IGNORED

Which LED Signal LIghts?

Hi guys, anyone here using LED signal lights on the RSV? I've seen some on other bikes and didn't think they were brighter or near as bright as the OEM incandescent bulbs.

If you have LED signal lights on your bike, and believe they are as bright if not brighter than the OEM lights, AND remember the URL to where to find these lights, could you please drop me a line?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

I had a lighting guy, that sets up at a local flea market on Saturdays, put run/turn/brake red LED's on my RSTD and my Venture. (For midlands SC locals, thats Mike Crider, Light-em-up) He prefers using "Signal Dynamics" but also may use Custom Dynamics and Badlands products.

Requires a module for the functions, and yes, also need a load equalizer. Requires more hard wiring than "plug & play" bikes like Harleys.

I also replaced the central brake light with the Custom Dynamics 100 LED, no module needed.

End result is REALLY BRIGHT red tail lights thru the clear lenses. If you stare at them at night in the driveway, you will be blinking red dots for a while.

My wife followed me on a trip once and was stunned by the lack of visability of the stock rear lights. Not now.

(PS: the turn unit lights themselves are a round cluster of LED's on a silver dollar sized board with a wired plug-in. Not bulb looking.)

I have been wondering the same thing.....these look interesting on this site.

Keith

http://canadiancruisercustomizing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=10

erhm no, not these, I bought these and though they "can" be used, they need to be modified and too much hassling to be effectively used.. Their other products are great though..

I had a lighting guy, that sets up at a local flea market on Saturdays, put run/turn/brake red LED's on my RSTD and my Venture. (For midlands SC locals, thats Mike Crider, Light-em-up) He prefers using "Signal Dynamics" but also may use Custom Dynamics and Badlands products.

Requires a module for the functions, and yes, also need a load equalizer. Requires more hard wiring than "plug & play" bikes like Harleys.

I also replaced the central brake light with the Custom Dynamics 100 LED, no module needed.

End result is REALLY BRIGHT red tail lights thru the clear lenses. If you stare at them at night in the driveway, you will be blinking red dots for a while.

My wife followed me on a trip once and was stunned by the lack of visability of the stock rear lights. Not now.

I already have the proper electronic relay that incorporates the load equalizers if need be.

Custom Dynamics and other companies have various LED signal light solutions but I'm looking to see who has tried which and whats kind of first hand info..

I have one of the Custom Dynamics brake lights on my bike and it's insanely bright when you apply the brake..

Hi guys, anyone here using LED signal lights on the RSV? I've seen some on other bikes and didn't think they were brighter or near as bright as the OEM incandescent bulbs.

I did NOT install LEDs on my RSV in the turn signals.

Please read the thread at THIS link for my reasons....

HOWEVER I did install a 15" LED third brake light under the trunk and got it for cheep, like $15 vice the $50 that I see it advertised for........ I did install the 100 LED brake light from Signal Dynamics.

Ya know, why can't these companies install the necessary diodes/resistors in the circutry of these LED replacements?? They sell the lights, why should the customer have to rewire the damn bike to make them work..... I may think about goiong that route once they do.... :stirthepot:

I hope that Bummer chimes in on this thread. I don't know which ones he has for sure, but think that they are the same as Dennis' (MidRSV). Anyway, I can verify that both of those guys have extremely bright LED turn signals. And MidRSV has a blinding-bright LED Brake light unit as well. Can't remember the brand of that either.....:whistling:

I've had the 15' LED light bar from Diamond R mounted under the trunk for about a year, and I think it provides all the back-end visibility and illumination that I would ever really need. I'm told by everyone who ever rides behind me that it's as bright and visible as any lights out there, day or night.

http://diamondraccessories.com/yamaha/proddisplay.php?name=15%60%60%20Slimline%20LED%20Lightbar

I use these and like them. I think they are more noticeable.

http://www.customdynamics.com/yamaha_turn_signal_retro.htm

You do need one of their resistor packs to slow down the flash speed if the fast flashing bothers you.

Dennis

+100 on Custom Dynamics products. Their LEDs are brighter than stock bulbs. I have LEDs all the way around my RSV including on my HD auxilliary housing. You can't go wrong with these products. Very easy to install. :mustache:

+100 on Custom Dynamics products. Their LEDs are brighter than stock bulbs. I have LEDs all the way around my RSV including on my HD auxilliary housing. You can't go wrong with these products. Very easy to install.

Thanks for the info, basically what I was looking for.. Cheers!

If you need to put in a resister pack to get the turn signals to blink normally or to turn off any bad bulb display, then you have just defeated the purpose of saving power by using LEDs. The resister pack will draw enough current (and turn it to heat) to fool the turn indicator into thinking it has normal filament light bulbs

Thanks for the info, basically what I was looking for.. Cheers!

Glad to help and I hope you will like those LEDs from Custom Dynamics. BTW when you get a chance, try to inquire about LED side markers for our RSV that will take the place of the reflector next to the bags. They may have developed one for our application. :)

I hope that Bummer chimes in on this thread. I don't know which ones he has for sure, but think that they are the same as Dennis' (MidRSV). Anyway, I can verify that both of those guys have extremely bright LED turn signals. And MidRSV has a blinding-bright LED Brake light unit as well. Can't remember the brand of that either.....:whistling:

My light is a Whelen "striplite" and it is the brightest I've found. A4pumper also installed one. I'm considering adding a second one stacked under the first to double the size. Here's a photo.

Dennis

If you need to put in a resister pack to get the turn signals to blink normally or to turn off any bad bulb display, then you have just defeated the purpose of saving power by using LEDs. The resister pack will draw enough current (and turn it to heat) to fool the turn indicator into thinking it has normal filament light bulbs

You have a point there, RandyR. But think about this...how often would someone be using his flashers? The only time one will use his turn signal is to make a turn or place it on four way flashing hazard state. 98% to 99% of the time, it is mostly riding on a straightline. So I think there is still a good advantage of having LEDs in terms of power saved. BTW 'Seaking', CD has the 'New Slimline Metric Signal Stabilizer' which produces no hear and is a 'No Load' type - similar to what I have.

Most of my LEDs are running lights, 2 in front (amber); 3 in the rear + Yamaha spoiler; my rear signals are not running lights but are amber LEDs. They are pricey, but I think it does illuminate the front and rear better than reg. bulbs and looks cool too. :grandma:

Glad to help and I hope you will like those LEDs from Custom Dynamics. BTW when you get a chance, try to inquire about LED side markers for our RSV that will take the place of the reflector next to the bags. They may have developed one for our application. :)

Thanks M8.. I have something similar installed on the front and rear sides of the bike..

Cheers

You can order LED reflector/lights from J C Whitney or J&P Cycle. I have had them for years and they work great.

:farmer:

I have these, which are the same as the ones Midrsv has. They are poke yer eye bright!

They are a bit expensive, but I feel they are well worth it.

I did not use load equalizers. For quite a while I just let 'em flash fast. It's not really all that fast. In fact I had several people tell me I had a turn signal out, since they flash at about the rate incandescents do when one it burned out.

They may also kill auto-cancel. When I first installed them auto-cancel still worked. I swapped the relay to test my sister's Royal Star's flashers, and when I put it back auto-cancel was gone. I'm still not sure why that happened. I didn't try to troubleshoot it very hard, I just put the Trick Flasher I'd previously removed back on. Speaking of which...

If you do go with LEDs and do want to do something about flash speed, I'd suggest looking for a digital flasher. I use a little box called a Trick Flasher that has several custom (and technically not DOT legal) flash patterns. These are no longer sold. Custom Dynamics has had similar flashers, but doesn't list any right now.

While not actually part of the original question, I'd strongly recommend an LED tail light. I have an older 128 LED unit that is so bright I had to get a separate LED plate light to direct enough light onto the plate for it to be seen over the glare of the tail light at night. The current 100 LED option is almost as bright and not quite as expensive. I do not recommend going with the 32 LED version - might as well stay with the incandescent bulb. If you do go with an LED tail light, you should also get a clear or smoke colored lens, since the red lens reduces the amount of light displayed.

FWIW, I also have the Yamaha wing with a BackOff XP on the LED and a modulator on the headlight high beams. You just can't have enough lights doing strange stuff for me. Once run over, twice paranoid.

Thanks Bummer and all..

The link you provided, are these the ones I would need to order?

Yamaha Turn Signal LED Inserts Amber 1156 GEN200-A-1156-T

Yamaha Turn Signal LED Inserts Amber 1157 GEN200-A-1157E2-T

As mentioned before I already have an electronic relay flasher unit someone sent me when my OEM one died, so I believe I'd be all set up for it..

The insanely bright tail light works great on the bike.. Love it.. =)

Thanks once again to all..

Cheers

You can order LED reflector/lights from J C Whitney or J&P Cycle. I have had them for years and they work great.

:farmer:

Hello Sylvester. Yes, I have read about the J&P Cycles LED reflector. I even have their link bookmarked in my computer. Still not sure if I really want their product or not. But please tell me (question), is the J&P Cycle side marker also noticeable during the day? Is it bright enough under the sun or only at night?

What I like about custom dynamics LEDs is that they really are pretty bright even during the day. IMO, their products are of good quality. I hope custom dynamics develop something similar to what J&P has.:mustache:

But please tell me (question), is the J&P Cycle side marker also noticeable during the day? Is it bright enough under the sun or only at night?

What I like about custom dynamics LEDs is that they really are pretty bright even during the day. IMO, their products are of good quality. I hope custom dynamics develop something similar to what J&P has.

There is nothing wrong with the product J&P sells for LED side marker, it works just like the OEM marker on your bike, but it's illuminated as well.. Simple to wire in ect..

What makes it even better is that it juts out ever so slightly but enough that when following the bike you actually see the illuminated light from behind.. so it gives the bike an additional spread of "see me" lighting.. I plan to do up the front amber ones as well.. a little more work just to get the wires hidden..

Sneaking,

If you are trying to get the most light on, you might consider putting red led's in the back. This along with a run-turn-brake controller will run the blinker led's all the time as running lights. I think you may already have clear lenses so only need to change lamps. If you are looking for a RTB controller, my suggestion is Kuryakyn #4613 which is a plug and play RTB for the RSV. Works great and really increases rear visability. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Here's a not so good picture of the back of mine.

Sneaking,

If you are trying to get the most light on, you might consider putting red led's in the back. This along with a run-turn-brake controller will run the blinker led's all the time as running lights. I think you may already have clear lenses so only need to change lamps. If you are looking for a RTB controller, my suggestion is Kuryakyn #4613 which is a plug and play RTB for the RSV. Works great and really increases rear visability. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Here's a not so good picture of the back of mine.

BerryT, thanks for the info M8..

Cheers