IGNORED

1st gen antenna ??

Is there an adapter that mates a firestickII antenna to the stock 1st gen set up. The firestick antennas have a male stud attachment and so does the antenna mount on the bike........I dont want to do the marshal mod but would love to fix my stock setup. Either that or find a new to me antenna . The top part of mine broke off just above the large round pice where you do the adjustments for the cb section.

Thanks in advance

David

If I understand what broke on your antennas then all you have to do is find another piece of stainless steel antenna that fits inside the load coil. Radio Shack use to have a piece you could buy.

My memory is not so good but I believe the length of the original to be about 18 and a half inches or so.

Easy fix though,

BOO

hey boo I did the search before I posted this..........guess i should have stated that sorry........radio shack doesnt sell that anymore I called them. They actually dont sell anything related to antennas ecept the cable. I looked on the firestik website and they sell a 3/8x 24 thread coupleing nut so I think ill head over to the local hardware store and buy one . Cheap enough if it works. Im not sure of the thread on the 1st gen antenna mount. If it screws on Ill buy a 4ft firestick and spring mount , then go to the local cb shop to have the swr set. Local cb shop also said the could put me a new end on my original cable and then I could buy a mount setup to make the firestik work.........so there is options I was just wanting to see what the group thought.

David

Edited by painterman67

hey boo I did the search before I posted this..........guess i should have stated that sorry........radio shack doesnt sell that anymore I called them. They actually dont sell anything related to antennas ecept the cable. I looked on the firestik website and they sell a 3/8x 24 thread coupleing nut so I think ill head over to the local hardware store and buy one . Cheap enough if it works. Im not sure of the thread on the 1st gen antenna mount. If it screws on Ill buy a 4ft firestick and spring mount , then go to the local cb shop to have the swr set. Local cb shop also said the could put me a new end on my original cable and then I could buy a mount setup to make the firestik work.........so there is options I was just wanting to see what the group thought.

David

Truck stop, find a local truck stop with a CB shop and they can fix you up, and like said befor you can get the SWR set

hey boo I did the search before I posted this..........guess i should have stated that sorry........radio shack doesnt sell that anymore I called them. They actually dont sell anything related to antennas ecept the cable. I looked on the Forest website and they sell a 3/8x 24 thread coupleing nut so I think ill head over to the local hardware store and buy one . Cheap enough if it works. Im not sure of the thread on the 1st gen antenna mount. If it screws on Ill buy a 4ft firestick and spring mount , then go to the local cb shop to have the swr set. Local cb shop also said the could put me a new end on my original cable and then I could buy a mount setup to make the firestik work.........so there is options I was just wanting to see what the group thought.

David

Still not sure what you are talking about for parts but there is no 24 threads on that antenna I don't think.

I had a 1st gen antenna on my 2nd for a while before buying one and I remember having my machinist son make me a stud for the base of the antenna that was metric one end and 24 on the other, if that is what you are looking for I will see if I see have it.

BOO

Still not sure what you are talking about for parts but there is no 24 threads on that antenna I don't think.

I had a 1st gen antenna on my 2nd for a while before buying one and I remember having my machinist son make me a stud for the base of the antenna that was metric one end and 24 on the other, if that is what you are looking for I will see if I see have it.

BOO

yes Boo that is ecaxtly what i was talking about. I got the nut i was talking about and it didnt work. The firestick is 3/8x 24 thread.and they only come in a male stud configuration.I wasnt sure what thread was on my first gen stud. I need a coupling nut that goes from 3/8x24 thread on the firestik to what ever the thread is on the original male stud already on the bike. If yoou have it Ill be glad to buy it and pay for shipping if you want to get rid of it.

Thanks Im stioll trying to get it together.

David

Here is what I used. cut the cable as close to the antenna as possible than pull up some slack. The pictures will show you the the repair bracket I used and it is available at most major truck stops. The end result is a base that will fit any 3/8 X 24 threaded antenna and requires no terminals. You can also add a tilt base connector as shown in the last pics if you wish. Make sure you adjust the SWR when done.

Note ! the antenna I used is a wilson 2 ft fiberglass with tunable tip.The free wire you see wrapped around the base is part of the antenna and can be used for improved grounding if needed. Using it is optional.

Here is a link to the Valor base I used http://www.truckers-store.com/store-products-142hd-Valor-Heavy-Duty-%283-8-x-24%29-Thread-Surface-Mount-With-Lug-Stud_40671758.html

Edited by saddlebum

Its kind of hard to explain but its all done in the black part below the bracket. The insulation is stripped back as it is inserted into the black base the center wire is laid along one internal groove and the braided part is twisted then laid along another internal groove. As piece's are tightened together by the bolt at the bottom to secure the base and bracket and antenna the wires become clamped in place the braided part contacts ground and the center wire contacts the antenna. The instructions come with the part and it is a lot easier then it sounds.

Look at their Antenna Mount, Model 901104. You will see the Stud mounted on it.

On top it has a 3/8 by 24 thread Stud. Your Antenna fits into that.

Top of stud, is 3/8 by 24 thread, and the bottom is a standard PL-259, UHF type conector. ( female )

You will also have to install a new connector on the End of your Coaxial Cable.

It is a UHF type, PL-259, Standard Coaxial conector. ( male )

---- Radio Shack P/N 278-205.

( these are avialable from many suppliers. )

Also the above mentioned Stud in the RS Antenna mount is avialable from many suppliers.

Check Tower Electronics also. they supply all types of Antenna connectors.

http://www.pl-259.com/catalog.html

See page 5, " antenna mounts and adapters "

Scroll down to picture wit Six Typs of studs on one photo.

You want 5th item from the left, labled "" rigth angle stud with SO-239, 3/8 x 24 thread "

You could also use the 2nd or 3rd item or even the last item on far right. but that would be overkill as far as strength.

And you will also have to install as I said above a NEW, PL-259 connector on end of your cable. ( ie: soldering iron needed, rosin core solder, and some skill )

You can get the connector from Tower, also.

Here is what I used. cut the cable as close to the antenna as possible than pull up some slack. The pictures will show you the the repair bracket I used and it is available at most major truck stops. The end result is a base that will fit any 3/8 X 24 threaded antenna and requires no terminals. You can also add a tilt base connector as shown in the last pics if you wish. Make sure you adjust the SWR when done.

Note ! the antenna I used is a wilson 2 ft fiberglass with tunable tip.The free wire you see wrapped around the base is part of the antenna and can be used for improved grounding if needed. Using it is optional.

Here is a link to the Valor base I used http://www.truckers-store.com/store-products-142hd-Valor-Heavy-Duty-%283-8-x-24%29-Thread-Surface-Mount-With-Lug-Stud_40671758.html

Looks simple, but how do you set the SWR without the PL-259 connector? all the swr meters come with pl-259 connectors. Thanks

Looks simple, but how do you set the SWR without the PL-259 connector? all the swr meters come with pl-259 connectors. Thanks
You disconnect the cable from CB and connect your SWR meter to the CB antenna connection with a jumper then connect the CB cable to SWR ant in, you never do it at the antenna. If you have a multiplex box which is in the right side fairing there is an adjusting screw on it to adjust the swr but I would work the adjustment on the antenna 1st. You can always fine tune at the multiplex box if needed. Edited by saddlebum