IGNORED

Run Turn Brake LED - problem

Months back, a lighting guy installed a Signal Dynamics module and LED's on my 2006 RSTD in my rear signal lights to make the Run/Turn/Brake. Really bright and works perfect.

Last week he installed the same module & LED's in my 2009 Venture and gets different results.

When you hit either turn signal, the other side lights up bright as a brake. When you turn off the turn signal, both lights stay on brake for 10 seconds then go back to run.

Also, when you press the brake, and let go, the brake lights stay on for same 10 seconds then go back to run. Signal Dynamics says it's due to the 4 way flasher unit of the Venture and has no cure. The RSTD does not have 4 way flashers.

The tail light (a 100 light LED) operates correctly.

He is going to try a Badlands module to see if he gets different results.

But if it's due to the hazzards, may hit same snag.

Anyone else hit this snag. Basically when you trip the turn or brake, the brake lights stay on for 10 seconds after you release. This could fool a following bike into thinking you are riding brakes or just stupid. Probably the latter.

Thanks,

Mike G in SC

I have the same signals on my 04 and have no problems, i wired them myself. I had to play "trial and error" to find all the right wires but it was well worth it. I would suggest starting the wiring over and give it another shot! Let me know if you need any help

Quote: Last week he installed the same module & LED's in my 2009 Venture and gets different results.

My first question for clarity is:

Did he (or you) remove your old DYNAMIC module set from your OLD bike and install it on the NEW bike?....or did he install the same TYPE of DYNAMIC MODULE on your NEW bike?

IF it is the same module (removed from old bike and installed on new bike) then only ONE of two things can be wrong.

(1) He made a mistake when he wired it up on your new bike (which I feel he did)..or

(2) The 09 bike is wired differently then your older bike (which I truly doubt).

IF..he installed a "same type of module" on your new bike then the NEW module must be wired differently then the older installed module..

Sounds like it could be mis-wired to me. If you can't get it to work and need another, I suggest the Kuryakyn 4613. This is a direct plug and play for the RSV and what I have on mine. Kuryakyn doesn't show the 4613 is for the RSV for some reason, but it works on the second gens.

Sorry, clarity,,, he installed the same model of module on the new bike.

Old bike still has his previous module and works great.

I did pull both seats and follow each wire from the both modules to the bikes.

Each one goes to the same wire on both bikes.

I will send him a link to this thread. Perhaps the Kuryakyn would be best,,, he is not fond of their electronics but if it will work, okay.

For locals, this is the Light-em-up guy (Mike C) that does lighting at the flea market on Saturdays. Knowledgeable guy, and trying like mad to make it right.

Maybe I could figure a way to get both bikes to him for verification.

Thanks, Mike G

Mike, did he put in the part (can't think of the item, some kind resistor when converting to LEDS)? I have one on my signal dymanic leds turn signals.

also here are the wire color codes:

Blue = Run

Black = Ground

Yellow = Brake

Brown = Left Turn

Green = Right Turn

George,

Yes, I believe he did put in the load equalizer, along with the TriStar XP.

This kit: http://signaldynamics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=41&category_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77&vmcchk=1&Itemid=77

Thanks for the wire codes. I will double check under the seat.

Mike G.

If you are certain he wired it to the same wires on both bikes... then I am certain the light itself is wired differently.

I would disconnect each wire except the ground. One wire at a time, hook it up and see if the light works as it should then go on to the next wire until you find which wire is not correct.

Problem solved. Extra component was in the mix.

Bike had a trailer hitch setup that had a modular connector within, wired from the tail light and tucked away by the fender. The module served it's own purpose but apparently can't work with other components.

For now, we disconnected it. Can rewire the hitch later.

I thought it was just a plug but as soon as Mike C saw it, like I said, problem solved.

Now, those are bright lights!!!!

Also, Mike Crider, "Light-Em-Up", really stuck with this. The man don't give up.

So, if you are local to mid-SC, good man for lighting. Check the BarnYard flea market on Saturdays or PM me for his cell. Thought I should say so for the time he invested.

Thanks all for input,

Mike G in SC