I was coming home from work tonight on the freeway, when all of a sudden it was like I put my foot on the brakes. I started to slow even with more throttle. I got off the exit and stopped at a light. Pulled over and looked all the way around the bike in the semi-darkness of a gas station. It had smoke coming from underneath but no oil or anything. definite burning rubber smell but I couldn't see anything stuck somewhere. started it back up and it revved fine. pulled out and it ran just like normal. when I got home I shined a flashlight all the way around and can't find anything. 86 Venture with 28,000 miles. I replaced the brakes and tires about 1500 miles ago. Rear end was lubed about 5,000 miles ago and the oil changed last month. I wonder about a dragging rear brake, but the peddle felt fine and I pushed down hard on both front and rears before stopping. Anyone ever have this problem? I worried I might be melting a clutch but I would think that it wouldn't go away like that

Hey Brian,

You mentioned that you just redid the brakes. A common problem on the First Gen. VR's is too much Brake Fluid in the rear Master Cylinder. The Brake Fluid expands because of the heat from the exhaust collector and applies the rear brake as you are riding down the hi way. Check the rear brake rotor to see if it is a "bit blue" from excessive heat, (you might also feel a "pulse" in the rear brake pedal from a warped rotor) If you remove the plug bolt to the rear Master Cylinder and the Brake Fluid is pretty much right up to the plug hole, then the M/C is over filled! I use a syringe, but you can use a suction bulb that you would use on a baby to clear his nose to remove an ounce or two of brake fluid for expansion. Hopefully. you haven't warped the rear rotor to badly or cooked the seals in the rear caliper and the removal of the Brake Fluid will solve the problem. If you need a rear rotor, PM me. :thumbsup2:

Earl

Just purchased an '86 earlier this month. Started commuting on it on Monday and low and behold I had a slight burning smell coming into work this morning. Just wondering if this might be the culprit. I'll be checking it out when I get home this evening.

Also Skydoc,

I just sent you a couple questions through PM about your upgrades to your braking system.

could be , everyone is "barking up the wrong tree", here.

i have smelled a LOT of overheated breaks in my time, but their never was the "definite smell of burning rubber".

could it be that a piece of road gator might have gotten caught in between the tire and the frame?

it could have dislodged itself after it was worn down enough.

then again, i wasn't there.

just jt:confused24:

JT had it right, after getting it up on the center stand tonight, the was a piece of highway snake up in there. I must have rocked it back enough to stop rubbing after I stopped. little bitty thing but it sure scared me. Awhile back I saw one come of a semi in front of me. If I had been 50 yards closer it mighta ruined my day.