IGNORED

Cold ride in today

Flyinfool

I think I might have found my comfort limit for riding in the cold.

This morning for the 1 hour ride to work it was 38°F and I got to work before sunrise.

Tomorrow morning it is supposed to be in the low 30s or high 20s, I'll give it one more chance, but I will get out my big orange Gortex hunting coat and bibs. Not sure yet what I will use for gloves, If I get much heavier than what I wore today (my fingers were cold and numb) I do not know if it will impair my ability to operate the buttons safely.

I know that I can easily dress warm for my feet and body, it is only my hands that seem to be the issue.

The bike was not to thrilled with the temps either but I'll start another thread for that.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=527159#post527159

:snow2: Its a comin! :snow2:

Edited by Flyinfool

Get a pair of these, or similar and it makes a world of difference.

http://www.activheat.com/index_files/weightlessgloveliners.htm

Wear under gauntlets or similar and your fingers will be toasty.

They also sell a heated vest that works great.

Like you I ride in before sunrise and it's cold. Biggest problem is getting up/ready in time to don all the dang extra gear. Often, I wimp out and opt for the heated seats of my Dodge Ram.

Or since my ride is about 12 miles, I sometimes just tough it out and arrive colder.

FWIW, I went to REI's climbing guy, figuring "who know more about the cold / wind than moutain climber folks?". I told him I was a year round MC commuter and at his suggestion I bought a pair of lightweight mountain climber mittens (they have wind-stop material in layers). MUCH cheaper and less issue prone than electric and with some small cotton glove liners I have had toasty mitts riding to work at 22 F. My thighs (even in over pants) were COLD, but my hands were not.

I'm with Jeff on this one. It's my fingers that get cold.

I'd like to know the brand and model of climbing mitten you are talking about. I have always been on a quest for something to keep my fingers warm. My latest was to buy the best ice fishing gloves on the market--still not enough for those cold days.

Jeff, tomorrow, mid 60s-I'll be out after 10:00am

Steve

Just hooked up the pigtails to the batts today on both scoots for our heated gear (Gerbin gloves and vest). Heading out early on Saturday for the mountains in GA, NC and TN, and it's supposed to be touching the 30's for awhile at least. I hate riding with cold fingers. I'm OK with everything else, but the digits have to be warm or I don't go.

:cold: