• 1 month later...

Hey Rick,

How long were the sleeves you used?

Thanks for any info

Frank

I just went to Ace and got longer bolts and the longer sleeves that go over the bolts to move mine away from the fairing so I can split the fairing without taking the lights off. Cost me about 6 bucks

I just went to Ace and got longer bolts and the longer sleeves that go over the bolts to move mine away from the fairing so I can split the fairing without taking the lights off. Cost me about 6 bucks

Rick, what length bolts and spacer did you purchase? That sounds like a great idea!

Brian

Rick, what length bolts and spacer did you purchase? That sounds like a great idea!

Brian

Guys I really don't remember but I just got the bolts 1/2 inch longer and got the brass spacer/sleeves also 1/2 in longer. It moved them out just enough that I can slpit the fairing with out taking them off.

Supplier is Tony Dathan dathan@shaw.ca

I believe current price is $34 shipped to US, but you may want to check.

I have encouraged him to post to classifieds.

I believe those spacers not only move the light bar out but also down a bit. Maybe about 3/4 " Makes a huge difference in splitting the fairing.

larry

Unfortunately, he can't post them to the classifies because he never became a supporting member. I know that he does a good job on the spacers though.

Now, I'm not trying to change anybody's mind about these but just stating another side of the issue for those who are on the fence about the spacer. Some people, me being one of them, do not like it. I personally don't like the look as well when the lights are spaced out but even more importantly, I think that it increases the risk of breaking the brackets that hold the lower wind deflectors. The rubber bumpers on the deflectors should touch the fork tube covers. That stabilizes the deflectors so that the vibration caused by wind does not cause them to break so easily. A lot of those brackets do break eventually and I think that spacing them out so that the rubber bumper does not make contact makes the problem worse.

Just my opinion and the other side of the story. :)

Edited by Freebird

Unfortunately, he can't post them to the classifies because he never became a supporting member. I know that he does a good job on the spacers though.

Now, I'm not trying to change anybody's mind about these but just stating another side of the issue for those who are on the fence about the spacer. Some people, me being one of them, do not like it. I personally don't like the look as well when the lights are spaced out but even more importantly, I think that it increases the risk of breaking the brackets that hold the lower wind deflectors. The rubber bumpers on the deflectors should touch the fork tube covers. That stabilizes the the deflectors so that the vibration caused by wind does not cause them to break so easily. A lot of those brackets to break eventually and I think that spacing them out so that the rubber bumper does not make contact makes the problem worse.

Just my opinion and the other side of the story. :)

I'm with you on this one Don. It's not a big deal to loosen two bolts and I decided that I didn't like the looks of the driving lights out ahead of the headlight.

Guest scarylarry
I'm with you on this one Don. It's not a big deal to loosen two bolts and I decided that I didn't like the looks of the driving lights out ahead of the headlight.

I agree also, I wish I could drink beer as fast I could remove them 2 bolts

I have one of the brackets and took it off after I had to make a emerg stop in Florida with both brakes on hard and my light bar came down and hit my front fender on the top. So I remove it .It was a very hard stop that cause this but just wanted to let you all know. It was a great looking bracket but did not work for me. Hope this helps

Just my 2 cents