IGNORED

Getting custom routes into Garmin nuvi 765T?

a1bummer

Hi Guys,

I've been trying to put some custom routes into my nuvi 765T. I can do it by scrolling through the GPS itself and reordering the points manually, but that takes forever on the small screen. Especially with my big fingers! So I tried using Mapquest to put my custom routes into it. Selecting and/or editing my route on Mapquest works great. But when I "Send" the custom route to my GPS, it comes out as the route the GPS selects for me and NOT the route I laid out using Mapquest. I'm using Firefox and even added the "Garmin Communicator Plugin" to my browser, but no luck. Anybody here know a simple or easier way to get my custom routes into my GPS? Software, website, etc.

Thanks, Bill

I was using a 785T and found that Mapsource from Garmin was excellent. I now have a Zumo 660 and it works exactly the same for routes. I do find that I have to make sure I'm using the same maps on the computer as in the unit. I also put a waypoint in pretty much every intersection that I want to make a turn. There are a couple of places where the maps think it is gravel but I know it is paved so I have to put in a few more waypoints to make it take those roads. Otherwise it works perfectly.

I am using a Nuvi 550 and had the same problems as you. I finally found that you use waypoints at places that will force the gps navigation to take the road you desire. For example say there is a low road and a high road to get to the same place (sound familiar?). If you place a waypoint somewhere on the low road, the gps will be forced into using the low road. BEWARE that destination miles remaining etc seem to be to the waypoint, and then reset after that. I once used a little town as a waypoint, and then forgot I had done that. Pretty embarrased when I led 5 other bikes into this little town, just to turn around on main street and head back out to the highway. Duh.

Bummer,

Really glad that you started this thread. I also have a 765T and adding a route, via mapquest is one of the things that I haven't tackled yet. I'll try it using the info here.

Not to hijack the thread, but I can't figure out how to load songs on to my SD cards in the mp3 format. It always ends up in the default one.

Thanks,

Steve

Bummer,

Really glad that you started this thread. I also have a 765T and adding a route, via mapquest is one of the things that I haven't tackled yet. I'll try it using the info here.

Not to hijack the thread, but I can't figure out how to load songs on to my SD cards in the mp3 format. It always ends up in the default one.

Thanks,

Steve

When you put your mp3's onto the SD card, you can't put them into any folders. If you have them in a "music" folder or the like, the Garmin won't see the mp3 files.

I'm giving that Tyre software a try. Thanks for the link.

Bill

I believe I have the answer to your problem. I dealt with the same issue with my 780. Then I started using the Harley Ride planner. It works really well in that you drag and drop your waypoints and adjust them on the route planner before you load it to the Garmin.

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/ridePlanner.jsp?HDCWPSession=C0pCJhQXgFK3N0fqgdtmmV3j2Q2MGy42Xj8QqFkQtJ14hvNFZ4M4!1296643418!674895132&locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

Give it a try and if you have any questions, pm me and I'll try to help you out. It's been a while since I did it, but the only thing I had trouble with after loading one was where it put the file in the Garmin. Once I figured that out, piece of cake.

Ken

I believe I have the answer to your problem. I dealt with the same issue with my 780. Then I started using the Harley Ride planner. It works really well in that you drag and drop your waypoints and adjust them on the route planner before you load it to the Garmin.

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/ridePlanner.jsp?HDCWPSession=C0pCJhQXgFK3N0fqgdtmmV3j2Q2MGy42Xj8QqFkQtJ14hvNFZ4M4!1296643418!674895132&locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

Give it a try and if you have any questions, pm me and I'll try to help you out. It's been a while since I did it, but the only thing I had trouble with after loading one was where it put the file in the Garmin. Once I figured that out, piece of cake.

Ken

Note that he said drop and drag 'waypoints'. I have used a lot of programs and some have drop and drag features that are really slick, but unless you make a waypoint to force it to take the particular road or street, the gps will calculate it own route by the fastest or shortest etc.

Cheers

Ken

Thanks Ken, that worked nice and slick. Just the way it should be.

I also tried that Mapsource from Garmin, but it doesn't show any of the back roads on the map, just the main roads and highways. Which didn't make any sense to me.

Bill

I use the Harley rideplaner also works great on my 885T

Ken

I also tried that Mapsource from Garmin, but it doesn't show any of the back roads on the map, just the main roads and highways. Which didn't make any sense to me.

Bill

I'm glad you found a method that works. Didn't Mapsource come with the maps that are in your GPS? Did you use the "Detail" pull down to select "Highest"? (Also, View -> Map Detail -> Highest) Sometimes minor roads are not shown at Medium Detail.

I use Mapsource all the time on my [different model] Garmin, and it works great. I subscribed to the map update plan so I get 4 updates a year, with updated maps and points of interest. *shrug*

Dave

Bill

If you are only getting main hwys then you only have the base map. You need to actually download the complete map. That can be done when upgrading the maps on your unit. BUT you need to choose to do it. It is not done automatically.

• 2 years later...

Symptoms: You transfer a custom route to your Garmin nuvi but it doesn't appear in the Custom Routes list.

Cause: Garmin forgot to mention that you need to "import" the transferred file before you can use it.

Solution:

1. Get the route on your PC. Either download a GPX file or create your own custom route using a tool like Garmin's BaseCamp (replaced MapSource in 2012). Free download here: http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp

2. Using BaseCamp, transfer the custom route to your GPS. You can save it to the devices internal memory or to a SD memory card in the device.

3. On the GPS device, click Tools > My Data > Import Route From File. Select the route(s) you transfered in Step 2 and click Import. Your route(s) is/are now ready to use via the Where To? > Custom Routes feature.

Enjoy!!

+1 on TYRE. I find mapsource or Base Camp a major PIA. I cant get a route plotted with either one. I have used Microsoft Streets and trips for years and printed out the map and instructions and put them in my tank bag. But unfortunatly Microsoft format and the Garmin dont play nice together. So I had to find something else and the folks over on a GPs site turned me on to the TYRE deal. Its easy to understand how to put point in, works with Google maps so you can actually see pics of where your planning on going. Only thing I wish it had was something so you could plot your trip day by including stops. If you can make the mapsource stuff work more power to you I guess, I just never could make heads or tails.

Symptoms: You transfer a custom route to your Garmin nuvi but it doesn't appear in the Custom Routes list.

Cause: Garmin forgot to mention that you need to "import" the transferred file before you can use it.

Solution:

1. Get the route on your PC. Either download a GPX file or create your own custom route using a tool like Garmin's BaseCamp (replaced MapSource in 2012). Free download here: http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp

2. Using BaseCamp, transfer the custom route to your GPS. You can save it to the devices internal memory or to a SD memory card in the device.

3. On the GPS device, click Tools > My Data > Import Route From File. Select the route(s) you transfered in Step 2 and click Import. Your route(s) is/are now ready to use via the Where To? > Custom Routes feature.

Enjoy!!

This is how I do and I use Mapquest. The only down fall to Mapquest is if you do not put in an addy and just use a town it will take you to the center of that town. I use towns to make my routes then drag the ending location of the town to where I want to make a turn, if you don't it will go to the center of that town and return you to where you want to turn.

On the importing deal. Once its in "custom routes" the GPS will only allow 10 I think. Usualy a substansual amount. It will still store them in the "my data" but just not accessable until you make room by deleting. Only been a problem once for me. This past Oct the wife and I spent a week in NC in mountians. I had places we wanted to go and of course I didnt want to travel all main highways. SO I had to do some rearagning. Overall I think its a very good unit. Problem is anything they produce now dont have MP#, aux out or input unless its the high dollar "motorcycle" units.