IGNORED

Recomendations on thin style digital camera

dingy

Any one have a recommendation for a thin style digital camera in the $200 price range.

I would like to get one that has HD video recording capability.

I am not looking for an SLR type camera, would prefer the thin style, retractable lens would be fine.

We have a Minolta Dimage X1 that has quit working.

:photographing:

Gary

I have an older Casio Xlim,, And a Nikon Coolpix L20 10mp. the Casio is very thin and convenient to carry but the Nikon takes much better pictures.. They now have the L22 which is 12mp for right around $120, and the new Nikon Coolpix3000 12mp (almost as slim as the Casio) for about $150 and you can find the Coolpix S70 thin but a little larger with touch panel display for about $200.

Numbers 3 & 4 on Consumer Reports (sub-compact cameras)

#3 -Canon PowerShot SD940 IS ELPH

Price: $200

Summary: A 12-megapixel camera from Canon with a 2.6-inch LCD, 4X optical zoom, simulated image stabilizer .

Video quality rated "very good"

#4 - Casio Exilim EX-Z2000

Price: $190

Summary: A 14-megapixel camera from Casio with a 3-inch LCD, 5X optical zoom, simulated image stabilizer .

Video quality rated "good"

Edited by BigBear
mis-formatted

I recently (beginning of summer) got a Fuji Finepix F80 exr and it fits what you are looking for. I love it. Great camera. If you look around can get one for about $230. Does 720p HD video, 10x zoom with wide angle and 12 megapixels. Has lots of auto features as well as manual overrides. I buy all my cameras at Henrys (Canada) and I did some research. Had this camera in mind before I went to the store. Told them my price range and asked what was the best camera (their opinion) in that range. Without hesitation they showed me this camera.

Anyhow I believe it is a good choice in your price range.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/f/finepix_f80exr/

I have an older Casio Xlim,, And a Nikon Coolpix L20 10mp. the Casio is very thin and convenient to carry but the Nikon takes much better pictures.. They now have the L22 which is 12mp for right around $120, and the new Nikon Coolpix3000 12mp (almost as slim as the Casio) for about $150 and you can find the Coolpix S70 thin but a little larger with touch panel display for about $200.

:sign yeah that:

Got the Nikon from employer for job site pics. Takes awesome pics, and best part is easy to slip in pocket. I find it has replaced my personal 12x Canon cause it's smaller. Pros talk about having the camera when the lighting is right, like a pistol - no good if it's sitting home. Highly recommended. I'm sure the newer one is upgraded as mine is a couple years old. (8mp)

I probably wouldn't have bought it because of the large viewing screen on the back with no cover - the reason I liked the Canon as that has a flip cover, but after using it....no problem.

Bottom line is most of the new digitals are so good you can't go wrong. Find one that fits your hand and carries well. Good luck and post a lot of pics!

I'm not sure if Dingy does this or not but it sure would be nice to have a camera small enough that you could take a picture while riding your bike.

I normally strap tha camera around my left wrist and aim, but, you need a camera that has a really good view screen so that you can tell "when" it is truly in focus...

The little HP I have, has this really small rectangular box that lites up when button is pushed halfway and it acquires focus. Problem is you can't see it because of sun glare or just the fact its dimly lit. That results in blurry pictures.

Driving thru SD I missed a perfect 3 rainbows in a little valley. :250::bawling:

with my friends out front on their HDs.

well...

I gues it wasn't a total loss...:stickpoke:

Go to Costco and get one of the Panasonic Lumix ZS6 cameras, you will never regret the HD quality of the Video and the Great Zoom features! The quality is amazing and the 12X Optical Zoom is amazing! I think their on special for $249 and worth the extra cost you want to spend!

Larry M

Have been very pleased with the Canon SDXXXX IS Series, I'm on my second one, I went swimming with the 1st one. The video is HD. The IS (Image stabilization) makes all the difference in being able to take clear pictures.

I think the current model is SD1300 IS..12.1MP's, HD 720p video , it is around $150-170 and is smaller than a pack of smokes.

(I can't figure out how to post a link to this and not have it embed the video... ?) If you look at it on youtube you can change it to HD, or I'm sure you could just search youtube for the make/model of a camera you are interested in seeing vids from and you would see a lot of examples

Example of video from inside... (You have to switch it to 720p down at the bottom)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkfp0O51XN4]VIDEO HERE[/ame]

Edited by saltcreep

You going to get a ton of suggestions.... and here's one more. A Kodak CD82 12mp Easyshare. I just picked up one off WOOT for $39.95. I like it a lot and I've had some very expensive point-n-shoot digitals over the years. The only draw back, if you want to call it that, is that it doesn't have a rechargable battery. It takes AA's. I think it's a good thing as I don't need to baby sit a bunch of batts. Toss in a pack or two of AA's and your good to go. Run out and they can be found everywhere. With an SD card it takes video longer than I care to stand there. The images are terrific. Sharp and snappy. The image screen is one of the biggest I've run into so far. This thing is simple to run, and turns out high quality photography.

Since you said 'thin', I was wanting the same thing. Something that easily fits in you shirt pocket. I found the Sony DSC-TX1. Normally 299 but found at the local Best Buy for 172 on closeout. I've had several Sony's and always liked them. Haven't taken many pictures yet but so far looks good. As for size, about 1/2" thick, or about the same size as my blackberry. Check you local BB if you like as it still shows full price online. If they don't have one out ask them to check inventory, because the store I went to had them but none out on the shelves.

Here is a couple of videos taken with my Nikon L20

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDZaJ6Inkhc][/ame][ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mWO1OJp7XY]www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mWO1OJp7XY[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDZaJ6Inkhc]www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDZaJ6Inkhc[/ame]

I forgot to add that the Panasonic uses the Leica lens and also will focus auto while zooming! I think the 12X zoom feature is far more useful than big megapixels! Also, in the reviews the DMC-ZS3 has a better rating than the Cannon because of some of the features. I think they have a newer version out at Costco now, The DMC-ZS6 that will zoom to 18X optical in the Intelligent Auto Mode..These are great cameras and will fit in your shirt pocket!

Larry M

I forgot to add that the Panasonic uses the Leica lens and also will focus auto while zooming! I think the 12X zoom feature is far more useful than big megapixels! Also, in the reviews the DMC-ZS3 has a better rating than the Cannon because of some of the features. I think they have a newer version out at Costco now, The DMC-ZS6 that will zoom to 18X optical in the Intelligent Auto Mode..These are great cameras and will fit in your shirt pocket!

Larry M

What pray tell would you use 18X zoom for, and are you sure that's optical zoom, and not part digital??

What pray tell would you use 18X zoom for, and are you sure that's optical zoom, and not part digital??

Haven't seen this latest one but they do have smaller cameras up to 30x optical zoom - Panasonic and Canon being amongst the best although most of the newere ones are pretty good.

Longer zoom is absolutely a must for any wildlife shots.

Cheers

Eugene

Well evidently you've not done much scenery filming! It takes at least 3X in a camera to see what the human eye sees! I have the 12X Zoom and sometimes would like to be able to zoom even more, and, that IS Optical Zoom! The camera also has the Digital zoom of 48X but you loose quality with the Digital. When taking pictures of animals at a pretty far distance or anything else for that matter it's nice to be able to bring them in closer. And I do know the difference between Optical and Digital Zoom!

Larry M

Well evidently you've not done much scenery filming! It takes at least 3X in a camera to see what the human eye sees! I have the 12X Zoom and sometimes would like to be able to zoom even more, and, that IS Optical Zoom! The camera also has the Digital zoom of 48X but you loose quality with the Digital. When taking pictures of animals at a pretty far distance or anything else for that matter it's nice to be able to bring them in closer. And I do know the difference between Optical and Digital Zoom!

Larry M

Larry, if you can hold a camera steady a 30X, you're a three legged rock. BTW the human eye equivalent is 53mm and most digital cameras will start at a mild wide 32mm to mild telephoto, and the rest is handled with internal programing by cropping. The more pixels the more a camera can crop and get a reasonably sharp picture. And if you think you need a greater magnification to photograph scenery you aparently haven't taken many scenic images. Scenics are where a mild wides to mild telephotos shine. True a longer lens will help when shooting your favorite hummingbird or a rattle snake, but when it comes to the type of photography most of us do while touring it's wide angles 95% of the time.:photographing:

Bought a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W370 last night at Best Buy. $199.99

14.1 mega pixel

7x optical zoom

720 HD movie

3.0 inch screen

Camera has a combination of features which made it appealing.

It will take a series of shots about 1 second apart in 'Burst' mode.

It can take a panoramic shot of 180 degrees in 1 picture. Below is a shot of a soccer field from on end to the other. I was standing about 15 feet from side line. It looks somewhat like a fisheye lens, but without the distortion.

Has smile & blinking recognition.

With the high pixel #, I am able to zoom in on the subject & crop the picture on my computer, without much degradation.

Down side of large pixel count is the picture files are 4 to 5 meg in size when at 4320 x 3240 dpi.

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/00071sm.jpg

Larry, if you can hold a camera steady a 30X, you're a three legged rock. BTW the human eye equivalent is 53mm and most digital cameras will start at a mild wide 32mm to mild telephoto, and the rest is handled with internal programing by cropping. The more pixels the more a camera can crop and get a reasonably sharp picture. And if you think you need a greater magnification to photograph scenery you aparently haven't taken many scenic images. Scenics are where a mild wides to mild telephotos shine. True a longer lens will help when shooting your favorite hummingbird or a rattle snake, but when it comes to the type of photography most of us do while touring it's wide angles 95% of the time.:photographing:

Sorry, I didn't mean to get into a P------Contest, to each his own, I've had Digital cameras ever sense they come out, I think I'm on my 6th one! Your evidently the pro! I was just giving my opinion on a very good quality camera for the price and as far as I'm concerned you can't beat the Leica optics and what you pay for in this camera! And I guess I'm a three legged rock because with the stabilizer features I do get some very good scenic pictures! I didn't say 30X, I said 12X Optical! I'm sure Dingy will be happy with his new camera and he probably won't only be taking "touring pictures" with it...

Larry M

I'm the culprit who mentioned the 30x optical zoom. With the advent of "anti-shake" and "stabilizers", these new superzooms work remarkably well at the long end. 30x may be pushing the envelope a bit but the 24x takes really sharp photos at the long end without a tripod or monopod.

Also, the long zoom isn't merely for distance - one can creatively take beautiful landscapes with a superzoom and use the length to help blur foregrounds or backgrounds and you can achieve some creative and attractive bokeh. It really depends on what one wants to shoot and how creative one wants their photos to be.

I do agree that the Leica lens are amongst the best!

now for me Im looking at the olympus series cameras. They are water proof to 10 or so feet, freeze proof to 14 dgrees and shock proof up to a 5 ft drop. These are features I want for hunting and they are of the slim style you are talikng about. All of these features are also good for the bike. When the wife and I ride there have been several times when she has had to pull over to put the camera up because it started raining.

David