IGNORED

Build or buy

Maritimer

Hi all.

I am looking at getting a trailer to pull behind my scoot. Not sure if I should build or buy. If I build, I am sure I can get a couple of friends to do the welding for me at the school where I work. Should it be aluminum tubing? I would think it's better for weight but would it hold on the road? Then put a car top cargo on it again for weight.

To buy, not sure where to look for a good price and quality at the same time.

Any ideas are welcome. If you have a plan of how to build one I would certainly appreciate it.

thanks

I read many good reviews on the haror freight. It looks very nice and the price is certainly right.

I may be a bit late in the year to get it, not sure. I'll see if I can get it shipped to a border town and pick it up there.

Thanks all for your replies.

I bought a trailer used then spent a winter renovating it. She was stripped to the individual parts, welded on a longer tongue, added more cargo space, repacked the bearings and repainted to match my bike. Like you, I had to get someone to do the welding. It was a great winter project and I loved watching her come together. Upon completion found out I had the tongue weight to heavy. With the help from Brake Pad and a heavy duty trailer hitch that issue was resolved.

Since then I have traveled most of the US and half of Canada with her. She made it to Don's Maintenance Day in Ohio last year and I plan on heading to the International Rally with her if I can get the time off this summer.

I love my trailer and it has done everything I asked of it. I learned a lot during and since the renovation. The best lesson has been the support and wisdom that this site offers. Everyone is more than willing to offer help, encouragement, and sometimes criticism to keep us safe. SO JUMP IN!!

I pick this up, I saw it on sleez-bay. I called them and bought direct. It's alum. frame and tound, chrome coupler, torshion axle, cool tray and LED lights. $695.00 + shipping $79 or $139. Pulls very nice don't know it there. No sway or bounce. The cartop acarrier seams a little cheesy but it held up and is like new after a 4300 mile trip this summer. And it locks. you can see it here on sleez-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-Pull-Behind-Motorcycle-Trailer-Cargo-Tow-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c178ef55eQQitemZ120654329182QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Or their site here.

http://www.theusatrailerstore.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71&Itemid=89

Best deal I found for something new and alum. Oh, chrome wheels too. :thumbsup2:

I built mine, more for the challenge. I guesstimate that I have about $900.00 in materials (I got some hug discounts on materials as well) . That included the materials for the molds as well, so that added to the cost. Everything is way overbuilt to boot. Aluminum frame, 12 aluminum mags, radial tires, remote control/linear operated hatchw/ 12voly power supply(battery), built in cooler, led lights, flag pole mounts, and plenty of beer!

First time I took it out on a trip the Bike Week in MB, I was offered $4K for the BEERCART. I asked the guy if he was a sh*t-n me and he replied, "NOPE, want CASH"? I should have took him up on the offer, but this was my first build in a long time and honestly too much pride in it. I should have taken it and made me another.

I'll most likely build me another when I get the time. This time it will be a bit smaller. Not complaining that the BEERCART is to big, just do not need all the extra's for shorter trips. Most likely make me something like a Uni-Go with body to resemble a set of RSV saddlebags.

BEER30