Has anyone used Castrol 20-50 motorcycle oil? It doesn't say anywhere on the bottle that its for wet clutch ,and it doesn't have an energy conservation stamp. Is it safe to use--or should I stay away? :confused24:

Since it's fairly warm most of the time where I live, I have used Castrol 20W50 in all of my motorcycles since 1980. I have since gone to synthetic in a couple of them, but seem to experience clutch slippage with synthetic. Anyway, I still have synthetic in my three V4s.

Anyway again, the regular Castrol 20W50 always worked fine for me.

I usually have only bought high mileage car and trucks, so I figure the bearings already have a slight bit more clearance than when new, so I like the 20W50.

I have used 20W50 in most of my cars and trucks until the last few years when I have been sticking with the 5W30 or 10W40 the manufacturers recommended.

I do all of my own mechanic work and have never seen any abnormally worn parts while using the Castrol. Never!

Needless to say, I like it.

Rusty

Edited by Beau-Kat

Of the five VR's I've owned since 1988, I have always used the Castrol GTX "Red Cap" 20/50 and have a combined mileage of 330,000 miles on Yamaha V4's. I have never had an engine failure or any kind of valve train damage. It makes my bike shift smooth, and has always given me excellent service. I do use a decent quality oil filter as well, and change the oil every time in the 3000 to 5000 range. It is a quality product, at a reasonable price. :thumbsup2:

Earl

Tried it because I use it in my cars but made my clutch slip with the car oil..

Did you use the same stuff we are talking about ?

Mine starting slipping as well but I believe it was due to the age and mileage on the clutch and not the oil.

Brad

I have used GTX in the past with good results, but without getting POLITICAL here Castrol is owned by BP and until they clean the gulf area up and make things right...I dont use it. If you like it use it, as long as it's not energy conserving your good.

I love castrol oil in all my cars and trucks...

But until my warranty runs out in 2012 I'm sticking with Yammalube...

As far as BP/Castrol is concerned, you couldn't ask for a better products.

I regularly put 200,000+ miles on vehicles. Superior products indeed. Changed at or about 3000 miles my vehicles do not burn a drop of oil...

I just refuse to support either middle east oil or Venezuala.

Hey Mike,

I too live in Pa. and have had real good luck buying the 20/50 Castrol at Advance Auto Parts. It is usually on sale every other month or so. I have also found it at my local Wally Mart. It needs to be the "Red Cap" (NO friction modifiers added)

Hope this helps,:thumbsup2:

Earl

I love castrol oil in all my cars and trucks...

But until my warranty runs out in 2012 I'm sticking with Yammalube...

As far as BP/Castrol is concerned, you couldn't ask for a better products.

I regularly put 200,000+ miles on vehicles. Superior products indeed. Changed at or about 3000 miles my vehicles do not burn a drop of oil...

I just refuse to support either middle east oil or Venezuala.

So as a new rider of the Venture, and still under warranty until 09/2012, should I be concerned about voiding the warranty if I use anything other than Yamalube? Sounds pretty strict...what are other warranty holders using?

Brian

Did you use the same stuff we are talking about ?

Mine starting slipping as well but I believe it was due to the age and mileage on the clutch and not the oil.

Brad

I was using the car oil Castrol 20W50 and my clutch slipped. I changed to Rotella and it took about 2 oil changes and the clutch stopped slipping. I sold the bike to my son and he is still riding. It was the oil. The Castrol Motorcycle oil will probably do well but the car oil made my clutch slip.

BigDawg,

Don't know for a fact that it will void your warrenty, but, I sure as heck am not gonna give the dealerships any ammo... If you know what I mean...

If it's motorcycle specific oil though, you'd 'thinK' the oil manfacturer would stand behind their product.

I just don't want to find out...

I was using the car oil Castrol 20W50 and my clutch slipped. I changed to Rotella and it took about 2 oil changes and the clutch stopped slipping. I sold the bike to my son and he is still riding. It was the oil. The Castrol Motorcycle oil will probably do well but the car oil made my clutch slip.

Thats what I use and my clutch don't slip.. Just ask my rear tire. Thats the one I keep changing.!!

Has anyone used Castrol 20-50 motorcycle oil? It doesn't say anywhere on the bottle that its for wet clutch ,and it doesn't have an energy conservation stamp. Is it safe to use--or should I stay away? :confused24:

I have been using Castor Oil Synthetic 10-40 in all my motorcycles for many many years with NO problem to date. Runs great and as far as I can tell there is no slipage of the clutch. I live in Florida so the specks call for the 10-40 weight. I also slip in 8 ozs. of "LUCAS" oil with every oil change on my bike. I am a big believer of LUCAS OIL. LUCAS oil calls for about 20% of the oil requirement be Lucas oil but I use 10% as my number to figure out how much to put in each vehicle. I use Lucas oil in all my vehicles. Lucas Oil has the ability to cling to all the moving parts in the engine and the pistons and etc. It's a little costly but I do believe that it really helps to keep oil on all moving parts therefore reducing wear on the engine. DanC :cool10: