IGNORED

Trailer thoughts

Well I am thinking about building a trailer for my bike. I am thinking about doing a steel frame with a fiberglass shell. Now I know that there are plenty of people here that have pulled trailers and what are your thoughts? Anything a bike trailer needs? Anything to watch out for.

I have experience with fiberglass and the know-how to make the mold and all so there are no worries there. I also have decent welding skills. I have made boat trailers before so I know how to keep it square so it will track strait. I have a source that I can get all the materials for around $250.

Should I try it or am I better off buying one? Shaun

I agree with Marcarl it IS satisfying to build your own! I also built mine by using a York 2000 weight set. Used legs of bench for frame under a cart op carrier . Tongue was made from the bar that went up back of set to hold weights.Bumper was made with stabilizer feet and got axle from old tent trailer my nephew had .Used LED lights to help with battery draw.It might not be the best looking like a store bought one but I built it /it works great and is VERY useful. Good luck with your build!

Bulding your own is very satisfying and what you wind up with is unique. I'd say go for it.

$250 for total materials cost is VERY cheap... Love to know how you are going to do that. I was pricing parts here to build mine and it was going to cost me about $130 just for an axle and springs. I wound up buying a Harbor Frieght kit and used all the materials to build mine. It was way less expensive but I still had my own trailer when it was done. Got a lot of help from Marcarl when it came time to paint it.

Guest Swifty
Got a lot of help from Marcarl when it came time to paint it.

...you mean you didn't know how to operate that little button on top of the spray bomb?

:stickpoke:

I agree with Marcarl it IS satisfying to build your own! I also built mine by using a York 2000 weight set. Used legs of bench for frame under a cart op carrier . Tongue was made from the bar that went up back of set to hold weights.Bumper was made with stabilizer feet and got axle from old tent trailer my nephew had .Used LED lights to help with battery draw.It might not be the best looking like a store bought one but I built it /it works great and is VERY useful. Good luck with your build!

Now that sounds innovative...and oughta be very cool too!

Would like to see a photo of the finished product.

Well I have a friend that can get me end lots of fiberglass, just have to wait until enough is available, for next to nothing. I am also a short drive from several manufactures that always have leftover steel for scrap price.

I will make the mold from foam then seal it so the resin will not attach to it. Then will do about six layers alternating the weave pattern of glass and then remove the foam. The next step will be the hardest. I have to trim the excess glass away but will need to ensure proper fit. The frame will be a cakewalk. I am doing something different with the tongue though. I will be putting in a bearing to allow the tongue to spin allowing the bike to lean without chance of binding the trailer hitch. The lights will be LED ti save battery. And with drivers that wont pay attention with there four wheel vehicles I may have to add a defense system, LOL. Shaun