IGNORED

A 4 day ride on our old bikes.... should I worry?

My wife wants to take a ride this summer that covers about 1000 miles. I think it's a great idea but worry about one thing. I'm riding a 1983 classic that not one motorcycle mechanic wants to touch at a dealership, and parts are impossible to come by outside of a motorcycle wreckers or ebay.

I already have trust issues with the bike after it blew out the TCI 2 years ago on a 200 mile ride and I am hesitant to trust her to take me 1000 miles without troubles. It's mostly the age, the fact that there are almost no real Motorcycle mechanics at dealerships anymore and the no parts thing. I calculated the worst case and a flatbed tow back home from 500 miles away is $2800.00!

Am I being a worry wart? or are my concerns for a long ride justified?

You shouldn't have any trouble with the 83, we have a lot of them running on here. I'm not sure what parts you are having issues getting. Lots of the parts are still available through Yamaha. Having the TCI go out 2 yrs ago isn't that bad since you are dealing with a bike that old. Hate to say it but parts do wear out. We have 83, 84, 86, 92 Ventures total of 7 of them. They all run too.

Margaret

I am taking my 85 to Cody this summer and thats about a 1200 mile round trip (i think) In 09 I had it to Kruisn the kootenays in nelson BC and went up to Kamloops BC and non stopped it 1000 miles home from there and the bike didnt miss a beat. I dont hesitate to take my 85 anywhere, but there has been good maintenance done on it on an ongoing basis, and I do keep a couple of parts with me that are a possible issue, like a spare tci, couple of sparkplugs,can of seafoam,Ride On in the tires, and a toolkit.

...BUT i wont mention the 08 trip down to VentureWest in California when I had a driveline snap just in front of the ujoint. But I made it home with friends from here and it wasnt really all that stressful if you keep a couple of things in mind.

Worst case scenario, you just go back home and get your cage, and rent a trailer from Uhaul (unless you have a Ford Explorer) for 20 bux a day, and go and haul it home. It really isnt the end of the world.

PLUS, when a bike breaks down you always get to meet some wonderful friends that you would not have gotten to know otherwise.

brian

Edited by friesman

I don't know the condtion of your bike but I know you have worked on it a lot. But it's hard to make a judgement like that on an unfamiliar bike.

But I'll tell ya about a car I used to own. I had bought '65 Ford Galaxy convertable with a 6 cyl and a 3 speed on the floor. I think I paid about $75.00 bucks for it back in '75. Nice looking car, and ran well. The only problem I had was the shifter linkage always worked loose and would lock up. Had that down to a science. Other than that...no real issues.

BUT......it being as $75.00 car and knowing the shifter was twitchy I was always afraid to wander too far from home. Missed out a lot of trips to meet with friends and didn't go on a couple of vacation runs I'd hoped to do because I was concerend about the car.

That told......I ended up selling the car to a friend from school for what I paid for it with a warning about the linkage. I ran into him a few years later and he still had the car. He had been to California with it twice, Washington State a couple of times and a handful of trips to Texas and even Mexico.

I saw him at our twenty year reunion. Yep. He still owned the car. Had it restored.

I offered him his $75.00 back. I think he's still laughing.

So all in all.....if you know the work you have done on the bike is solid, the parts you have on it have been checked and maintained under your hand..........GO FOR IT!!

If not you might miss out on a heck of ride. It's only a 1000 miles! I do that on a weekend on my '84.

Adventure ........ right?

:2cents:

Mike

I took my 84 on holidays, over 6800Km (4,000miles) trip with no mechanical problems. Of course I did price out a U-haul truck from the farthest expected point from home just in case. :rotf:

I too suffer from 'mechanics syndrome' -- every mechanic that I have know has questioned the reliability of their vehicle prior to a trip. They will go through the vehicle with a fine tooth comb before the trip. They will usually replace at least 1 good serviceable part just because it makes them feel better. Will usually give it a good mechanical check over daily while on the trip.

How do you avoid worrying about mechanical problems while on a trip? I haven't got a clue, but if you figure it out let me know.

If its good mechanical shape at time of departure It would be highly unlikely that you would have any problems.

:2cents:

AAh, Mini beat me to the punch!! These bikes are pretty bulletproof, but if you can get your hands on a spare YTCI just in case, that's a good thing. A lot of us 1st gen riders carry a spare just in case as it probably is the most prone to fail. Just make sure your tires are good and change the oil, you should be good to go.

PS while you are at it, grease your driveshaft where it goes into the U joint if you get a chance...

My wife wants to take a ride this summer that covers about 1000 miles. I think it's a great idea but worry about one thing. I'm riding a 1983 classic that not one motorcycle mechanic wants to touch at a dealership, and parts are impossible to come by outside of a motorcycle wreckers or ebay.

I already have trust issues with the bike after it blew out the TCI 2 years ago on a 200 mile ride and I am hesitant to trust her to take me 1000 miles without troubles. It's mostly the age, the fact that there are almost no real Motorcycle mechanics at dealerships anymore and the no parts thing. I calculated the worst case and a flatbed tow back home from 500 miles away is $2800.00!

Am I being a worry wart? or are my concerns for a long ride justified?

As long as the basics are covered you should have any problem, i.e. fresh tires and fluids. In '07 I rode my '83VR from Sacramento to Ft Collins Co. and back via Idaho, and she didn't miss a beat. Ended up putting 3,000+ miles on the odo. The first legs were mostly in a group, but the last day from Shoshone ID to the barn was solo, 10 hours in the saddle, 600 miles, and it was a piece of cake.

Tim,

I can only think of 2 options here, if your worried about your 1st gen's reliability, you really need to get another bike that gives you the warm fuzzy. There are definitely issues with any 20+ year old anything. If you have maintained it well and gone through it properly then I wouldn't hesitate to go. You have a touring bike for just that, touring. There are many on the VR assistance page that would help you out in a second. The 2nd option is get a newer bike :confused24:

Just like Snaggletooth mentioned....Adventure