work.:rasberry::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Last week I rode I didn't have and knocking noise I didn't have to worry about making it home I didn't have to tear it apart and fix it. I just parked it and when I get ready to ride again it will go with no problems and no extra work.

Same here Redneck.....

I never have to worry about mine getting me back home, and like yours, it's ready to go again...:thumbsup2: :cool10::rasberry::whistling::rotf::stirthepot:

Last week I rode I didn't have and knocking noise I didn't have to worry about making it home I didn't have to tear it apart and fix it. I just parked it and when I get ready to ride again it will go with no problems and no extra work.

Same here Redneck.....

I never have to worry about mine getting me back home, and like yours, it's ready to go again...:thumbsup2: :cool10::rasberry::whistling::rotf::stirthepot:

I NEVER KNEW YOU HADE TO WORK ON THEM MY 2nd Gen ONLY NEEDS GAS AND TIRES EVRY NOW AND THEN. "GAS" CAUSE I RIDE EVERY DAY WORRY FREE...."TIRES" CAUSE IT WILL BURN THEM RIGHT OFF........:rotf::rotf::rotf::stirthepot:

You are right Lowell the only way his bike will every see 50K again is in the back of a truck:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Not to mention we have seen his bike I am not sure it even knows what rain or road dirt is.

Froggy I did grease it in August and that was only 18k ago.

I may just lube it every other oil change.

Jeff

I NEVER KNEW YOU HADE TO WORK ON THEM MY 2nd Gen ONLY NEEDS GAS AND TIRES EVRY NOW AND THEN. "GAS" CAUSE I RIDE EVERY DAY WORRY FREE...."TIRES" CAUSE IT WILL BURN THEM RIGHT OFF........

Yeah, I think we need to delete the 2ndGen Tech talk section from the board.... They don't need it, and it's just taking up valuable band space. I mean heck there's never any posts in it anyway... They're so perfect. I think they should get rid of the 2ndGen Tech Library too. The articals are just fictional ramblings.... :stirthepot::rotf::rotf::rotf:

What silly logic to conclude such a thing from an event like that. That's really reaching for an excuse. From those pics it looks like us 2nd genners have the same parts, only ours aren't worn out and threatening to lock up the rear wheel throwing us into an unexpected skid. :yikes:

Yeah, I think we need to delete the 2ndGen Tech talk section from the board.... They don't need it, and it's just taking up valuable band space. I mean heck there's never any posts in it anyway... They're so perfect. I think they should get rid of the 2ndGen Tech Library too. The articals are just fictional ramblings.... :stirthepot::rotf::rotf::rotf:

What he said!!! :clap2::clap2::clap2:

My 99....14,000 miles this year.My 86....250 miles this year.My 99,turn on the key,hit the start switch,drive away..My 86..turn on key,hit the start switch,wait 2 days then try again.....wait 2 days then try again...wait 2 days then try again...wait 2 days then try again.Spent more time waiting than I did riding the 99........Anyone want to buy a 1st gen?:rotf:

Gee, I've got an 86, and nobody told me about the "wait 2 days" maintenance procedure to cure a non-start condition. It would be good to know if that ever happens to me. Is that in the technical forum somewhere??

Muffinman came and worked on the 86 and it ran GREAT for a couple weeks.I let it sit a couple weeks and it hasn't started since.The "wait two days" is because I don't have the patience to try and start it everyday.

Last week I rode I didn't have and knocking noise I didn't have to worry about making it home I didn't have to tear it apart and fix it. I just parked it and when I get ready to ride again it will go with no problems and no extra work.:rasberry::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Believe a Redneck.... yah Right...... all Lies..he wouldnt tell the truth if his life depended on it:buttkick::rotfl::stirthepot::rasberry:

Froggy I did grease it in August and that was only 18k ago.

I may just lube it every other oil change.

Jeff

Maybe time to change the seal, looks like water got in with the grease, and that is never a good thing. All them 2nd genners only have to wait a few more years and then they'll find that the seals get old and dry, and then they won't know how to fix anything because they didn't think to pay attention when we was trying to learn them somthin.

My 99....14,000 miles this year.My 86....250 miles this year.My 99,turn on the key,hit the start switch,drive away..My 86..turn on key,hit the start switch,wait 2 days then try again.....wait 2 days then try again...wait 2 days then try again...wait 2 days then try again.Spent more time waiting than I did riding the 99........Anyone want to buy a 1st gen?:rotf:

Hey 1rooster; did you try putting gas in that 1st Gen?:stirthepot::stirthepot: