Guest scarylarry

Best helmet I ever wore was the one that fit in the saddle bag...

Only half helmet I owned was a scorpion and I hated it, was very uncomfortable, I use a 3/4 now when I have too, I like the headset better in a 3/4..IMHO

I bought HJC Trooper style a few years back. Now it's my favorite bucket. Great fit, removable liner, removable ear flaps and a snap on bill. The venting actualy seems to work pretty well and keeps my noggin cool on the hottest of days.

I never cared for 1/2 helmets until I bought that one. I'll replace it with another of the same style when the time comes.

The pic is of the next newer model (without vents).

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

Whats a good half helmet to buy? One that you don't sweat in when it's 80 degrees, also has a nice bill on it..Thanks :confused24:

This is what I bought last summer and it has served me well. Since the weather cooled off I have started using the curtain. It also has ear pockets in it to which I have installed an IMC mic and speaker. Works great and not a lot of money. When the weather warms back up I'll just zip off the intercom system and go without it and turn up the radio. WOOO-HOOOO!!

A few years ago when I needed a new helmet I read every mag test article I could find. Finally bought a Nolan 100E full face flip. It rated right up there with some of the pricy lids in performance and protection, wasn't cheap, but no where near the price of a high end Arai, Shoei, etc. I now own 3 of them... ya gotta match the bike color ya know... :)

I have a Bell Apex full face helmet. I love it, good ventting. I'm not a beliver in the half helmets. I think that if you go down it wont save your face from getting road rash.

Pic of my last helmet on here somewhere. I won't wear a 1/2 helmet. I can't remember a time when I went down that my head didn't smack something....

For the last couple of years, I have been trying on every half helmet in every shop I go in that sells them, and I finally found one that actually feels good and fits well.

I've worn it all summer and like it very much. as far as ventilation, it's not perfect, but not bad. A keeper as far as I'm concerned. And the zip on attachment that will cover your ears works well and does the job. (in cold weather)

It's a Nolan.

Steve

I have a Scorpio half helmet, which is extremely comfortable. It has the drop down sun visor that stores inside the helmet. Very tidy. However, the Yamaha headset is a very tight fit in the ear pieces, and gets uncomfortable after a while. I also had a tough time fitting the mike onto the helmet, resorting to Velcro, which did work OK.

I have just ordered a couple of HJC 3/4 helmets, which feel good and look as if they will accommodate the head-sets nicely... including the mikes.

Different manufacturers seem to use different shaped heads when designing their helmets, so my advice is to try them on until you find something that feels and looks good to you!

The hardest part about finding a good helmet is finding the one shop or store that actually has a huge inventory on the shelves to try on. I can appreciate the reason why they can only carry a select stock and special order the others in..

I had reconstructive surgery a couple of years ago which now makes it nearly impossible to find a full face composite helmet that will close properly, or a full face one that I can wear safely. So I'm stuck with half or 3/4 helmets. Every time I go into the USA I try to find that shop with a huge selection but all I find are the same helmets one shop to another.. And the shops around here have to charge a cover fee to order so many helmets in for me to try..

Oh well.. the search continues..