IGNORED

Best Oil for RSV

Being that it has some miles on it you may want to go with the Mobil-1 4T or Amsoil... both have more zinc than most any other oil and the more wear on the engine the more you need it. But the Rotella is just below them so it still isn't a bad choice.

Edited by BigBoyinMS

I agree, everyone has a preference for whatever reason and the ones listed seem to get good reviews here. For me, I use the amsoil and also use the amsoil filter. Biggest reason, I can order and have shipped direct to my house. In short, its easier and I hate going to walley world.

I agree, everyone has a preference for whatever reason and the ones listed seem to get good reviews here. For me, I use the amsoil and also use the amsoil filter. Biggest reason, I can order and have shipped direct to my house. In short, its easier and I hate going to walley world.

Considering the mileage, might not want to consider a full synthetic, especially if it has always run on conventional oil. Just my thoughts. :starz:

If you are going to change it in short intervals like 4000 miles or so stay with Dino,, but if you are going to extend it like I do (10 to 12 K ) I use Rotilla T6 or Mobile 1 Rotilla is the least costly. :confused24: Also if your going to change it often try the Wall Mart filters, I have been using them on the RSV and the GL1800

Any oil that meets the text in the owners manual...

That said I would recommend Rotella T6 full synthetic 5W-40. It is JASO MA certified....

It is one thing to put in good oil, it is yet another thing to keep it clean, remember it is the entire system of components... so I would recommend a good oil filter like a Pureolater PureOne...... which is 99.9% efficient (Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on PL30001)

There are other filters that are comparable for keeping your oil clean but in my experience the PrueOne filters are usually the lowest cost of the high end filters.

Your mileage may vary.

Caveat emptor.

Any oil that meets the text in the owners manual...

That said I would recommend Rotella T6 full synthetic 5W-40. It is JASO MA certified....

It is one thing to put in good oil, it is yet another thing to keep it clean, remember it is the entire system of components... so I would recommend a good oil filter like a Pureolater PureOne...... which is 99.9% efficient (Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on PL30001)

There are other filters that are comparable for keeping your oil clean but in my experience the PrueOne filters are usually the lowest cost of the high end filters.

Your mileage may vary.

Caveat emptor.

Can't find those oil filters around here.. been looking though.. Another thing I put on my bikes is a MAG PLUG.. the drain plug has a heavy magnet to it that attracts small particles.. any little bit helps. Certainly doesn't hurt..

Where can you pick up those Pureone filters? (I'm in Canada) and what's the cost difference over an OEM one?

Cheers M8

Where can you pick up those Pureone filters? (I'm in Canada)

Pureolator fiters are carreid at the stores lised HERE. They may or may not carry the PureOne filters, but you can try....

and what's the cost difference over an OEM one?

If you are talking the Yamaha filter from the Yamaha dealership, than I would say about the same or maybe a little less for the PureOne filter.

Bosch, Amsoil and Mobil 1 also market high efficiency oil filters, but around here they normally cost more than the PurOne filters...

Thanks for the info.. None of those shops listed are around here (Sears Ca doesn't carry them).. but the next trip into the US of the A I'll have a boo at pep Boys and such..

Not sure how pricing works where you are with Amsoil products but they are dang expensive here.. huge markup on their products.. compare it with what the other synth oils go for? ouch.. not worth it.. almost $18 a little bottle.. compared to $9 to $12 for other brands.. But that's out here in the middle of no where.. 2 weeks geographically located from anywhere significant..

Hmmmm, i've been running Bertolli olive oil for years. The extra virgin one. When I change it I usually strain it and re-use it for making salad dressing.............So. who's coming to dinner???

:whistling::rasberry::crackup: :smile5:

Hmmmm, i've been running Bertolli olive oil for years. The extra virgin one. When I change it I usually strain it and re-use it for making salad dressing.............So. who's coming to dinner???

:whistling::rasberry::crackup: :smile5:

And it would appear that the additional heavy metals as a vitamin supplement can increase ones mental acuity a lot....

Canadian Tire has Rotella 5/40 T6 on sale periodically for 22.00/4 litres. You can go on their website and set up an alert that will automatically send you an alert by E-mail when it's on sale. Even at the regular price of around 35.00 it's a smokin' deal compared to 15-18.00 a litre for Amsoil or Mobil one motorcycle synthetic. It's JASO rated just like them. Ron:fatsmiley:

Please forgive my stupidity on this one, but I've always just bought my oil from the dealer. What do I need to look for on the label to make sure the oil I choose is ok for use in our bikes?

IIRC the owners manual from the 2007 RSV that I totaled on page 9-1 it states

Recommended engine oil grade:

API service SG type or higher, JASO standard MA

But you should NOT trust my memory and read your owners manual. If you don't have your manual you can register at starmotorcyle.com and download an electronic version for free.....

Thant means you can use API SG, SH, SI......... or any oil that says JASO MA on the label, but do NOT buy anything that has a API "doughnut" with the words "Energy Conserving" as it will have Molybdenum Disulphide in it which is GREAT for your engine and transmission but it will ruin your clutch in short order as it will leach the copper out of the plates, and make what is left of the friction material very slick, which is not what you want in a clutch.

here is an example I found on the Internet of what NOT to buy.

http://www.p2pays.org/rrfoil/images/apidonut.gif

IF you are looking for a recommendation, I use Shell Rotella T6 as it is a full synthetic, JASO MA certified, available just about anywhere, and costs less per gallon than just about any other full synthetic. I get it at Advance Auto Parts or Walmart for about $20 per gallon.....

Don't forget to use a high quality oil filter!!!!!!!!!!!