IGNORED

Heated grips or Heated gloves?

BigBear

I prefer the heated gloves, and have the G3's I have the connection under the tank in the rear on the Venture, and under the side cover on the GL. I use the portable controllers and adjust the heat as needed. Cant beat the setup. Here is how the Goldwing is setup, and on the Venture I have to clip the controller on my jacket ( for now any way)

I froze my fingers years ago because I didn’t have good enough gloves while riding in really cold weather, like below 10 degrees. So now I use both heated grips & Gerbing heated gloves. The heated grips work very nicely on those cool days with light weight gloves. But when gets below 50 the gloves & grips work nicely together. The gloves are a little tricky to get on & sleeves tucked in, but once in place they work well. I just took a trip in the middle of November from Iowa to Oregon & my hands stayed comfortable the whole way and there were several hours of below freezing temperatures. I ride an 87 Royale & with a full Gerbing suit & heated grips running, my voltage does run close to 12. But I have my suit connected to the Gerbing thermostat so I can turn down the heat on the pant/socks or jacket/gloves just a little & voltage stays up all day long. I woldn’t leave home without them.

21 F on the commute this morning and my hands were comfortable. I was running my jacket liner, seat heater, grip heater and Gerbing T5 gloves on high and driving at about 60 MPH.

But my feet and legs got a little cold..... I might look into a set of pants liners and maybe socks or insoles.

Is it just me or are motorcycle accessories expensive and addictive..... kinda like drugs.

Edited by KiteSquid

21 F on the commute this morning and my hands were comfortable. I was running my jacket liner, seat heater, grip heater and Gerbing T5 gloves on high and driving at about 60 MPH.

But my feet and legs got a little cold..... I might look into a set of pants liners and maybe socks or insoles.

Is it just me or are motorcycle accessories expensive and addictive..... kinda like drugs.

It's you. All of the stuff I get is cheap for the bikes :confused24:

NOT ;)

Hey Bobby...I have the Gerbing Gloves...how in the heck are you running the wires? In fact, how did you do your entire setup?:confused24:

I run the fused connector straight off the battery and up under the tank, and back again down under the Hopnel tank bib to a bib pouch that holds my glasses, garage door opener and other misc. stuff. I just hop on the seat, plug in and go. It's easier to get to that connector there then if it's popping up where the seat meets the tank.

I also have the matching Gerbin heated vest that plugs in series with the gloves when really needed, and that's what plugs into the main connector to the batt. But I only wear the vest when it's really freezing out there.

I'm going to do a little stitching on my coat to have the glove wires be able to be pre-installed so I don't have to "fish" them through the sleeves every time I put it on and take it off. What a pain!

How well do the Gerbing Gloves work in the rain? Any issues with them getting soaked?

I avoid riding in the rain when it's cold enough to need them, so I really don't know. (Nothing worse than being wet :depressed: AND cold :cold: at the same time, especially on wet, slippery roads!) But I'm sure they will still function OK, especially if you treat the leather with a waterproof spray ahead of time. They also came with slip-on glove covers made of a waterproof poly material, but I've never used them.

• 1 month later...

Big Bear,

I know that you posted this a month ago and may have reached a decision but I'll give you my 2 cents because I'm pretty happy with my solution.

I have heated grips. Like many have said here they work best with thin bottomed gloves. Thin gloves on top don't help. I bougt the hippo hands a couple weeks ago. Using the hippo hands in combination with the heated grips was awesome. If I had to choose one I would choose the hippo hands. If you were going to go with the heated grips alone I would look for great insulated gloves that kept the wind off but had thin palms. I used it on an hour 20 degree ride yesterday and hands were never an issue.

Bob

Second winter living in Chattanooga, TN. Last winter my fingers caught it bad! After the ten minute ride to or from work I would have to endure a painful thawing out process. This year I installed these: http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/large_photo?mv_session_id=q2DHhhtD&mv_arg=N5502&search_model=ym-075 No longer have to do the thaw out process even in 20 degree weather. I wear insulated gortex gloves with silk liners. The wind deflectors have done the trick!!