IGNORED

Thinking about it!

dreamer55

We're seriously thinking about buying a 2005 Royal Star Venture. The bike has approx. 32,000 kms on it - one owner. Being fairly new to the bike scene.... are there any particular points that we should keep in mind when checking out the RSV more closely and coming to a decision? Thanks!

progress.gif edit.gif

Yah! Some of us have become very accustomed to the charactoristic George Jetson sound from the clutch. As long as the bike has been maintained it should last a very long time with little or no mechanical problems. The hardest part is deciding which chrome accessory to add next!

The best thing is to get on it and ride it to decide if it fits you. They are big, and a tad top heavy and can be a bit hard to maneuver at very low speeds, but the learning curve is quick for that. You will be hard pressed to find a more comfortable scoot.

Is the PO a member on this site??

While there are a lot of things I'd look for, there are only two major issues to check -

1. Make darn certain it does not have an engine (clutch basket) whine that you find objectionable. Note that the majority of these engines are NOT loud whiners, but a very few of them will make you wish you never bought it. If it does have a whine, it will be in a narrow RPM band, probably somewhere between 30-45 in 4th gear, but could be anywhere. This requires a good test ride where you carefully listen to the bike while holding the throttle fairly steady and gently changing engine speeds up and down.

2. Make certain there is NO (as in zero, none, zilch) oil on the bottom of the rear shock. That means not fresh oil or old oily road dirt. Any sign of oil down there at all, on the bottom of the shock or lower mounting bolt, means you will have to buy a very expensive replacement. If you see anything that looks like oil, do not believe any lies about normal blowback from the engine or vent tubes, etc. etc. etc. That shock will NEVER EVER show any oil unless it is bad. (Hmmm, wonder if I have said that enough?)

:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Edited by V7Goose
added more info on finding the engine whine

Guest tx2sturgis

I'd like to add to the shock inspection:

If the bike is cold and hasnt been ridden in a day or two, with the bike not running, sit on it and bounce up and down, if you hear ANY squeaking from the back end, that shock is starting to degrade. This can happen way before you actually see any oil on the shock boot.

It's not a good/bad certainty, but something to be wary of. A new shock on an out-of-warranty Royal Star is around $500, give or take ( aftermarket units are also pricey). If you hear that noise, or you see any oil on the shock boot, then try to get the seller to come down in price by that amount, at least.

Its not that hard to replace if it is in need of a new one.

We're seriously thinking about buying a 2005 Royal Star Venture. The bike has approx. 32,000 kms on it - one owner. Being fairly new to the bike scene.... are there any particular points that we should keep in mind when checking out the RSV more closely and coming to a decision? Thanks!

progress.gif edit.gif

Sounds like you may be doing some two-up riding. If you are new to the bike scene the Venture is a large heavy touring bike. It is great for riding two and outstanding on long trips. But be sure to get some practice with it first, especially in parking lots and such. It can be a handful for a newbie. Go ahead ask me how I know.

Mike

.... If you are new to the bike scene the Venture is a large heavy touring bike. It is great for riding two and outstanding on long trips. But be sure to get some practice with it first.....

Mike

Is this your first bike? If so, I hope you took the motorcycle training classes and I recommend the "Ride Like A Pro" DVD - shows you what a big bike can do with the proper practice.

As for the '05 you are looking at.... ask when the bike was originally purchased. The 5 year warranty starts from the original date of sale. You might have some warranty left.

And as has been mentioned, as with buying any vehicle try all the electronics, make sure the bike is the right fit for you, check maintenance records.... and then be confident that you are buying a great touring bike that is barely broken in !

I have 60000 + miles on my original shock, and it squeaked since day 1. I'm surprised its still good. Any other bike, I'm sure I would have had to replace the shocks after this many miles. I've never had such a low maintenance bike in the 45 years I've been riding.

Very helpful advice and much appreciated by us new to RSV folks. I recently test drove the 2002 RSV with 50,000 on it that I'll be picking up in a couple of weeks. It is at a great dealer that really encourages long test rides. I did 20 minutes solo and another 40 with the wife. It did have a bit of a subtle whine that I have read is common.

It was just barely noticeable to me, but it really depends on what you are used to.

When I asked the wife for her opinion, her only comment was that after riding many thousands of miles on the back of my Volusia with street rode cobra pipes, the Venture was very peaceful!

Good luck!