IGNORED

Taurus

Monty

Guest scarylarry
Larry, where do you live? I live in Hopkinsville and shop up at Whittakers quite often. Good prices and great service. Maybe we can hook up, check out the guns, then ride to a meal.:dancefool:

Later...

I'm in Murfreesboro Tenn... I spent a weekend in Diamond Lake CG.. there is a 4 way intersection leading leading into the CG and of all places a beer joint on one corner and cross the street a gun shop, only in Ky right?

Do you know of the area I'm speaking of?

Anyway they are huge and prices are great to WHAT I have compare too...

As for a ride I am commited for the next 2 weekends after that I'm free

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you have brought up an issue that I have to deal with. Over the past few months, I have gone completely blind in my right eye. I haven't tried shooting since losing that vision and will have to figure out what the best solution is for me. I know that I can continue to shoot right handed but use my left eye to aim or I can try shooting left handed. I plan to try it both ways and just see which feels better to me.

I still forget sometimes that I am now blind in that eye. I was at a friends house the a few days ago and he had just picked up a set of HD mufflers and we were wondering if they had the catalytic converter in them. The first thing I did was pick one of them up and hold it up to my right eye to find out if I could see all the way through it. Nope...I couldn't...not with THAT eye. :doh:

I was trained to shoot with both eyes open. The dominent eye will naturally line up the sights. Hopefully when you get a chance to shoot your left will do a good job on its own.

How is the riding going without the depth perception of having two eyes?

I was trained to shoot with both eyes open. The dominent eye will naturally line up the sights. Hopefully when you get a chance to shoot your left will do a good job on its own.

How is the riding going without the depth perception of having two eyes?

The riding is OK...but unfortunately..for several reasons we just didn't get much riding in this summer.

Don, how much are the Milleniums up there? I saw a couple of new ones today for around $399.

There is a place about 40 minutes from me that has them for $369.00. I'm not getting one though. I went this afternoon to buy one and they had it right there in the case but I was advised by three sales people there to avoid it. They said that they have sent back more of this model for various issues than any other gun they have ever stocked. This was the second gun shop that told me the same thing. The first one didn't have one in stock so I didn't put much faith in what they said. I just figured that they were trying to sell me something else.

So, I almost bought a S&W MP45 but just couldn't make myself do it. They sell the Smith and the Glock 30 for $559.00. I have shot the Glock 30 and really do like it. It is also a bit smaller than the Smith. BUT...they were sold out of the Glock. :( Once again I came home without one. There is another shop close by that sells the Glock for $20.00 more. I make visit them tomorrow if I have time.

Edited by Freebird

My wife looked that one over closey for her CCW, but ended up going with a Walther. I've shot many Taurus and had no problems. I currently carry a KelTec P11. It is the most dependable firearm I have ever owned. Over 2000 rounds and never a misfire or jam. Also very accurate for a small weapon. I like the KT because no safety, just DA only. Saves time when its needed.

Good luck and let us know how the 709 performs.

J

Now you have brought up an issue that I have to deal with. Over the past few months, I have gone completely blind in my right eye. I haven't tried shooting since losing that vision and will have to figure out what the best solution is for me. I know that I can continue to shoot right handed but use my left eye to aim or I can try shooting left handed. I plan to try it both ways and just see which feels better to me.

I still forget sometimes that I am now blind in that eye. I was at a friends house the a few days ago and he had just picked up a set of HD mufflers and we were wondering if they had the catalytic converter in them. The first thing I did was pick one of them up and hold it up to my right eye to find out if I could see all the way through it. Nope...I couldn't...not with THAT eye. :doh:

I have experienced similar issues with sight as I've got older. Nothing like your issues though I know. I have seriously considered a Judge with the 410 shot shells. Wouldn't think I would have to be that accurate.

I did look into the Judge and did a lot of research on it. After reading quite a lot of range tests, I have decided that it is NOT a good gun for self defense. I think it's a neat concept and would be great for keeping around for snakes and etc., the tests show that it is simply not a great weapon for personal protection.

I'm not concerned about hitting a target. I just know that I will need to do some shooting to re-train myself. I have no doubt that even right now, I would be accurate enough to get the job done.

Well, it is done. I went this morning with the intention of buying a Glock 30. I liked it because of the high capacity (10 rounds). When I got there though, I ended up comparing it to the Glock 36 and even though the 36 doesn't hold as many rounds, it is quite a lot thinner and would be a much better choice for concealed carry should I ever decide that I want to do that. So, I came home with a new Glock 36. I shot it and the 30 a few months ago at a gun range in Toledo, OH so I already knew how they shot. It was just a tough decision between the 30 and the 36 but I am happy with the choice that I made.

I own the PT145SS. It operates with no issues, the only problem I have is that it shoots 10" low at 10 yards. There is no elevation adjustment on the rear sight. May have to go with after market sights. Recoil is manageable for a .45.

Reducing the height of the front site will raise the point of impact. With fixed sight this is trial and error method with no easy way to go backward so don't get too aggressive with the file.

I agree but 10" low at 10 yards is excessive to me. I would be shooting it off some sand bags and even letting somebody else try it to verify that it's not something that you are doing and if it is truly shooting that low, I think I would be trying to return it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally took a few minutes today to shoot the new Glock. I used to shoot OK but haven't shot much in more than 20 years and having gone blind in my "aiming eye", I was a bit concerned about being able to hit ANYTHING.

So, I stepped out in the back yard today. I drew a 6" circle on the back of a box and put it up next to a dead tree for a backstop. I didn't measure off the distance before hand but did after I shot and it was almost exactly 36 ft. So, this is a 6" circle shot at 36 ft.

Now I'm NOT bragging because I am fully aware that this is not great shooting. But at least I am now reassured that I can adequately use the gun should I need to. This was shot from the Glock 36. For those who may not know, the 36 is a compact .45 caliber with a 3.78" barrel. Pretty small gun for a .45.

This week I bought and installed a Pearce +1 magazine extender which means that the capacity of this gun is now 7 + 1 in the barrel. I only had 7 in it and that's all I shot today. Again, I KNOW that this isn't great shooting but I don't think it was so bad for the first time shooting a new gun after not shooting more than a couple of times over the past 20 years or so and having recently lost the vision in the eye that I used to aim with.

The ammo used was just a box of relatively inexpensive PMC Bronze 230 grain FMJ.

OK already...I know...enough excuses...here is the result. uh...did I mention that the sun was in my eye and that ..........

Well, it is done. I went this morning with the intention of buying a Glock 30. I liked it because of the high capacity (10 rounds). When I got there though, I ended up comparing it to the Glock 36 and even though the 36 doesn't hold as many rounds, it is quite a lot thinner and would be a much better choice for concealed carry should I ever decide that I want to do that. So, I came home with a new Glock 36. I shot it and the 30 a few months ago at a gun range in Toledo, OH so I already knew how they shot. It was just a tough decision between the 30 and the 36 but I am happy with the choice that I made.

I got my step-dad the Streamlight TLR-2 C4 LED/lazer for his Glock 22...he loves it. He doesn't have to worry bout aiming other than putting the red dot on what he wants to hit. It probably wouldn't work for a concealed weapon but for home defense I would recommend it to anyone. Easy to operate and with the LED version the batteries should last a while. Plus the LED is so much better than the standard steamlight bulb.

The also have the lazer thats built inside replacing the plastic rod inside the spring and uses the side release to activate it. I haven't played with one...on accuracy.

• 9 months later...
I just found a dealer that is a mile from my house, and I never knew he was there...lol. He has lotsa stuff. I am looking at AR-15 or Ruger Mini 14 next.:D

Where are you slinging the AR or Mini on the scoot? :stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

I have a LLama Mini Max 45 and a Tarus Millennium PT 140 Pro 40. cal. for my wife and I wanted to use it when I went for my CCL renewal. I had to forget that idea when we got to the range. Ever time I fired the weapon the mag would fall out. I had to send it back to the manufacturer to be re worked. Now it works fine. Great weapon now to get my wife to the CCL class. I love my Mini .45. It's just a short barrel copy of the 1911 version and a little easier to conceal in a shoulder holster.

Rick A. aka Sidecar

:Venture:

I have the Taurus .357 MAG Titanium revolver. (They do not make this model anymore)

Not particularly small but very light weight.

Just do not try to use any high performance ammo like Cor-Bon or Remington Premium.

Any high velocity round will cause gas etching of the Titanium cylinder face. The Gun came with a note attached to not use any ammo with less than a 125g bullet. Even the 125g bullets etched my cylinder face. So now I have to stick with heavy bullets.

Now that Wisconsin has finally passed a CC law, (effective Nov 1 2011) I may be in the market for a good CC gun. Next month they are supposed to release the "training" requirements to get the CCL. I will be taking whatever is necessary ASAP.

Now that Wisconsin has finally passed a CC law, (effective Nov 1 2011) I may be in the market for a good CC gun. Next month they are supposed to release the "training" requirements to get the CCL. I will be taking whatever is necessary ASAP.

Don't shoot your eye out.