IGNORED

Differences in RSV's?

DarkWolf

I have not yet purchased an RSV. I saw the first one that I think I have ever seen last Saturday. But they interest me, and I have been doing some research on here and looking at a lot of pictures. So I have some questions.

1. Do all the RSV's come with driving lights - those two lights on either side of the headlight? Some have them and some do not. The one I saw also had visors over the driving lights. Are these lights add-on accessories?

2. I have noticed a difference in the passenger backrests as well. The one I saw had a very nice passenger backrest with arms on it for the passenger to lean back and relax. But I notice a lot of them do not have this. So is this particular type of back rest another add-on, or was it peculiar to certain model years?

3. The particular model I saw also had a light bar/air foil on top of the top box on the back. I presume that that IS an add-on.

4. I have read that RSV's have 12 volt accessory outlets for heated vests, for example. But the 2004 model I saw did not have any outlets. So what is going on here? Can some one answer these questions?

I have not yet purchased an RSV. I saw the first one that I think I have ever seen last Saturday. But they interest me, and I have been doing some research on here and looking at a lot of pictures. So I have some questions.

1. Do all the RSV's come with driving lights - those two lights on either side of the headlight? Some have them and some do not. The one I saw also had visors over the driving lights. Are these lights add-on accessories?

These are add on accessories. Highly recommended to improve vision and visibility.

2. I have noticed a difference in the passenger backrests as well. The one I saw had a very nice passenger backrest with arms on it for the passenger to lean back and relax. But I notice a lot of them do not have this. So is this particular type of back rest another add-on, or was it peculiar to certain model years?

It sounds like you are describing the standard passenger backrest. This is an immensely comfortable bike for your passenger. None better.

3. The particular model I saw also had a light bar/air foil on top of the top box on the back. I presume that that IS an add-on.

That is an add on. Additional rear lighting is also recommended to improve visibility.

4. I have read that RSV's have 12 volt accessory outlets for heated vests, for example. But the 2004 model I saw did not have any outlets. So what is going on here? Can some one answer these questions?

There is an outlet in the front faring on the left (clutch) side. It is on the lower part of the faring, so it you aren't specifically looking for it, you could easily overlook it. There is also an additional accessory outlet with an odd connector under the seat.

Welcome to the forum. This is a great bike that will provide you many years of fun. Let us know what other questions we can answer

RR

Welcome to the forum. I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

The driving lights are not standard with the bike, nor are the visors. Those are accessories.

The backrest in your picture is also an aftermarket backrest made by Corbin. Most people who have them really like them.

Good luck, and let us know when you buy your Venture.

Joe

The bike on the right is standard off the showroom floor - the bike on the left has an after market backrest installed. I think many of the guys here go with either DiamondR Accessories or the Utopia backrest. Does that help?

Victor,

I believe you are mistaken....neither picture is stock off the showroom floor. The driving lights, the visors, the Corbin passenger backrest, and the Corbin driver backrest are all accessories.

Joe

Welcome to the forum. I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

The driving lights are not standard with the bike, nor are the visors. Those are accessories.

The backrest in your picture is also an aftermarket backrest made by Corbin. Most people who have them really like them.

Good luck, and let us know when you buy your Venture.

Joe

Which backrest is by Corbin? The right or the left? One man says the one on the right is standard. My wife would much rather prefer the one on the right because of the arm rests. So which is which?

I thank you for that helpful information, but you did not answer the backrest question sufficiently. I am going to attach a couple of pictures below and hope you can see them. Please tell me which is standard and which is not.

Darkwolf,

The Left one has an after market “DRIVERS” back rest

Right one has an after market “Passenger” back rest

Left pictured bike has the following noticeable "added" accessories:

• Kuyakyn driver foot pegs
  • Rear side bag guard rails
  • Chrome side covers under drivers seat
  • Chrome carb covers under gas tank
  • Chrome choke knob
  • Chrome Domes on front turn signals, drivers lights and on head light
  • drivers lights and bar
  • Chrome rear trunk rack
  • Chrome front fender rail guard
  • Chrome engine breather covers
  • Windshield with elongated closeable vent (looks like Gold wing type)

The right pictured bike has the following added accessories;

• Rear passenger back rest
  • Chrome dome covers on front turn signals, driver lights and head light
  • drivers lights and bar
  • Chrome front fender guard rail
  • “Possible” chrome front dics caliper covers (not sure, cant really tell)
  • Pretty much a standard "Venture"

Now THAT was helpful. Thank you. These people want $11,750 for the white 2004 RSV on the right with 35K miles. I am thinking I may pay 10K. Does that sound like a fair price? The mileage is high for this year, but they do have a few hundred dollars in farkles on it, including an air foil light bar on the back.

Now hold on a cotton pickin minute....the one on the left is MY bike!!!!:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

No chrome choke knob there Eck, sorry. But you sure can send me one since the bike is allegedly betrothed to you and you will eventually receive it back.:whistling::whistling:

Also, the riders seat is from Hartco and the passenger seat as well as the passenger backrest is stock but recovered by Hartco.

Where ya from in Florida anyway??

I am in St. Petersburg. I just picked out a bike with a backrest I have seen on here a lot and wanted to know the difference between it and the one on the white bike on the right. So YOU are saying that your bike - the one on the left - has a stock seat and passenger backrest? That is what I thought, if you are correct, but I am getting a lot of different answers here.

Stock passenger seat and passenger backrest. The front seat is a Hartco product as well as the backrest for the rider. Also, my wife sure has no problems without the arm rests as she falls asleep back there on a regular basis and hasnt fallen off yet.

I finally have an answer. Both are after-market backrests, and the one on the right is a Corbin. To me that is the preferred one.

You would think so, but my wife made me put a OEM back on, because she said the arm rests were restrictive and hot & sticky in the summer. My son who is 10 hates it to.

Now hold on a cotton pickin minute....the one on the left is MY bike!!!!:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

WOW Ruffrider, I didnt know that was your bike..(my future) Bike..

But if you sell that beautiful bike, dont forget to pass on my benificiary paperwork to the new owner....!!:whistling:

No chrome choke knob there Eck, sorry. But you sure can send me one since the bike is allegedly betrothed to you and you will eventually receive it back.:whistling::whistling:

Well, it appeard to have one in the photo, but hey, I will have to check to see if I have one for ya...ha

Guest KitCarson

It took me awhile to realize this myself, but the Venture is the best one out there, not just for the price, but comfort, dependability, all that stuff. You will hear a lot of us discuss things about many things, do not let that put you off, for instance the rear brakes.....hey the bottom line is rear brakes on all motorcycles are a little touchy. So some of the things we say, throw some salt over your shoulder. The venture is a great machine, the best out there over all.

My 2007 does not have the electrical connection that is supposed to be under the left side of the seat either. I looked at that, took the seat off.....peered down to see if it was on the harness but never installed........simply is not there!!

Running lights on the front, do you really want them? It is illegal in some states to have the running lights on when the headlight is on high.........so if you run a modulator, then you do not need them, unless you run at night.

All the variations.......all of us customize the bikes....add this or that.......to see a stock bike, go to the yamaha web site and you can see the stock photos, and all the specs on the bike.

The Venture is a great bike.....you would love it.

Kit

It took me awhile to realize this myself, but the Venture is the best one out there, not just for the price, but comfort, dependability, all that stuff. You will hear a lot of us discuss things about many things, do not let that put you off, for instance the rear brakes.....hey the bottom line is rear brakes on all motorcycles are a little touchy. So some of the things we say, throw some salt over your shoulder. The venture is a great machine, the best out there over all.

My 2007 does not have the electrical connection that is supposed to be under the left side of the seat either. I looked at that, took the seat off.....peered down to see if it was on the harness but never installed........simply is not there!!

Running lights on the front, do you really want them? It is illegal in some states to have the running lights on when the headlight is on high.........so if you run a modulator, then you do not need them, unless you run at night.

All the variations.......all of us customize the bikes....add this or that.......to see a stock bike, go to the yamaha web site and you can see the stock photos, and all the specs on the bike.

The Venture is a great bike.....you would love it.

Kit

Kit, the electrical connection is under the seat, but just not a connection you are used to seeing. I have yet to figure out what kind appliance attaches to it. :rotf:

Guest KitCarson
Kit, the electrical connection is under the seat, but just not a connection you are used to seeing. I have yet to figure out what kind appliance attaches to it. :rotf:

I am quite sure the toaster does not plug in..........you sure? I will look again!! I saw a couple bikes with what appears to be a receptacle similar to a cell phone plug in or cigarette lighter........I do wear bi-focals now!! May have to clean them up!! See ya.........Kit

Guest KitCarson
I am quite sure the toaster does not plug in..........you sure? I will look again!! I saw a couple bikes with what appears to be a receptacle similar to a cell phone plug in or cigarette lighter........I do wear bi-focals now!! May have to clean them up!! See ya.........Kit
Okay George....I owe you a steak dinner. My owners manual, the little one that says this is a Bike, it has two wheels, put in oil here!! Shows a power receptacle but I could not find it. What I have found is taped up in the wiring harness, hidden was a small white double pin type plug in receptor.It has two rubber plugs in it. I assume this is the power plug in. Also on the left rear of the lower assembly fairing between the seat and fender is a plastic section that has a knock out plug there. I assume I must get from the dealer the proper adapter and run a wire to a standard power receptacle and place it in that knock out hole. Yes I think I found it, it was taped into the harness. I may or may not.....would never use it..if it gets too cold to ride in a snowmobile suit and mittens..I am staying home.!!! Kit