Not trying to be smart clarkrcdc but this has been beat several times.

Use a good oil and whatever you feel needs to go with it. And change it as you should. I use Castrol 20/50 and no additives. That is the "Dino Car oil" Been using it for close to 50 yrs and never had a oil related problem after I quit trying to run a 6k motor at 12k.

I've heard you shouldn't use any additive in any motor. Becausse it is heavier and thicker and will eventually clog the filter. I'd rather have a good difinitive discussion on the best motor oil.:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

I'd recommend NEITHER.. Motorkote in the rear diff maybe but not in the engine. I've had problems with it enough to say I won't use it again on my bikes..

The school of thought for 'some' people is that oil is meant to make metal parts slip against each other without much wear.. yet in our bikes we need the friction of the clutch plates to work in order to move the bike.. if we add additives to make the oil even more slippery in the engine, it goes to say that the clutch gets a little more slippery as well. A lot of people will argue this point but my personal experience hasn't been that great with additives in bike engines..

A good quality engine oil (and that alone is another debate onto itself) changed at proper intervals will do your engine better than additives..

In a car, it's one thing.. in a bike? Something else..

But that's basically just MY opinion, I'm sure many others will have differing opinions..

I'd recommend NEITHER.. Motorkote in the rear diff maybe but not in the engine. I've had problems with it enough to say I won't use it again on my bikes..

The school of thought for 'some' people is that oil is meant to make metal parts slip against each other without much wear.. yet in our bikes we need the friction of the clutch plates to work in order to move the bike.. if we add additives to make the oil even more slippery in the engine, it goes to say that the clutch gets a little more slippery as well. A lot of people will argue this point but my personal experience hasn't been that great with additives in bike engines..

A good quality engine oil (and that alone is another debate onto itself) changed at proper intervals will do your engine better than additives..

In a car, it's one thing.. in a bike? Something else..

But that's basically just MY opinion, I'm sure many others will have differing opinions..

Thanks-- I think I will stay away from that stuff...:)

Could you provide some clarification of the problems you've experienced to back up your recommendation ... it would be helpful to know. Thanks.

Could you provide some clarification of the problems you've experienced to back up your recommendation ... it would be helpful to know. Thanks.

I know you're a keen believer in the Motorkote product but I ain't.. Last year I pointed out my observations to which you had replied your opinions of my opinions of the product..

So to avoid an argument that basically goes no where, I'll suffice to re-iterate that my issues with the product were of my own observations on my own bike, as to why I wouldn't use it again in my bike's engine.

There, that should settle that argument ;) (no malice intended..)

I know you're a keen believer in the Motorkote product but I ain't.. Last year I pointed out my observations to which you had replied your opinions of my opinions of the product..

So to avoid an argument that basically goes no where, I'll suffice to re-iterate that my issues with the product were of my own observations on my own bike, as to why I wouldn't use it again in my bike's engine.

dang.... my memory must REALLY be FADING ....

OK... settled! :D

OK, so I did a search for all posts by me referencing motorkote ... I found nothing that suggests I am a "keen believer" ... in fact, I didn't see anything that I specifically attributed any improvements to anything to the motorkote itself.

I also did a search for all posts by YOU referencing motorkote ... hmmmmm... didn't see anything in any of the above posts where I had opinions on your opinions of the product... maybe you got me mixed up with someone else ...????

OK, so I did a search for all posts by me referencing motorkote ... I found nothing that suggests I am a "keen believer" ... in fact, I didn't see anything that I specifically attributed any improvements to anything to the motorkote itself.

I also did a search for all posts by YOU referencing motorkote ... hmmmmm... didn't see anything in any of the above posts where I had opinions on your opinions of the product... maybe you got me mixed up with someone else ...????

Hmm perhaps I did.. the last time I posted a "I don't like MotorKote" and the reason why I was set upon by wild dogs and took a while to find the pieces.. the other person wasn't paying attention to the point I was making that *I* didn't like the product and thought it had contributed directly to a couple of clutch failures..

So here's the story why *I* don't like motorkote in my bike's engine and why *I* wouldn't use it in my bike's engine..

I had put some in my engine the other year as it was a highly recommended product by some members here.. But what was noticed soon afterwards was a smelly exhaust and clutch slippage.. I had taken an Advanced Riders Course and burnt the clutch out.. ugh.. Ok so perhaps I was heavy handed on the clutch in the slow riding part of the course but the smell out of the oil had a strong motorkote smell to it. (it has a definite smell to it).. Ok maybe it wasn't motorkote.. who knows.. But after cleaning out the clutch plates and changing clutch fluids the bike was up and running again..

A couple of oil changes later I took the course again a month later and the same thing happened.. The clutch literally gave up the ghost in the middle of a turn and I ended up dropping the bike.. burnt out the clutch THAT bad that the bike needed to be towed home.. Again that strong smell of Motorkote..

I ended up having to replace all the steel and friction plates in the clutch, new parts that hadn't been touched by motorkote product.. Later that year I took the course again, but with new clutch parts and NO problems.. I had probably done 6 oil changes since the first contact with motorkote.

My impression was that the product had left enough of it's slippery agents on the clutch parts that they would be too slippery, and thus slipping too much, over heating to the point of glazing the parts to total failure.. Yeah, sounds funny that a slippery agent would cause friction heat but that's the way it turned out..

How much of those clutch failures are actually attributed to the motorkote? Some, all, none? I don't know but "my" impression is that motorkote had some effect in the clutch failures.

This is not to slag the hell out of the product, just explaining why *I* personally wouldn't put it into my bike again.. it may be proven that it's the super duper best ever product to put into your bike, but not for me.. twice bitten once shy..

Cheers

I've been using Motorkote in my bikes for a while now, and am very happy with the product. Shifting is smoother and the motors, top end and gear whine, are less than without it. But I have never taken a ride like a pro class.

Hmm perhaps I did.. the last time I posted a "I don't like MotorKote" and the reason why I was set upon by wild dogs and took a while to find the pieces.. the other person wasn't paying attention to the point I was making that *I* didn't like the product and thought it had contributed directly to a couple of clutch failures..

So here's the story why *I* don't like motorkote in my bike's engine and why *I* wouldn't use it in my bike's engine..

ya, I saw/read all that in my searches. no problemo my friend ... to each their own.

I use the motorkote occasionally but that is not to say I am a firm believer in the product. Since I only have 32,000 kilometers on my scoot, I have no issues with the clutch....yet. But if it starts slipping too soon, I'll surely be taking a close look at it for signs of burning or otherwise and upgrading to a heavier spring, etc.

I've been using Motorkote in my bikes for a while now, and am very happy with the product. Shifting is smoother and the motors, top end and gear whine, are less than without it. But I have never taken a ride like a pro class.

I started using MK early last year when I hit 40,000 miles on the '99 RSV. I put in 4 - 5 oz. every 3rd oil change. I use a good 20W50 synthetic oil and a good filter (usually Mobile 1). I have experienced no clutch issues at all, and the engine purrs like it's new and the whine (chirp) is all but gone. So yes, I'm a fan. However, if I do start to experience any problems with the clutch, I would likely discontinue using MK as a troubleshooting measure to see if that may be part of the issue.

ya, I saw/read all that in my searches. no problemo my friend ... to each their own.

I use the motorkote occasionally but that is not to say I am a firm believer in the product. Since I only have 32,000 kilometers on my scoot, I have no issues with the clutch....yet. But if it starts slipping too soon, I'll surely be taking a close look at it for signs of burning or otherwise and upgrading to a heavier spring, etc.

I have close to 90,000 miles on mine right now with a heavy duty clutch.. not bad for an '06 ;)

I went through the various HD clutches and prefered the Banette setup better.. better lever travel and seems like better grip.. I liked it better than the.. Can't remember what it was called PCW racing? something like that.. Nothing wrong with their product, but I liked the Barnette set up better for my needs..