IGNORED

Hi! Newbie How much HP does the RSV actually dyno out at?

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a 2004 Midnight Black RSV. I am wondering if anyone has had their bike dynoed and what HP is actually measured on the rear wheel?

Yamaha says 98 but that is at the crank. Its a shaft drive so I figure minus give or take 20% so let's say 70 to 74 HP actual?

Thanks

Chris in Red Deer, Alberta

I wouldn't mind doing some dyno runs on mine but the idjits around here think a 3 run package for $350 is a good deal. Whatever the figure is, your seat-of-the-pants dyno will think it's more. As long as you keep the rpm's up there are very few H-D's that can hang with it. Power is not a worry. Just don't expect to outrun a GoldWing.

Uhhhh, trade it in on a 1st Gen MK1???

K&N air filters and a free flow exhaust helps just a tad, there are some aftermarket TCI';s that claim to help out a little. Hey, stock is faster than a Harley except for the VRod and the Boss...

Just waiting to meet one of those V-Rods at a stoplight .....:whistling:

You ain't gonna be looking at the back of very many bikes I can tell you that. These bikes may only have 80 at the wheel but they are fast. I was getting on the freeway today following a sport bike and we both nailed it. At 80 I backed off (still in 3rd), he did more than one double take with me right behind him. Guess he thought he was just gonna walk away.

You ain't gonna be looking at the back of very many bikes I can tell you that. These bikes may only have 80 at the wheel but they are fast. I was getting on the freeway today following a sport bike and we both nailed it. At 80 I backed off (still in 3rd), he did more than one double take with me right behind him. Guess he thought he was just gonna walk away.

Yeah, I get a kick outta those puzzled looks on their faces. :crackup:

I had a "go" the other day with an Acura something or another... we're cruisin down the freeway at about 130 km/h and this guy is on my butt...we're in the left lane, passing all the others so I dropped it to 3rd and off I went... wound her up to the rev limiter in 3rd, hit 4th and buried the speedo needle, then to 5th .... I was able to pull away from the Acura initially but he was able to keep up (at a distance) ... I finally backed off when I figured I was close to the end of my max speed (no idea what that was). Point being, there's not a lot of cruiser/tourer/bagger bikes out there that can keep up with the RSV but cars are a different story ... their top speed can equal or exceed the scoot and many of them have just as much passing power... or a lot more. Not to mention, they are much more stable at high speed than a bike is.

ohhhhh but it was FUN!

I had a "go" the other day with an Acura something or another... we're cruisin down the freeway at about 130 km/h and this guy is on my butt...we're in the left lane, passing all the others so I dropped it to 3rd and off I went... wound her up to the rev limiter in 3rd, hit 4th and buried the speedo needle, then to 5th .... I was able to pull away from the Acura initially but he was able to keep up (at a distance) ... I finally backed off when I figured I was close to the end of my max speed (no idea what that was). Point being, there's not a lot of cruiser/tourer/bagger bikes out there that can keep up with the RSV but cars are a different story ... their top speed can equal or exceed the scoot and many of them have just as much passing power... or a lot more. Not to mention, they are much more stable at high speed than a bike is.

ohhhhh but it was FUN!

Everyone, thanks for all your comments. I bought a 2004 Midnight RSV today. Now I just need to pray the snow holds off so I can drive it home from Calgary to Red Deer on Saturday.

I previously owned a 2001 RSV and know well the power and awesome handling it has. I'm glad to have one back again. I look forward to talking with ya'll in the future.

Chris in Red Deer, AB

Everyone, thanks for all your comments. I bought a 2004 Midnight RSV today. Now I just need to pray the snow holds off so I can drive it home from Calgary to Red Deer on Saturday.

I previously owned a 2001 RSV and know well the power and awesome handling it has. I'm glad to have one back again. I look forward to talking with ya'll in the future.

Chris in Red Deer, AB

LOL snow? Heck we were hoping for the RAINS to finally go away so we could get in a few more days of riding hehe.. You're going to enjoy the RSV (I have an 06 Midnight)..

If you bought yours used from a private owner and not sure if the bike was properly serviced in it's life time (mine wasn't ugh).. be sure to do your filters as soon as possible (fuel especially).. It will save you a lot of grief in the long run.. flush all your fluids (brakes and clutch)..

I went through a lot of maintenance on my bike because the two previous owners didn't seem to have taken care of it properly.. but at the price I paid for it, and the free warranty work I got done in the USA, I wasn't complaining much. But preventive maintenance goes a long way with these bikes..

Fun fun.. I've only had it for two years and already put over 55,000 miles on it.. hehehe

No, it's NOT an addiction.. it's not.. I'm just in denial..