IGNORED

Question about flag etiquette

MiCarl

While adding insulation to my attic I found an old U.S. flag (48 stars). It's filthy and has many holes in it.

While I'd like to keep it (it looks pretty interesting) it'd definitely have to be washed.

Is it permissible to wash it (by hand, the machine would undoubtedly finish it off) or should I just burn it?

Thanks for your input.

If it was merely soiled you could probably gently hand wash it... because of the holes it is no longer fit for display and should probably be properly destroyed. We have local Boy Scout and Girl Scout troops around here that annually have ceremonies where they properly retire old flags.

If the flag has too great a sentimental value to let go (I have one like this) You could fold it properly and store it in a glass case to prevent further degradation.

Just my .02

Flag Code - part 8

Edited by ThomWill
Edited to add reference to USCode title 4 chapter 1 part 8

Just my :2cents:

Many people would not mark up a Bible...as if it is something special.

My Bible is marked up with highlighter, notes in the margins and along the bottom of the pages .

in the end, it is just a book....the most special book in all creation...but still just paper and ink. and when this one wears out, it will be recycled, or burned, and replaced with another printing of the same book.

It is important only all the wonderful things it teaches and REPRESENTS, not for the material it is made with.

In the same vein, although I appreciate that a flag from any nation REPRESENTS many great things, and invokes many deep emotions, in the end, it is a piece of cloth.

A lot of people may have "died for the flag"...but more correctly, they died for what that flag represents.

If it was something special...like the flag from the twin towers or something then I could see it being an issue.

My point is it should not be a big issue to dispose of an old and destroyed flag. Just burn it. (but don't do it publicaly! LOL)

Again...not to raise the ire of anyone...just my 2 cents

The Flag Code suggests that, “when a flag has served its useful purpose, it should be destroyed, preferably by burning.” For individual citizens this should be done discreetly so that the act of destruction is not perceived as a protest or desecration. Many American Legion posts conduct Disposal of Unserviceable Flag Ceremonies on June 14, Flag Day, each year. This ceremony creates a particularly dignified and solemn occasion for the disposal of unserviceable flags

My thoughts are the flag was put up in the attic for reasons unknown by prior parties, it's at least 60+ years old and I would not have a problem keeping it and possibly donating it to a local museum or veterans service organization.

It was my understanding when I retired that most dry cleaners will clean/wash/dry clean U.S. Colors for free. Professional dry cleaners I would think know how to properly clean any old deterioating material without further damage. May be something worth checking out. But as I said "when I retired". With the economy as screwed up as it is, no telling what has changed.

Do what you want with it. It would make a great piece to hang up on the wall.

Whether it was a flag flying over the Twin Towers in New York where 2 or 3 thousand died or Viet Nam where over 50,000 perished I think it does not matter.

Display it Proudly and with Respect.

BOO

BTW it is NOT Flag burning, as that is what protesters do. It is Flag Retirement.

The American Legion Post that I am a meber of, retires US Flags on July 4th.

can you find the history of that particlualr Flag?

Was it carried back from war?

How did it get its holes?

It pirks my senses. I would retrace the home's previous owners.

I would contact them if possible and see if there is a connection to this flag.

Not only would it be fun, but you may have found a piece of history for a family that forgot the flag. Stored flags usually have a story and the story could be just helping a family or person that is missing it.

If all fails then you can decide what you want to do with the flag.

It pirks my senses. I would retrace the home's previous owners.

I would contact them if possible and see if there is a connection to this flag.

Not only would it be fun, but you may have found a piece of history for a family that forgot the flag. Stored flags usually have a story and the story could be just helping a family or person that is missing it.

If all fails then you can decide what you want to do with the flag.

BTW it is NOT Flag burning, as that is what protesters do. It is Flag Retirement.

The American Legion Post that I am a meber of, retires US Flags on July 4th.

can you find the history of that particlualr Flag?

Was it carried back from war?

How did it get its holes?

It was wired to a cheap aluminum pole like would be used with a wall mount. The stars are printed on the field of blue, not embroidered. It was wrapped around the pole and laying across the joists against the cold air return duct, near the access stairway. All in all it looks a lot like the cheap set up Dad used to put on the porch for holidays (minus 2 stars)

The original part of the house (where I was insulating) was built in 1953. I suspect when the flag got 50 stars in 1959 that one was crammed into the attic and forgotten.

The holes appear to be from wear, moths and/or mice. They're irregular so my guess is not bullets. There are some spots that are worn thin.

It wasn't stored like it had any particular meaning to anyone. I was planning to burn it when I noticed that the field of stars didn't look right and counted them. If it had 50 it'd already be gone.

All in all it just doesn't have the quality to be any kind of a display piece. I think I'll probably just retire it properly.

Thanks everyone for all your feedback.

If you are going to retire the flag have your local legion post do it. Cleaning it would be cool, and save it. My dad and brother are auctioneers, and there are 2 things they cant sell at public auction. The flag, and the bible. I am glad you are asking what is the right thing to do. I know a guy who has flown his flag upside down since Obama took office in protest. Now I dont want a political debate here. But that is wrong as far as I am concerend. Especially since he was a career military man. Whether you agree with his policies or not, you are disrespecting the military's commander in chief.

k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

Notice that the code does not say the flag must be burned. It says burning is preferred. It also does not say that only Boy Scout Troops or The American Legion may do the burning. This belief sometimes gets brought up, but, unless some state or municipality has some local law to this effect, it is an urban myth. According to the US Flag Code, private individuals are permitted to retire the flag in this manner. However, those fine organizations and others do it in an organized way, often with a ceremony that can be quite moving to attend. I have also seen where The Girl Scouts have a ceremony that includes first cutting the retired flags into strips before they are burned. But the US Flag Code does not require that step. The Flag Code is also silent on what method other than burning would be considered dignified. As with many things in our beloved country, that decision is left to the dictates of our own respective consciences. But I have always stuck with burning. We used to just do it ourselves at my shop or at my home. But then I came to find out that towns have laws against the opening burning of anything and had to stop. Therefore, I save up flags that people drop off at my shop. When I see that a veterans organization or scout troop is having a retirement ceremony, I bring them there. Sometimes quite some time goes by and I have boxes of them. But I always find an outlet. Some VFW posts in our area have a wonderful idea. They have taken old mailboxes and repainted them in a red/white/blue theme. These are the giant mailboxes found on city streets. They put a sign on them saying "old flag drop off" or words to that effect. This is a wonderful service.

R2m