IGNORED

My GPS, Ham Radio, LED interface project

I have been using bluetooth headsets for operation of my Yeasu ham radio for about a year. It worked very well but I could not use the same headset with all of the onboard electronics. If I was going to need intercom and CB, I had to switch to a wired system. I got tired of changing headsets on my helmet and decided to integrate all the electronics into one system. Since this upgrade is fairly extensive and will require a lot of disassembly of the bike, I decided to complete a couple other upgrades at the same time.

Here are the planned upgrades:

1. Upgrade/replace antennas for CB and Ham Radio

2. Install antenna ground plane to improve antenna operation

3. Install interface for GPS with bluetooth phone and Ham Radio into existing audio system

4. Install fuse block to clean up electrical connections

5. Install LEDs on front half of bike to compliment rear half lighting

6. Install auxiliary LED turn signals for visibility from the sides and off angle

I have been collecting the required items for some time. Here is a photo of the interface from Kennedy Technology Group, Inc.

http://gallery.me.com/k1oj/100179/IMG_1983/web.jpg?ver=12959141270001/

The antennas and ground plane are out in the garage.

I have about 2 weeks to complete this project before I need to use the radio.

I will attempt to document this process as I progress.

Sounds pretty cool Owen, document w/pics..oh and what ever you do, Don`t let the "Blue" smoke out!! You need it so that all works correctly.

I have been using bluetooth headsets for operation of my Yeasu ham radio for about a year. It worked very well but I could not use the same headset with all of the onboard electronics. If I was going to need intercom and CB, I had to switch to a wired system. I got tired of changing headsets on my helmet and decided to integrate all the electronics into one system. Since this upgrade is fairly extensive and will require a lot of disassembly of the bike, I decided to complete a couple other upgrades at the same time.

Here are the planned upgrades:

1. Upgrade/replace antennas for CB and Ham Radio

2. Install antenna ground plane to improve antenna operation

3. Install interface for GPS with bluetooth phone and Ham Radio into existing audio system

4. Install fuse block to clean up electrical connections

5. Install LEDs on front half of bike to compliment rear half lighting

6. Install auxiliary LED turn signals for visibility from the sides and off angle

I have been collecting the required items for some time. Here is a photo of the interface from Kennedy Technology Group, Inc.

http://gallery.me.com/k1oj/100179/IMG_1983/web.jpg?ver=12959141270001/

The antennas and ground plane are out in the garage.

I have about 2 weeks to complete this project before I need to use the radio.

I will attempt to document this process as I progress.

Just wondering what you are using for the ground plane and were on the bike are you going to put it . I use to be a ham operator also. I was 2 meter

:confused07:

I will use copper plate under the trunk electrically connected to the metal frame.

Wow! Sounds like it is going to be a nice upgrade. I can't wait to follow your progress as soon as you can get started. Let us know what kind of rig you plan to install with bluetooth capability.

Good Luck and have fun with the installation.

Will installing an antenna ground plane improve the factory CB antenna and/or the AM/FM antenna performance?

I am not a HAM so I am only concerned about the CB and AM/FM.

WOW it looks like you have a pile of cool parts to install.... As a technology junkie, I am jealous.

The AM/FM is what it is,,, only a good pre-amp may help there.

The main causes for poor performance with 27MHz (CB) antenna

Poor ground plane

You need a suitable ground plane at least the length of the antenna as the radius of the ground plane in area. The copper plate wouldn't work here, not practical.

A good electrical ground is the best you can hope for on a bike.....

Bad SWR

All antennas need to be tested and if needed tuned

Antenna too short

The longer the antenna the better the performance - in many aspects

This is often the main cause for poor performance with 27MHz

Antenna too low

Antennas need to be as high as possible - especially 27MHz

Antenna to close

Antennas will simply not work if they are running up along any metal object such as headlights, bull bars or brick walls ( just info: unless you have a head ache rack or wall on the bike, ;) )

The ground plane or active counterpoise will not effect your am/fm. Any ground plane needs to be some multiple of 1/4 wave length to be of any use. That would be about 108 inches for cb. The best antennas for cb on a bike are half wave loaded in the center. That is the ones with the coil in the center. Those use the lower half of the antenna as the ground plane. My intention is to supply a better ground plane for the ham stuff. That would be 19 inches for 2 meters and about 9 1/2 inches for 440 mhz.

Will installing an antenna ground plane improve the factory CB antenna and/or the AM/FM antenna performance?

I am not a HAM so I am only concerned about the CB and AM/FM.

WOW it looks like you have a pile of cool parts to install.... As a technology junkie, I am jealous.

The ground plane or active counterpoise will not effect your am/fm. Any ground plane needs to be some multiple of 1/4 wave length to be of any use. That would be about 108 inches for cb. The best antennas for cb on a bike are half wave loaded in the center. That is the ones with the coil in the center. Those use the lower half of the antenna as the ground plane. My intention is to supply a better ground plane for the ham stuff. That would be 19 inches for 2 meters and about 9 1/2 inches for 440 mhz.

I had one of those too but the wheels fell off..

I now know what it's like being in a foreign country and not knowing the local language.. ;)

Oddly enough, a lot of people are following this thread who have not a schmick of what the heck you guys are saying but it's all fascinating..

I just want to see the end result!! =)

best of luck!

I had one of those too but the wheels fell off..

I now know what it's like being in a foreign country and not knowing the local language.. ;)

Oddly enough, a lot of people are following this thread who have not a schmick of what the heck you guys are saying but it's all fascinating..

I just want to see the end result!! =)

best of luck!

That's OK, two way radio communications is one of my strong suits and I've been keeping an eye on these guys to make sure there is no bad information given out.

Of course as I get older my stronger suits keep getting weaker and weaker. I learned about these things when we were still using tubes but all the basic information remains the same.

BUT this project is very interesting, probably not one I would do myself but I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I had a two meter radio on my bike for years, another Ham I knew also had two meters so we talked to each other and the range is much farther than 11 meters on the bikes.

I met a guy in Rhode Island that was running an Hf Radio with a 500 watt amplifier and a 1200 watt generator in the trailer he was pulling. Sort of interesting. Goldwing of course. Now if he just had a morse code key mounted somewhere on the bike====would that be texting while riding? hummmm.

Anyway great project.

BOO W9FE

dit dah, dit dad dit

Had some time today to start the project. Everything torn down and starting to install the parts... PHOTOS

http://gallery.me.com/k1oj/100179/IMG_2008/web.jpg?ver=12960808990001

http://gallery.me.com/k1oj/100179/IMG_2007/web.jpg?ver=12960808910001

Edited by Owen

Thanks Owen...I have thought about getting that bib...but it's awfully pricey. Does it work well for you? Would love to see some hi-res images of it on your bike. You can PM me if you prefer...sorry to hijack the thread.

Now back to our regularly scheduled POSTING. :-)

Here is the Kennedy Technology Group's CellSet. This is the unit responsible for handling cell phone, MP3, and GPS audio input and output. There are internal switches for setting mic levels for phone and audio ground isolation jumpers. The second photo is with the wiring connected. These wiring harnesses are specific to the Venture and Zumo GPS.

http://gallery.me.com/k1oj/100179/IMG_2010/web.jpg?ver=12960853540001

http://gallery.me.com/k1oj/100179/IMG_2011/web.jpg?ver=12960853370001

This is Kennedy Technology Group's FRSet4. This unit handles all the Ham Radio input and output audio and keys the transmitter. It has internal settings for radio type and also input and output audio levels. It is pretty much universal as far as radio equipment. You can use many different GMRS, FRS, CB, and Ham radios. Not all radio wiring harnesses are available, but, you can easily roll your own. These cable harnesses are specific to the Venture and my Yaesu FTM-10 transceiver.

http://gallery.me.com/k1oj/100179/IMG_2012/web.jpg?ver=12960890630001

http://gallery.me.com/k1oj/100179/IMG_2013/web.jpg?ver=12960890700001