IGNORED

Total friggin lost

Last year my 2nd gen venture started right up as always. Pull choke press start, boom, immediate gratification. As the summer progressed, I would pull the choke press start, grind on starter for 5 seconds, engine starts small delay in gratification. Summer progresses more its now 100+ degree days, no choke press start crack the throttle grind starter 20 seconds engine finally starts. By the end of summer pull choke, press starter, grind on starter till I was ashamed of myself. Wait...............repeat, wait................. repeat finally starts. Then just as I parked it tried to start again......nothing but the ignition switch is on, the speedo does cycle through the checks, theradio controls all function. New fuel filter, fuel pump was replaced but did flow fuel as per the spec sheet.

All lights function as they should.

I did purchase a new TCI module as I thought that might be the problem and new plug wires. I am getting no spark to any of the spark plugs.

.nothing but the ignition switch is on, the speedo does cycle through the checks, theradio controls all function. All lights function as they should.

If the lights are on and the Speedo cycles not sure but I do not believe it is the ignition switch.

Does it crank over ?

Brad

I had a similar issue on a different bike , the problem was low amperage, I had plenty of volts but no amperage to push it.

If your engine is turning over fast enough this may not be the problem but if it turns slow you may not have enough amps to charge the capacitors ( I think that is the right word)

Mine turned out to be a battery that had grounded itself out internally. It was only 6 months old.

It showed 13 volts at battery, and across the fuse box but only 0.5 volts at the ignition.

Since your problem has gradually gotten worse I would start at the battery end. Check the simple stuff 1st, it is usually there.

I agree, a can or two of Seafoam may be in order and it can't hurt.

Tom

When switch goes bad I think :confused24: the starter will not engage. i.e. nothing works...

usually it is the push button starter switch. A little WD40 sprayed into it around the switch may get it clean enough to start without pulling it apart. If that works Take the housing apart and clean the contacts and re-lubricate with some di-electric grease ( not graphite)

EDIT: Thanks for the correction, DO NOT USE GRAPHITE.

Edited by TearlessTom
Wrong Information

usually it is the push button starter switch. A little WD40 sprayed into it around the switch may get it clean enough to start without pulling it apart. It that works Take the housing apart and clean the contacts and re-lubricate with some graphite.

Graphite is not a real good choice to use on electrical contacts.

It is a fairly good conductor.

:no-no-no:

Gary

The graphite will cause unintended paths for current, you can't just put it on the contact.

There will be the dreaded electrical curse known as "Short Circuits' every where the graphite is.

I should have been clearer in my previous post. Graphite is too good of a conductor for this purpose.

Gary

Are you getting ignition power to the coils? Check the simple things first clean the battery cables both ends. Don't just look at them take them apart and clean them. Pull all the fuses and check them make sure the connections are clean. Unplug all the harness plugs you can find and make sure they are clean. I have seen bad coils on second gens but not all at once but it is possible. Does your oil smell like gas? What do the spark plugs look like?

Last year my 2nd gen venture started right up as always. Pull choke press start, boom, immediate gratification. As the summer progressed, I would pull the choke press start, grind on starter for 5 seconds, engine starts small delay in gratification. Summer progresses more its now 100+ degree days, no choke press start crack the throttle grind starter 20 seconds engine finally starts. By the end of summer pull choke, press starter, grind on starter till I was ashamed of myself. Wait...............repeat, wait................. repeat finally starts. Then just as I parked it tried to start again......nothing but the ignition switch is on, the speedo does cycle through the checks, theradio controls all function. New fuel filter, fuel pump was replaced but did flow fuel as per the spec sheet.

All lights function as they should.

I did purchase a new TCI module as I thought that might be the problem and new plug wires. I am getting no spark to any of the spark plugs.

Sounds like you replaced just about everything.. Just on the off chance, how old is the battery? If it's an older model, would you have a chance to borrow someone's newer batter and try that on your bike? Though this might not be the fix, it's one more cheap inexpensive troubleshooting attempt that won't cost you a lot..

best of luck.. let us know what you discovered..

Cheers

And throws a nice Spark while uncontacting, which will eat up the Contact in no Time.

Thanks for the info, I corrected the original post just in case someone doesn't read any further.

Funny Thing is I was at my local Harley Davidson dealer today. I spend a lot of time there for some reason. Anyway I was on my Honda and several people were in the parking lot admiring my ride. I talked to a few for a while and when I went to go start my bike....NOTHING HAPPENED!

Had to get Ma-in-law to pick me up and take me home. I returned with can of WD40 sprayed the starter switch and it fired right up. I had washed it the day before and I guess I got water in the switch.

Few things are more embarassing than your Honda breaking down in the Harley Davidson parking lot.:confused24:

• 1 month later...

As it turns out it is the pickup coils. I had to order them they should be in next week and I can get back on the road. I had to take a break and get a divorce in order so I can move on while the bit$h moves out.

Happier days are here again, more miles and more smiles!!!!!!

done deal

Edited by HGWT