IGNORED

GPS Audio ?

Norm

I have been considering a GPS. I have read a number of threads this past year with various opinions as to what model to get. For budget reasons and because the boss isn't sure I need one I am looking at the lower priced ones. My question for those who have the lower priced ones is the audio loud enough to hear voice commands from the internal speaker or do you have a way to run it through the intercom? I run my MP3 player through the aux. jack by the cassette player. Your input is appreciated.

Norm

I have been considering a GPS. I have read a number of threads this past year with various opinions as to what model to get. For budget reasons and because the boss isn't sure I need one I am looking at the lower priced ones. My question for those who have the lower priced ones is the audio loud enough to hear voice commands from the internal speaker or do you have a way to run it through the intercom? I run my MP3 player through the aux. jack by the cassette player. Your input is appreciated.

Norm

I just ordered an adapter cable from Bubby Rich that will allow me to plug my Garmin c550 Streetpilot GPS into the aux port. It includes an MP3 player and has bluetooth phone capabilities. I haven't installed it yet. It's gonna be interesting.... :)

I might also add that the c550 has been discontinued by Garmin, but still available on Ebay. I have two of them. The last one cost me $65 bucks. Here's a link to the SPECS It the best bang for the buck in a GPS.

Edited by Condor

I prefer not to have the GPS audio at all.

I know many do it but I do not and I even keep the self contained GPS audio turned down so I cannot hear it.

I glance at it once in a while, just like I glance at my mirrors to see when my next turn will be. The screen always reads "next turn xx miles right or left"

I choose to do this cause I occasionally see something and take off in that direction to explore...then the audio drives me nuts with "Recalulating" "Recalculating" everytime you turn on a road that is not on your route and does this till you get back on track. Now you are looking for your next turn while trying to turn down the volume of this strange woman telling you that you messed up. When you are finished exploring...just look that the screen to see how far till your next turn to get you back on the path.

If I made a mistake and took the wrong turn, I do not need to add to the confusion of some lady I do not even know telling me that she is having to recalculating the route and repeating it constantly. The wife can tell I took a wrong turn if she wants to, but that other lady in the GPS box needs to shut the hell up.

I can see the screen and get back on track rather quickly if I want...or not.

During all this the Mp3 player, XM or FM never interupted during this time...

Works great for me. Try it without it and I think you will like it. Maybe a little less stress on you while in traffic up to your neck.

I use the same GPS in the car or Truck without GPS volume and make it just fine.

Hi Norm:

As Aharbi said the nuvi 500 or 550 is a good choice, but I don't think either of them has an output jack so that you can tie it into the Venture's sound system. We have a nuvi 500, and have used it for on-road navigation, geocaching, and off-road (hunting) use. Very versatile. Probably not the BEST for any of the above, but good for all the above. We don't have it mounted on the bike. We almost always ride two-up, and Denise is in charge of the Garmin. Keeps it in the pouch on the back of my backrest, and pulls it out when we need to check it. I sometimes can hear it talking behind me, but usually can't tell what she said. Denise relays thru the intercom.

Cmike has a point about not needing the sound on at all, especially when you are in a more rural setting, but if you get in a busier area with more corner options and traffic, it's nice to hear it telling you to turn soon, and at what street. In the cage, I prefer to see and hear it, on the bike, I like Denise having it so she can push thte buttons, and I can have hands free for the bike, and eyes on the road.

Good luck with your search. Larry

Hey Norm,

I have the Garmin Nuvi 855 and it has a feature where it sends a signal to the FM radio on my bike. The MP3 player in the Nuvi can be heard thru the speakers on the bike as well as the voice commands for turns, etc. There is no "hard wire" connections required, I simply tune my FM radio to a station that has no FM music coming from it, plug the FM station number into the Nuvi, and go for a ride. If the station picks up a broadcast, I simply change the station, and I am good to go. I purchased a refurbished unit off of Ebay for $180.00 2 years ago. (now around $100.00) I bought a few expansion cards to load different types of "mood music" on and can basically listen to anything I want, for as long as I want. Each mini SD card holds over 1000 songs. I found the "no cable hook up" feature really cool. I use the same GPS in my car and truck the same way, tune in an FM station, adjust the GPS, and listen to the music I want. You can also "mute" the verbal driving commands without loosing the ability to listen to the music on the MP3 player.

Just another option to consider when selecting a GPS.

Earl

NUVI 855 MOUNTED.jpg

MOUNT COMPLETED.jpg