IGNORED

Insurance Coverage

Condor

I have both bikes insured through Geico, and while sitting here daydreaming.. when I do some of my best work.. :) .. I got to thinking about whether or not my new trailer was covered under my current policies like they are on an auto policy. So I called Geico. I found that it wasn't...per se'. At least not the value. So to prevent a wrestling match in the future I added the VIN #, and Value to the policies... There wasn't a change in the premium, but now if it's damaged or stolen it's covered.

While on the subject, another insurance area that we've talked about in the past, but haven't seen anything lately, is uninsured AND underinsured coverage. Most MC policies have un-insured, but unless you ask for it, they don't have under-insured coverage. Get in an accident where you're not at fault, and the at fault drivers liability is the bare minium, your insurance company doesn't have to shell out a dime. In the state of California minium is 15/30. Hospital bills will wipe that out in a heart beat. So word to the wise. Check your coverage.

I talked to my insurance company and they just added the trailer to my bike policy at no extra charge. Just had to provide them with the s/n and info so they could add. Like you say worth having it on there in case of a mishap!

Keith

While on the subject, another insurance area that we've talked about in the past, but haven't seen anything lately, is uninsured AND underinsured coverage. Most MC policies have un-insured, but unless you ask for it, they don't have under-insured coverage...

I've been with the same insurance company for quite some time now and have never had an issue with this. Maybe I'm lucky, but my agent and I discuss what kind of coverage I THINK I need/want, then he makes suggestions accordingly. The under/un insured covereage is something that I had mentioned and he said not only does he highly recommended it (despite the spike in the premium) he told me that a good amount of folks dont' know about it or insist that it isn't necessary for them, blah blah blah, but the agent is the first one they come to when something happens and they want a pay out even though they didn't have the appropriate coverage.

Regardless -- Good call on getting this info out there for anyone that may not realize whether they have it or not.

For what it is worth, I usually adjust my life insurance policy before I take a log bike trip too - just in case.

You made some good points Condor. Most people don't look at their coverage until they have a claim and get upset because they didn't have the proper coverage. I used to get upset when I would see people on this site talk about the cheap insurance they have. You need to make sure you have the proper coverage and then get the best rate available for that coverage. GEICO and Progessive and other companies have bombarded the tv with advertisements about how people save $500 per year by switching to progressive or call Gottago and save 15%, so people don't consider coverage anymore; its all about the price. A few months ago I got a phone call from someone with geico. She identified herself and said he had my customer on the line and that my customer wanted to cancel her coverage because she had bought it with geico. I asked my customer why she wanted to change. She said because she got full coverage with towing and rental for less money than her coverage with me. I asked mrs geico what liability limits she quoted. In a very huffy rude tone she said, 25/50/25. I said that interesting, mrs. doe, not real name, has 50/100/50 limits with my company. I then said did you give her uninsured motorists. Mrs geico said yes. I said what limits. Mrs geico said 25/50/25. I said thats interesting my coverage if 50/100/50, so you saved her money but you cut her coverage in half. Geico needs to give mrs doe a letter stating that you reduced her coverage so you agree that if one person is hurt in an accident instead of paying 25,000 you agree to pay 50,000 and if more than one person is hurt you agree to pay 100,000 instead of 50,000 and for any property damaged you agree to pay 50,000 instead of 25,000. Ms geico said oh no we can't do that. I said but you saved her money so you need to pay the limits she has on her current policy. I then asked mrs geico how much would they pay per day for rental car coverage and she said $20.00 per day. I said thats interesting too, she has $30.00 per day with us. I then asked mrs geico what her rate was and she said $700.00 every six months. I said hummm, thats $1,400 per year but mrs doe is only paying my company $1,200 per year for twice the coverage. Mrs doe spoke up and saqid Mr. Hall, please don't cancel my policy. This is a long story but is shows that my insured didn't pay any attention to the coverage she had but was looking only for a lower rate. And the geico rep was unethical and unprofessional because she didn't care about the coverage she just wanted to make a sale. This is why I hate geico. They have never been trained to determine the coverage someone needs and make recommendations. They just quote the minimum to have a lower rate and make the sale. They have done this to so many people and should be sued if they reduce someone's coverage and the insured has an accident and isn't covered properly. But they don't care. They will never see or talk to the person again. I have to look my insured's in the eye and explain what I do. I can't hide.

Another thing to look at is PIP (Personal Injury Protection). I have Progressive, and my policy had $1000 PIP coverage when I had my little motorcycle accident in June. It's exhausted now - had wrist surgery 5 weeks ago - over $6000 for that alone. My work insurance is covering it for now, and their arbitration team will go after the girl's insurance (Farmers) to get reimbursed after we settle (it was her fault). I'm fortunate to have insurance through my job that will cover the difference in the mean time. I'll be putting 25,000 PIP on my policy when I get back on the road. My wife has arthritis and can't ride for more than a half hour at a time - aside from that, she won't ride with me at all now because we don't have any medical insurance on her.

Make sure you have as much PIP as you can get!

Doug

Seems like the insurance companies should not be allowed to sell insurance that doesn't meet state requirements. I bought this new to me van October 1st and called my insurance agent and changed and upgraded with the same company. So last week I went on line and got quotes from the so called inexpensive companies. All were more money then American Fellowship Mutual BUT progressive asked what I was paying now. After I told them they came back with a price $1.00 cheaper but the insurance didn't even meet Michigan minimal requirements. Why would I want to be under-insured to save a dollar? Hope everyone with progressive checks their policies.

Hey ic23b,

That's why I wouldn't buy insurance without an agent. The person on the other end of the toll free number knows they will never talk with you or see you again so they might tell you anything. They might have given you a quote that is $1.00 lower but they couldn't issue a policy below the state minimums. The territory manager with progressive told me they have many more complaints about inaccurate rates through their direct marketing than they do with agents.

Hey ic23b,

That's why I wouldn't buy insurance without an agent. The person on the other end of the toll free number knows they will never talk with you or see you again so they might tell you anything. They might have given you a quote that is $1.00 lower but they couldn't issue a policy below the state minimums. The territory manager with progressive told me they have many more complaints about inaccurate rates through their direct marketing than they do with agents.

It was on line and I had my policy in my hand comparing it to the one they e-mailed me. The first quote they e-mailed me had the same coverage as my policy. (on line quotes they have you fill in the figures off your policy) They were $78.00 a month over priced. The second quote e-mailed me was $1.00 a month cheaper with the lower coverage. There was a "click here to accept policy" spot, so I assumed that if I would of "clicked" they would of issued it.

I agree, stick with an agent.

• 2 months later...

Here is another little tid bit I also have Geico full coverage extra coverage for 5 grand in add ons. Last year the wife totalled her bike. They sent an agent out and totalled the bike. Well folks they did pay Geico,s bike policy,s are actually underwritten by Progressive who makes the payment, also if the bike is totaled they only pay 10 cents on the dollar for all the extras you add to the bike. Considering that generally if you wreck one its totaled any way so all the xtra insurance you purchase is a waste of your money but they don,t tell you that.

Just something else to know, I don,t know if all the carriers are the same but imagine so.

Revoltin development aint it:confused24:

Foremost Insurance makes that clear up front. "Uninsrd/Underinsd Motorists BI" is the title of the catagory. Also Bodily Injury Liability (including Passenger Liability) up to $250,000/$500,000. Many other insurance company one has to pay extra to cover the m/c passenger. I'll have to ask about the trailer for I do have a trailer but am still looking for a trailer hitch.

I've been with the same insurance company for quite some time now and have never had an issue with this. Maybe I'm lucky, but my agent and I discuss what kind of coverage I THINK I need/want, then he makes suggestions accordingly. The under/un insured covereage is something that I had mentioned and he said not only does he highly recommended it (despite the spike in the premium) he told me that a good amount of folks dont' know about it or insist that it isn't necessary for them, blah blah blah, but the agent is the first one they come to when something happens and they want a pay out even though they didn't have the appropriate coverage.

Regardless -- Good call on getting this info out there for anyone that may not realize whether they have it or not.

For what it is worth, I usually adjust my life insurance policy before I take a log bike trip too - just in case.

Lilbeev,

I can vouch for the fact that some typically deny that coverage then become angry when they don't have it and need it.:bang head:

I do have a question. After my last accident getting hit by ****head with only min insurance again. Lawyers claim there is not enough in these things to make it worth their while!! That kind of ticked me so I didn't tell them I have under and uninsured. Not catching me twice and the story on my not having it according to my insurance company still makes me so mad I can't even talk about it. My question is if I have gotten his insurance to agree to give up what little his policy is for will that effect my underinsured in any way. I know thaey will count that amount towards any settlement but will it effect it any other way? Understand?? To get this from his insurance company I have to sign a release in which he claims he was not at fault. He is a lying MF and I got pics to prove it. Crossed lanes and hit me headon while drunk. Deputy let him get away without testing him!! What I'm trying to get out here is if I settle withhis Insurance does that effect my underinsured coverage? Also I have two polices with this company. There is a law that I can stack these so I would have double coverage. My insurance company is already squawking that they don't think I can do this. I can't find a law that says I can't. I'm fighting all I can with this and time is getting to be a factor. I hateto have to go back to the Lawyers that said it wasn't worth their time.

You made some good points Condor. Most people don't look at their coverage until they have a claim and get upset because they didn't have the proper coverage. I used to get upset when I would see people on this site talk about the cheap insurance they have. You need to make sure you have the proper coverage and then get the best rate available for that coverage. GEICO and Progessive and other companies have bombarded the tv with advertisements about how people save $500 per year by switching to progressive or call Gottago and save 15%, so people don't consider coverage anymore; its all about the price. A few months ago I got a phone call from someone with geico. She identified herself and said he had my customer on the line and that my customer wanted to cancel her coverage because she had bought it with geico. I asked my customer why she wanted to change. She said because she got full coverage with towing and rental for less money than her coverage with me. I asked mrs geico what liability limits she quoted. In a very huffy rude tone she said, 25/50/25. I said that interesting, mrs. doe, not real name, has 50/100/50 limits with my company. I then said did you give her uninsured motorists. Mrs geico said yes. I said what limits. Mrs geico said 25/50/25. I said thats interesting my coverage if 50/100/50, so you saved her money but you cut her coverage in half. Geico needs to give mrs doe a letter stating that you reduced her coverage so you agree that if one person is hurt in an accident instead of paying 25,000 you agree to pay 50,000 and if more than one person is hurt you agree to pay 100,000 instead of 50,000 and for any property damaged you agree to pay 50,000 instead of 25,000. Ms geico said oh no we can't do that. I said but you saved her money so you need to pay the limits she has on her current policy. I then asked mrs geico how much would they pay per day for rental car coverage and she said $20.00 per day. I said thats interesting too, she has $30.00 per day with us. I then asked mrs geico what her rate was and she said $700.00 every six months. I said hummm, thats $1,400 per year but mrs doe is only paying my company $1,200 per year for twice the coverage. Mrs doe spoke up and saqid Mr. Hall, please don't cancel my policy. This is a long story but is shows that my insured didn't pay any attention to the coverage she had but was looking only for a lower rate. And the geico rep was unethical and unprofessional because she didn't care about the coverage she just wanted to make a sale. This is why I hate geico. They have never been trained to determine the coverage someone needs and make recommendations. They just quote the minimum to have a lower rate and make the sale. They have done this to so many people and should be sued if they reduce someone's coverage and the insured has an accident and isn't covered properly. But they don't care. They will never see or talk to the person again. I have to look my insured's in the eye and explain what I do. I can't hide.

That is exactly how Geico wanted to save me 15%. When I asked to increase the limits to match my current policy limits Geico said that their policy limits could not be changed to meet my current policy limits. So I said that you can only save me 15% by lowering my coverage limits. Agent agreed. The premium was only a few dollars less for a lot less coverage. Bottom line is premium rates can only be compared by exactly the same coverage limits otherwise you will likely be disappointed. Geico is a perfect example to that kind of sales technique. :2cents:

I do have a question. After my last accident getting hit by ****head with only min insurance again. Lawyers claim there is not enough in these things to make it worth their while!! That kind of ticked me so I didn't tell them I have under and uninsured. Not catching me twice and the story on my not having it according to my insurance company still makes me so mad I can't even talk about it. My question is if I have gotten his insurance to agree to give up what little his policy is for will that effect my underinsured in any way. I know thaey will count that amount towards any settlement but will it effect it any other way? Understand?? To get this from his insurance company I have to sign a release in which he claims he was not at fault. He is a lying MF and I got pics to prove it. Crossed lanes and hit me headon while drunk. Deputy let him get away without testing him!! What I'm trying to get out here is if I settle withhis Insurance does that effect my underinsured coverage? Also I have two polices with this company. There is a law that I can stack these so I would have double coverage. My insurance company is already squawking that they don't think I can do this. I can't find a law that says I can't. I'm fighting all I can with this and time is getting to be a factor. I hateto have to go back to the Lawyers that said it wasn't worth their time.

PM Sent

I could be wrong, but I don't think so. If you settle for the offending party's limits in essence what your saying is the policy limits are agreeable. If you do have under insured coverage this might negate it. If you've maxed out the guys coverage then the under insured will kick in from your policy. I think you'd still need to take the guy to court and let them put a total value of your loss. Once it's on record you can go after your insurance co to cough up the difference...

I'm also surprised that a lawyer would turn down a possible deep pockets case. When the policy's out of coverage, you can go after the Bar for letting the guy get that drunk, the Sheriff for not doing his job... heck, the maker of the guy's truck because they didn't install a breatalizer.... :) You may not win anything but I bet you could get a lot of nuisance settlement offers....

Edited by Condor

My two cents input is simple. No matter who your with, how good your rates are or used to be, no matter what your record, good bad or middle of the road, shop your insurance, oranges for oranges every few years. I got lazy about doing it for quite a long time and when I found out how bad I was getting raped I cussed myself something awful for falling down on the job of taking care of business. Insurance companies are just like any other business out to make a profit, and the highest profit that can be made no matter who they stick it too. Its called good old free Enterprise American greed and its up to YOU to protect yourself. :scratchchin:

Tell me about it!!!:yikes: Insuring two bikes to ride in the states:doh: Trying to understand the different jargon. Insured with Fernet Insurance Brokers.

Hey Annie I'm not sure if this needs to be said(or has already been mentioned in some other thread) but it might be wise to also buy a little medical insurance before you head here like many of our Canadian brethren do. No socialized medicine in the U.S. and ( God forbid) anything was to happen to you or Quickstep it could get mighty pricey.

Get insurance with reputable company and a GOOD agent. This is what I didn't do to start with. A good agent with guide you a bad one can really screw you and they are out there. And keep your policies where you can refer to them. Mine went in the trash and when I went back to agent to find out about my coverage I found i didn't have what I should have had. Like many I never considered Insurance a real concern til I got nailed. And it cost me big time. With a Good Agent this forced retirement would be a lot easier.

Thanks for advice Slick.

• 1 month later...

I'm due next month to renew my Ins. policy. GMAC has sent me the paperwork for next year. My buddy whom is a MISER to say the least, but truly investigates everything he does as far as Ins. Both him and myself carry Nationwide on home, auto and boat, plus life. Didn't have MC on it as when I bought the bike, they were too HIGH! Now that everyone is jumping on the MC bandwagon, my buddy told me that he had a great policy and was amazed at their price.

So I called Nationwide for a quote. Supplying them with the coverage I had with GMAC, Nationwide was $115, plus change cheaper. This puts me at $331.56 a year for full coverage, 100/300/100. $500 deductible. I have additional medical coverage elsewhere. I asked them about the BEERCART and they told me liability coverage only as they understood it. Our agent is calling the main office to clarify what is all covered on the BEERCART other than liability. Since I was inquiring about the trailer, the agent (female) said that her husband and her ride and they were looking at pulling a trailer in the future. So thinking that she will be looking deeper into the subject. She's supposed to call me back this Monday.

BEER30

Hey Annie I'm not sure if this needs to be said(or has already been mentioned in some other thread) but it might be wise to also buy a little medical insurance before you head here like many of our Canadian brethren do. No socialized medicine in the U.S. and ( God forbid) anything was to happen to you or Quickstep it could get mighty pricey.

I always buy extra medical before i go into the states, its cheap and its necessary if something goes wrong. I think last time I bought it for 2 weeks it amounted to 50 bucks for half million limit. (some people buy less because the insurance companies usually air ambulance us home within a day of being seriously ill because its so much cheaper to fix us all up at home in Canada.) You might need more because they cant air you home as quickly.

just an example of costs for you, My dad had a mild heartattack in Mesa AZ 15 years ago , was in hospital for 2 days was airlifted home and the bill was still 50k and they didnt do the surgery, he had it done almost the moment the plane hit the ground here though....

Brian