IGNORED

Glacier National Park?

Condor

Has anyone been to Glacier National Park? Or around that area?

Were to go, what to see, were to stay.

:think:

Lodging

Food

Places to see

Scenic rides

Scenic areas

All suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Thank You :sun:

Al Bates

Well Al, to answer your first post.... It was there?? Don't know what happened to it?? On your second post, Glacier is a great place to visit. There are many smaller towns close by that offer Lodging. When in Kalispell we stay at the Motel 6. My bro lives in Kalispel... The Road to the Sun is a must do. http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/goingtothesunroad.htm

White Fish is kinda cool. Columbia Falls is also a good place to stay.

Were to go, what to see, were to stay.

:think:

Lodging

Food

Places to see

Scenic rides

Scenic areas

Al Bates

I was there years ago in summer and the going to the sun hiway is a must, Logan pass is great! I like the Kalispell, BigMountain area as its kind of the way the old west used to be in the area. (We spent quite a few winter vacations in the area when I used to ski, but skiing got way too hard for this old fat guy, lol!)

I am kinda planning on making a trip that way next summer after Cody to circle around and then go home, if ya want to make a trip of it, let me know.

Brian

As for Glacier, Eileen and I were there a few years ago. I don't remember the name of the hotel where we stayed but it was the one inside the park. Rustic but very clean and we really enjoyed it. No telephone and no televisions though. There is also a pretty decent restaurant connected to it.

Road to the sun just shouldn't be missed. Beyond that, there are a lot of things to see and do in the area. Eileen and I did a whitewater rafting trip that was fantastic and at the end of it, they grilled great steaks there on the bank of the river. We really enjoyed it.

Don't remember the rafting company either but it was right at the entrance of the park.

Here is a pic of us with friends in front of the hotel inside the park. Like I said, it is nothing fancy but we really did enjoy it. The other picture is Eileen and I at the top of the Road to the Sun. I don't remember for sure but I think this was mid to late July.

Edited by Freebird

Where to go, what to see, where to stay. :think:

Lodging

Food

Places to see

Scenic rides

Scenic areas

Al Bates

We rode through Yellowstone and Glacier 4 years ago. We stayed in Whitefish and then rode the "Going to the Sun" road from west to east. A great ride. I'll try to find some information from our trip.

Dennis

I was raised in Polson Mt. (18yrs) make your way around Flathead Lake, Big fork is a nice little stop for lunch, Whitefish is pretty nice, then going to the sun hiway, ( Make sure it open all the way) on your way back go through Sealy Lake, not sure what hiway that is but its a pretty nice ride. Good luck and have fun.

PS...be very carefull on Hiway 93, the saying goes " I drive 93, pray for me "

Kreg

That is one of the lodges at Glacier National. It is the one Don is talking about. Very rustic but the most reasonable. Hard to believe the snow pile Don and Eileen are standing next to was about 50 deep at one point. I think that was right after the first of July. They had just opened the "Road to the Sun."

Definitely go if you have the chance!

Sorry folks, I tried to move and merge two threads but since it does it by time posted, it put them out of order. Al's question should have been the first post of the thread.

Ahhh.... Question answered. Wondered how I ended up #1 post.. Don's messin' with the posts again..... :sign20:

AL when you get ready to make that trip get in contact with me i live in eureka less then 2 hours from kalispell . i would love to meet you and do the ride with you. i have made the ride 3-4 times. if you can plan to miss the 4th of july rush you would like it better. :hurts:

Edited by steve crossley

I'm toying with the idea of going home thru Kalispell and visit the Bro., but it all depends on how I feel after Cody. Maybe we can get a group together and form a 'Cody After Glow' ride to Glacier?? And maybe I can get Tom to cook breakfast for the group?? He likes to cook.... :) :whistling:

I'm toying with the idea of going home thru Kalispell and visit the Bro., but it all depends on how I feel after Cody. Maybe we can get a group together and form a 'Cody After Glow' ride to Glacier?? And maybe I can get Tom to cook breakfast for the group?? He likes to cook.... :) :whistling:

That Loop was kinda on my agenda too, but its not quite as far outta my way as it is outta yours...lol

Brian

I guess I've deleted my planning information for my trip to Yellowstone and Glacier. Basically I rode with several friends to Jackson Hole, WY and then we rode a loop out of Jackson Hole through Yellowstone, cut across the corner of Idaho, on into Montana and Glacier NP. We rode through Glacier from west to east and then turned south on 89 through Choteau, Big Timber, Red Lodge and Cooke City. We then re-entered Yellowstone from the east entrance and returned to Jackson Hole.

Attached is a map of our route. Also, I still have photos on my web site that can be seen at www.traynorphoto.com/glacier

Dennis

AL when you get ready to make that trip get in contact with me i live in eureka less then 2 hours from kalispell . i would love to meet you and do the ride with you. i have made the ride 3-4 times. if you can plan to miss the 4th of july rush you would like it better. :hurts:
Steve, me not knowing the area sure would be great having you show us around. Thanks a million, greatly appreciated :7_2_104[1]:

I guess I've deleted my planning information for my trip to Yellowstone and Glacier. Basically I rode with several friends to Jackson Hole, WY and then we rode a loop out of Jackson Hole through Yellowstone, cut across the corner of Idaho, on into Montana and Glacier NP. We rode through Glacier from west to east and then turned south on 89 through Choteau, Big Timber, Red Lodge and Cooke City. We then re-entered Yellowstone from the east entrance and returned to Jackson Hole.

Attached is a map of our route. Also, I still have photos on my web site that can be seen at www.traynorphoto.com/glacier

Dennis

Dennis, great pics, thank you for the info. :7_2_104[1]:

?? when you went through Glacier Park did you make reservations ahead or just wing-it?

Edited by Al Bates

Dennis, great pics, thank you for the info. :7_2_104[1]:

?? when you went through Glacier Park did you make reservations ahead or just wing-it?

We had reservations in Whitefish the night before we went through the park and then we had rooms reserved in Choteau the next night and the reservations were definitely needed. If I were doing it again I would spend a night in the park if I could.

Dennis