Ok last Friday I dumped the bike, I am fine just pissed my scoot isn't in mint condition anymore; although the scraps do add a bit of character. Anyway, I digress, is it normal for a raw gas smell and hard start after a tip over? I assume the answers to both are yes due to the balck magic of carbs.

I ask this because as soon as I could get the bike back up and on the center stand I fired her up to confirm there was no case damage. Initial start was fine but about 20 minutes later after a shutdown of a few minutes it took quite a while to start (suppose it was flooded). I did find out the tilt sensor works great though.

Anything else I should check before putting her back on the road? Thanks

Just put an eyeball on all your fluid levels to make sure they are good. If you have problems with a carb bowl tap on the side of it with the turning end of a screwdriver. Other than that you really didn't hurt anything. Make sure you test all your brakes out before you take off to insure there is good pressure on the calipers.

Hey Mike,

As far as the "Just Dumped My Bike Donation" goes, upper right hand corner of home page, "DONATE" Icon, Send VR.ORG $5.00 and all will be well. I wish I could say that I have NEVER dumped one, but I would be Lying! Our bikes do get a little "touchy" after a dump. If you have a Lead/Acid battery, have a look at the Electrolyte Level, If low, fill with distilled water. (Wally Mart, $.89 a gallon) Check the overflow bottle for the radiator as well. Watch for a slight seepage of oil at the shift shaft on the left side of the engine case. Sometimes when that old shift shaft seal takes a hit, (bent shifter) it becomes a "leaker". Usually, after a week or so, things will calm back down. I have seen a time or two, when a dump has stirred a bit of rust from the bottom of the gas tank, and caused the fuel filter to pick up a bit of rust particles, I like to replace the fuel filter in the spring, then cut it open and see what junk is coming from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. Check the front brake master cylinder and clutch master to make sure there is no weeping of brake fluid out of the vent hole, this will damage paint and plastic. These bikes have been known to "swallow" an air bubble in the clutch or brake master in the front when on their sides. Because of the location of the rear Master Cylinder, it's pretty tuff to get an air bubble back there. That's about all I can think of right now. Again, I am glad you were not injured any more than you were, I have the parts you asked about, when I am getting around a bit better, I will get those right to you. I truly believe that the most important thing is to "get back in the saddle" as soon as you can, if you want to continue to ride.

If you ride these bikes the way they were meant to be ridden, it's more a matter of

when" then "if". Because you and I have ridden together, (and we BOTH tend to ride a tad aggressively) this post was not so much a shock as it was just sad, because the plastic fairing parts are so hard to replace these days. Personally, every "scratch" on my VR tells a story, and reminds me I am still ALIVE. If I wanted to own, a "perfect" motorcycle to dress up a spot in my garage, I would own an Harley! (That's NEVER going to happen!) I love riding on the edge too much!:thumbsup2:

Earl

Thanks Earl,

As soon as you are up to it we can discuss the parts and modifications to my scoot; no rush at the moment. I am just gonna fix the clutch lever and ride it as is until spring. Then I will replace pieces and parts but PM me what the parts are worth and I will get payment to you. We will worry about shipping later.

cap'n eddie, donation made so get off my case already :cool10:

Thanks Earl,

As soon as you are up to it we can discuss the parts and modifications to my scoot; no rush at the moment. I am just gonna fix the clutch lever and ride it as is until spring. Then I will replace pieces and parts but PM me what the parts are worth and I will get payment to you. We will worry about shipping later.

Mike,

Don't know what you've done to yours yet, but one thing that I did with my 90 that I would advise you to do is to fix the slipping clutch these things are prone to having. I did mine with an extra spring plate and the full friction plate mod. Also Earl (Skydoc_17) sells a mod with an extra heavy spring plate. A heck of a deal! Look in the classfieds for his ad. Just to give you an idea. You would not believe the difference this makes in the bike as far as performance. No slipping at all even in the high gears.

Thanks Earl,

Mike i just thought that i would let you know that i also have made a donation before :whistling: so i know your pain. It hurts to see our bikes on their side. :bang head: when you get ready to do mods to your bike Earl has good deals on mods and parts. One of the best ones i did was the brake mod. Also i would do the clutch kit earl sells, great price and good parts.

Thanks for all the support guys; just another example of the great prople here.

As far as mods; Earl has visited me for my own personal MD back in October and we did a host of things to the bike.

Although I will probably switch out the clutch configuration to the Barnett due to how I like a clutch to feel but I am far from done :no-no-no:. More to come so stayed tuned.